HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buying International Stocks / Shares

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Buying International Stocks / Shares

Dear all,

I am a new investor and would like some advice on how to start investing in stocks internationally such as in the NYSE. Could someone please recommend a broker that I can use to buy stocks internationally? Or should I simply stick with the local ones?

Please, I really need to seek the advice of others on how to proceed about buying stocks in the U.S stock market and the best route to doing so.

Thank you for your help.
TalkZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

Interactive brokers, key advantage is you can fund your account with SGD and they have very low commissions.
d5dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

But Interactive Broker will start charging USD$10 per month after your first 3 months unless your account hit $100K USD. Despite that, i still feel that IB is still the best... Comm is really cheap
arcan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #4

Dyodd if u r starting with overseas stocks. They r much more complicated than the local mkt.
wutawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #5

But Interactive Broker will start charging USD$10 per month after your first 3 months unless your account hit $100K USD. Despite that, i still feel that IB is still the best... Comm is really cheap
The $10 is a minimum activity fee, there is no charge if he spends at least $10 comm a month.
d5dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

well if u use accounts like dbs vickers or ocbc u also need to pay $2 per quarter for 1 counter...
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

well if u use accounts like dbs vickers or ocbc u also need to pay $2 per quarter for 1 counter...
you mean per month?
Old 17-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #8

Interactive brokers, key advantage is you can fund your account with SGD and they have very low commissions.
Thank you all for your recommendations!

Last edited by TalkZen; 17-05-2020 at 11:38 PM..
TalkZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #9

Dear all,

I am a new investor and would like some advice on how to start investing in stocks internationally such as in the NYSE. Could someone please recommend a broker that I can use to buy stocks internationally? Or should I simply stick with the local ones?

Please, I really need to seek the advice of others on how to proceed about buying stocks in the U.S stock market and the best route to doing so.

Thank you for your help.
Hi

I started invest in stock last month. What i did was to open an account with Fundsupermart and then i am able to purchase stocks/etf/unit trusts from US, SG and HK using cash/cpf and everything i did it myself online. I didnt compare admin/management fees etc so i do not know whether FSM is cheap.
layang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #10

Hi

I started invest in stock last month. What i did was to open an account with Fundsupermart and then i am able to purchase stocks/etf/unit trusts from US, SG and HK using cash/cpf and everything i did it myself online. I didnt compare admin/management fees etc so i do not know whether FSM is cheap.
Fsm is 1 of the cheapest brokers. Which stock did u buy?
Old 17-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

interactive brokers best for daytrading
too bad no zero commissions for singaporeans
Kapish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 11:09 PM   #12

if you buy and hold for overseas shares, and hold for many months or years, use stanchart. They have zero custodian fee. But their comm rate is high, albeit with lower min. comm fee.

But bear in mind, their quote is not live. So only suitable for non daytrading type of user.
anytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 11:40 PM   #13
Master Member

if you buy and hold for overseas shares, and hold for many months or years, use stanchart. They have zero custodian fee. But their comm rate is high, albeit with lower min. comm fee.

But bear in mind, their quote is not live. So only suitable for non daytrading type of user.
It still depends, if you're using SCB for converting from sgd to usd for your foreign stock, taking a best case lowest 0.5% fx spread on $10K, that's an additional $50+ that you're paying for fx compared to IB which is $2 and counts into the min. commission per month anyway.
crystalnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 12:21 AM   #14

It still depends, if you're using SCB for converting from sgd to usd for your foreign stock, taking a best case lowest 0.5% fx spread on $10K, that's an additional $50+ that you're paying for fx compared to IB which is $2 and counts into the min. commission per month anyway.
Hmm... i did not go too deep into fx. But i know i lost quite a bit in forex playing shares. Which may not be attractive any more if gain is not substantial.
anytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #15

I heard scb fx is the lowest as compared to other banks. Scb comms rate is definitely highest at 0.20~0.25%.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.