HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Like Tree964Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #256

Anybody noticed the chart in the SCB's trading account looks inaccurate? Or is it my settings wrong?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Late July the stock was 14+-.. It doesnt look like exchange rate prob since 14/1.22 would be in $11.6+-.
Late July is 13 plus, nothing wrong...
Old 30-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #257
High Supremacy Member

Does this form allowed us not to be taxed at 30% for capital gains arising from trading in the US market?
Yeah..it's to inform them whether you are a US resident or not

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...#axzz1WWnY8qVB
The tax implications for a foreign investor will depend on whether that person is classified as a resident alien or a non-resident alien. To be considered a non-resident alien, a person must meet several guidelines. First of all, the person cannot have had a green card at any time during the relevant tax reporting period (e.g 2005) and cannot have resided in the U.S. for more than 183 days in the past three years, including the current reporting period. However, non-U.S. citizens who hold green cards and have been in the U.S. for more than 183 days are classified as resident aliens for tax purposes and are subject to different guidelines than non-resident aliens.

If you fall under the non-resident alien category and the only business you have in the U.S. is in investments (stocks, mutual funds, commodities) within a U.S. dollar-denominated brokerage firm or other agent, you are subject to the following tax guidelines. In terms of capital gains, non-resident aliens are subject to no U.S. capital gains tax, and no money will be withheld by the brokerage firm. This does not mean, however, that you can trade tax free - you will likely need to pay capital gains tax in your country of origin. In terms of dividends, non-resident aliens face a dividend tax rate of 30% on dividends paid out by U.S. companies. However, they are excluded from this tax if the dividends are paid by foreign companies or are interest-related dividends or short-term capital gain dividends. This 30% rate can also be lower depending on the treaty between your home country and the U.S., so it is important that you contact your brokerage firm to verify the rate. If you are a resident alien and hold a green card or satisfy the resident rules (183 days), you are subject to the same tax rules as any U.S. citizen.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...#ixzz1WWnlNpon

Last edited by Azzizz81; 30-08-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Old 31-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #258
Supremacy Member

Late July is 13 plus, nothing wrong...
arround 14.5 there.. before the XD..
Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #259
Master Member

Hi all,

Sharing a few cons of SCB platform:

1. SCB at times submit orders late to SGX.
Did a sell order the previous day at counter X today's buy price, trade only take place 20++ secs later. i gt the 1st trade for this counter FYI.

2. Orders entered after 12am midnight may / may not be successful?
Order status did not reflect new inputs after 12am midnight. now im nt even sure whether my inputs will be entered until tml morning.

Thumbs down for SCB in this case but as mentioned, its no commission is a plus for 1 to have.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #260
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi all,

Sharing a few cons of SCB platform:

1. SCB at times submit orders late to SGX.
Did a sell order the previous day at counter X today's buy price, trade only take place 20++ secs later. i gt the 1st trade for this counter FYI.

2. Orders entered after 12am midnight may / may not be successful?
Order status did not reflect new inputs after 12am midnight. now im nt even sure whether my inputs will be entered until tml morning.

Thumbs down for SCB in this case but as mentioned, its no commission is a plus for 1 to have.
1) very subjective point. it depends on the demand/supply of the shares. if you buy at the market price, it will get executed quite fast.

2) yes there is a certain window period you cant submit to queue overnight.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #261
Master Member

1) very subjective point. it depends on the demand/supply of the shares. if you buy at the market price, it will get executed quite fast.
I put a sell at 0.50 on 29th Aug after market close. Market open on 31th, counter buy up is 0.50, sell is 0.505 at 08:59:00. However, the trade only took place at 09:00:23. I was the 1st to get the trade. Its a fact and i want to warn all bros and sis here that SCB might be laggier than other platforms.

2) yes there is a certain window period you cant submit to queue overnight.
Yes, after 12am midnight all orders put in are not effective.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #262
Supremacy Member

I logged into my SCB bank using Galax Tab.. but realize I was unable to trade..
Are there any ways I can trade on Tab?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #263

I logged into my SCB bank using Galax Tab.. but realize I was unable to trade..
Are there any ways I can trade on Tab?
wat browser u using? though i never trade using the tab. i just log in and access all the way to the selling part. i am using dolphin hd as browser.

and is your display set up as desktop on the tab when surfing.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #264
Supremacy Member

wat browser u using? though i never trade using the tab. i just log in and access all the way to the selling part. i am using dolphin hd as browser.

and is your display set up as desktop on the tab when surfing.
default setting.. default browser.. maybe that's the cause..
let me try dolphin..
thank you for the idea..
Old 02-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #265
Greater Supremacy Member

Yes, after 12am midnight all orders put in are not effective.
I was told You cant participate in pre open and pre close matching
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #266
Arch-Supremacy Member

default setting.. default browser.. maybe that's the cause..
let me try dolphin..
thank you for the idea..
its the user agent setting. use dolphin browser and set user agent as desktop.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #267

just want to share info. thanks to this thread, i knew exactly what to tell the guy who assisted me in opening the e-saver and trading account. however, while waiting for the paperwork to be completed, another staff approached me to offer their insurance-linked savings plan. good thing i was able to turn it down somehow. anyways, i got a temp user ID and password to create my online banking ID. have yet to wait for the trading account to be activated. too bad i missed the 'free 2 trades' promo which ended last aug 31.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #268
Master Member

Huh? U mean no more free 2 trades after aug ? I got my account activated in jul but have not traded yet. So gone case Liao?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #269

Huh? U mean no more free 2 trades after aug ? I got my account activated in jul but have not traded yet. So gone case Liao?
no more free trades if you sign up after aug 31 i think. since u signed up before that, should be qualified still.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #270
High Supremacy Member

Anyone who signed up for SCB trading account recently? I was signing up at the branch when another relationship manager intro me a fixed-deposit plan, saying it's an on-going promotion tie-up with opening of SCB trading account.

It sounds pretty tempting and interests starts from 0.75% right up to 28++%... The fixed deposit duration can choose between 15, 20 or 25 yrs. First 2 years, can't take out money. After 2 years, can take out 50%. Thereafter, can take out a portion if in need of cash.

Anyone heard of it?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.