Singapore Airlines *Official* (SGX:C6L)

NobleGrp

Reaction score
Given recent high pricesof crude oil, Both SIA and tiger air will be affected, but please do remember that SIA has fuel surcharges levied upon passengers while tiger air does not have any surcharge levied to passengers.

Last edited:

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hahaha dun look liao lah
it will juz make u more "cak sim"

Not "kek sim", it is "long pia" liao. Bang wall.

Now is 14.08!!! The rally I had been dreaming off....but I sold off at 13.76!!!!:s16:

ngeo12

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singapore Airlines!

with such a statement, what do we expect for the share prices?
i am thinking of buying 1 lot tml.. :lick:

The Group achieved a net profit attributable to equity holders of $1,092 million for the 2010-11 financial year, an increase of $876 million from the $216 million profit last financial year, which was adversely affected by the global financial crisis.

on 2nd thought.. i expect prices to rise sharply.. then after XD, price then drop.. is it likely that the price differences before and after divident actually exceeds the said divident of $1.4?

Last edited:

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By the way, pls dun make the same mistake as AR with his SIA Eng .

Just to be clear, if you buy now, you will only get $1.20 and not $1.40 as 20c has been paid out as interim dividend.

The ex-date is a long time away. Between now and then, a lot of things can happen. The worst time to buy into a stock for its dividend is 1 or 2 day after it announced its result.

(Vested)

WindBoi

Reaction score
there should be a topic on SIA already. lets not open up another topic on this lol

Alphidius

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Financial Results FY2010/2011 Q4

Financial Report: Here
Press Release: Here
Presentation Slides: Here

Q4 YoY Net Profit: (31%) (Cited higher fuel cost)
FY YoY Net Profit: 1917% (I think I got this wrong but 1271 mil vs 63 mil should be along those lines... Someone help me verify please)
Dividends: $0.40 (Final) + $0.80 (Special)

Comments?

Jarlaxle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after QE2
if USD is up
oil should come down

then SIA will chiong somemore
provided they dun go and hedge stupidly and create huge losses like they previously do LOL

ngeo12

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after QE2
if USD is up
oil should come down

then SIA will chiong somemore
provided they dun go and hedge stupidly and create huge losses like they previously do LOL

full story please? i am new.. :yawn:

starbugs

Master Member
Reaction score
Financial Results FY2010/2011 Q4

Financial Report: Here
Press Release: Here
Presentation Slides: Here

Q4 YoY Net Profit: (31%) (Cited higher fuel cost)
FY YoY Net Profit: 1917% (I think I got this wrong but 1271 mil vs 63 mil should be along those lines... Someone help me verify please)
Dividends: $0.40 (Final) + $0.80 (Special)

Comments?

I personally think SIA could have used the money better, rather than giving a straight special dividend.

From my post elsewhere:

When TLC companies give special dividends, it is often not that they can afford to pay. It signals Temasek is up to something.

Years ago, NOL was also "forced" to cough up blood to pay a special dividend even though it (rightly) wanted to expand its logistics business to reduce the reliance on container shipping.

Months later, Temasek bought Shin Corp. The rest of the story, you already know.

Last edited:

WindBoi

Reaction score
SIA shouldn't have problems paying that. that said, they could buy another carrier or subsidiary? do you think other airlines are cheap?

or would u prefer they do a share buyback.

starbugs

Master Member
Reaction score
Share buy back is one way, not just its own shares. SIA Engg looks like it's doing well, so buyback of SIA Engg's shares also a possibility.

For investments, the opportunity with China Eastern is probably still viable. Virgin Atlantic is a really interesting prospect if SIA can up stakes and get management control. However, SIA is probably still haunted by the investment with Air NZ.

Also, there is >$1bil of notes payable on SIA's balance sheet that could be paid down. You got to wonder why they issued bonds not long ago, then pay all of that out as special dividends. Answer is probably as stated in my previous post.

3dfxplayer

Reaction score
Share buy back is one way, not just its own shares. SIA Engg looks like it's doing well, so buyback of SIA Engg's shares also a possibility.

For investments, the opportunity with China Eastern is probably still viable. Virgin Atlantic is a really interesting prospect if SIA can up stakes and get management control. However, SIA is probably still haunted by the investment with Air NZ.

Also, there is >$1bil of notes payable on SIA's balance sheet that could be paid down. You got to wonder why they issued bonds not long ago, then pay all of that out as special dividends. Answer is probably as stated in my previous post.

The bonds only pay a pathetic 2.15% coupon over 5 years, any smart CFO would have taken advantage of the current low interest rate/high inflation environment to raise cash, moreover this was such a good deal. The investors who bought these bonds are going to be slaughtered so bad...

Last edited:

vinciee88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The bonds only pay a pathetic 2.15% coupon over 5 years, any smart CFO would have taken advantage of the current low interest rate/high inflation environment to raise cash, moreover this was such a good deal. The investors who bought these bonds are going to be slaughtered so bad...

that's true...i was wondering why investors are crazy over their BONDS when it pays a 2.15% only...buying their bond is like falling into their trap...making one's money look cheap.:s7:

starbugs

Master Member
Reaction score

I would agree in a normal case, but here, what SIA is doing is equivalent to borrowing money from bondholders and using all the proceeds to pay the special dividend.

WindBoi

Reaction score
I would agree in a normal case, but here, what SIA is doing is equivalent to borrowing money from bondholders and using all the proceeds to pay the special dividend.

the question is do they really need to do that? do people see SIA as a truley yield stock? i dun thnk u need to pay people 5-6% to be happy with sia. growth + 3% is good.

only low growth companies like Neratel, singtel and starhub do people look for low yield as a disastorous indication

3dfxplayer

Reaction score

SIA didn't need to sell bonds to pay the special dividend at all, they have over 7b net cash and very little long term debt. As I said, the bond sale was purely a strategic move to raise extremely cheap cash for the company, 2.15% for a 5 yr bond is ridiculously low yield if you look at how much more the other companies have had to pay, even F&N had to pay 2.48% for their recent 5yr bond issue.

The biggest losers in this equation are the bond holders, shareholders can't lose.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.