HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Like Tree964Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #2146

better call customer service or email them in black and white to ask the charges. some of the charges are not worth to pay
Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #2147

looking through old threads on scb, i seem to get differing views. can anybody trading etfs on the lse confirm if scb is currently charging the 0.5% stamp duty? thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #2148
Master Member

looking through old threads on scb, i seem to get differing views. can anybody trading etfs on the lse confirm if scb is currently charging the 0.5% stamp duty? thanks
Well, I think you will have to pay for the stamp duty. What kind of exchange allows certain investors using certain platform to siam stamp duty? :/
Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #2149

The stamp duty is imposed by LSE, not SCB. But I heard they are going to do away with this one.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #2150
Arch-Supremacy Member

One newbie question to ask...

I understand that SCB is the custodian of the shares which means I can only sell through them. What's the biggie compared to holding inside my CDP when both allows me sell the shares if I wanted to?

What is is that I am missing here?
Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #2151

I understand that SCB is the custodian of the shares which means I can only sell through them. What's the biggie compared to holding inside my CDP when both allows me sell the shares if I wanted to?

You are not missing anything. The concept you have to grasp here is that of the role of a custodian. Both SCB and CDP, as well as POEMS and a few others, provide custodial services of shares. The very reason why CDP is always mentioned is because it is big and many Singaporeans associated them with shares trading and investment.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #2152
Arch-Supremacy Member

it is the transaction charges. 0.2%. Worth it if stock price is less than SGD9.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #2153
Arch-Supremacy Member

You are not missing anything. The concept you have to grasp here is that of the role of a custodian. Both SCB and CDP, as well as POEMS and a few others, provide custodial services of shares. The very reason why CDP is always mentioned is because it is big and many Singaporeans associated them with shares trading and investment.
it is the transaction charges. 0.2%. Worth it if stock price is less than SGD9.
Yeah I know the pros side of SCB. Just confused to why do people see SCB worst off as the custodian when compared to CDP, unless SCB could be gone in near future which is not the case?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #2154

Yeah I know the pros side of SCB. Just confused to why do people see SCB worst off as the custodian when compared to CDP, unless SCB could be gone in near future which is not the case?
I would say it is more of a perception by most traders and investors here.

CDP has been around for so long, and it has been associated with SGX, therefore it is perceived to be safe. To some, the very thought of shares being held by someone else other than CDP is considered "unsafe", and furthermore global banks had taken the flak due to the Great Recession period of 2008-2009.
Steyr69 likes this.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #2155

SCB, what is the requirements to open a trading account? Im pissed as I visited a branch with my money to open a trading account and was told I could not because:

1) I dont hold a degree
2) I dont have experience in trading
3) I dont work in related sector.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #2156

SCB, what is the requirements to open a trading account? Im pissed as I visited a branch with my money to open a trading account and was told I could not because:

1) I dont hold a degree
2) I dont have experience in trading
3) I dont work in related sector.
It is not SCB requirement - it is MAS mandatory requirement for all individual retail investors. You need to be tested / assessed for each individual brokerage account.

Customer Knowledge Assessment & Customer Account Review Phillip Futures Portal

What is this SGX online quiz you are advising me to do? http://sgx.com/onlineeducation/speci...stmentproducts
The SGX Quiz is an online module by the SGX exchange to educate investors on listed SIPs. Completing the module and passing the SGX online quiz will qualify you for the CAR Assessment to trade Futures/Options.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #2157
Greater Supremacy Member

It is not SCB requirement - it is MAS mandatory requirement for all individual retail investors. You need to be tested / assessed for each individual brokerage account.

Customer Knowledge Assessment & Customer Account Review Phillip Futures Portal

What is this SGX online quiz you are advising me to do? http://sgx.com/onlineeducation/speci...stmentproducts
The SGX Quiz is an online module by the SGX exchange to educate investors on listed SIPs. Completing the module and passing the SGX online quiz will qualify you for the CAR Assessment to trade Futures/Options.
well MAS treat normal shares as non-sip

only scb treat normal shares as sip

So you need not to be tested / assessed for each individual brokerage account if you are not interested to buy SIP

Last edited by Sinkie; 10-03-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Old 10-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #2158

well MAS treat normal shares as non-sip

only scb treat normal shares as sip

So you need not to be tested / assessed for each individual brokerage account if you are not interested to buy SIP
Im just interested to buy shares at zerp minmium comission. Headache they say have to do 6 min transaction before then can apply. I buy sell 3 times can alr but a waste of money. I asked the manager on hownthey can tell if I dont have experience. He said theres no way they can tell. T.T
Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #2159
Great Supremacy Member

can I sell odd lots through SCB?
anyone knows?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #2160
Greater Supremacy Member

can I sell odd lots through SCB?
anyone knows?
Not that I am aware of but heard can call rm to sell oddlot for you. Try contacting your scb rm ba..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.