Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which brokerage firms to use

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shiny Things

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

Which brokerage firms to use

Hello everybodyyyyyy,

I'm just a beginner trying to get into investing but i am not sure which brokerage firm I should use. I was wondering if you guys would be able to recommend me some brokerage firms which you have used before? I am actually looking to invest in both the overseas market such as NASDAQ etc. (yes, i'm aware of the risks) and the Singapore market so i would prefer to have lower commission fees and would prefer if there were no inactivity fees as I don't think I will be trading very frequently.

I was also wondering if you guys would have any advice as to how much money would be the recommended amount invest in each position. Would appreciate your help sifus
skyhigh0919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Not Lim & Tan they have issues with their 'live prices' feed.

Cannot get current prices sometimes especially during crucial time.
Belle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

Hello everybodyyyyyy,

I'm just a beginner trying to get into investing but i am not sure which brokerage firm I should use. I was wondering if you guys would be able to recommend me some brokerage firms which you have used before? I am actually looking to invest in both the overseas market such as NASDAQ etc. (yes, i'm aware of the risks) and the Singapore market so i would prefer to have lower commission fees and would prefer if there were no inactivity fees as I don't think I will be trading very frequently.

I was also wondering if you guys would have any advice as to how much money would be the recommended amount invest in each position. Would appreciate your help sifus
There isn't really one good answer for both local and international markets.

The best broker for international markets is Interactive Brokers, but a) they have a minimum monthly brokerage fee, which you said you don't want; and b) they don't allow Singaporean residents to trade Singaporean stocks, for reasons that have never been made entirely clear.

Stanchart is not a bad answer. They have a $10 minimum brokerage fee, give you access to a lot of markets, and don't have a minimum activity fee. Maybe give them a shot.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
Master Member

If u are below 26years old. Check out jumpstart by scb

Sent from My CPF Account using GAGT
Seah.tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #5

If u are below 26years old. Check out jumpstart by scb

Sent from My CPF Account using GAGT
Wow nice. Thanks for sharing. Too bad i too old.

@skyhigh0919: Maybe $5k on each market for starter? A comfortable amount that wun hurt u too much if u suay suay lose all.

Last edited by wutawa; 07-11-2019 at 08:47 AM..
wutawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #6

Cheapest now I think is FSMone at 0,08%. If got 200k to throw in. Then it flat rate sgd 10 regardless the trading amount.
ceciltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #7

The best broker for international markets is Interactive Brokers, but a) they have a minimum monthly brokerage fee, which you said you don't want; and b) they don't allow Singaporean residents to trade Singaporean stocks, for reasons that have never been made entirely clear.

Stanchart is not a bad answer. They have a $10 minimum brokerage fee, give you access to a lot of markets, and don't have a minimum activity fee. Maybe give them a shot.
yeahhh I wanted to open a LITE account with Interactive Brokers but later realised it was only catered to US citizens. I've checked out Jumpstart SC and it seems pretty attractive to me.

I was actually thinking of opening an account with DBS Vickers mainly for the local market and another with an online broker for international market.

Has anyone of you used Saxo Markets before? their commission fees seems pretty good 0.06% (min. USD 4, max. USD 100)*, annual custody fee of 0.12%.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

Cheapest now I think is FSMone at 0,08%. If got 200k to throw in. Then it flat rate sgd 10 regardless the trading amount.
I wish I have 200k to throw in hahaha
Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #9

Is it me or SCB charts are damn jialat ? Log in to see see , no candle , no 1min 5 min.. cannot see volume etc etc

hansen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:34 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

Has anyone of you used Saxo Markets before? their commission fees seems pretty good 0.06% (min. USD 4, max. USD 100)*, annual custody fee of 0.12%.
Noooo, no no no. Never ever ever pay custody fees. Those are a ripoff.

Saxo used to be good, but sometime in the last few years they've started jacking up their commissions and imposing bogus custody fees. Don't encourage them.
Ilovemathstutor likes this.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #11

Noooo, no no no. Never ever ever pay custody fees. Those are a ripoff.

Saxo used to be good, but sometime in the last few years they've started jacking up their commissions and imposing bogus custody fees. Don't encourage them.
Trade via Cfd then. In any case, fees can always be negotiated.if one is an active trader.
DukeCS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.