Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi all noob question here.

basically if i were to hold a US stock with option to receive dividends in the form of stock dividend/scrip dividend, am i able to have this choice if i purchase through SCB? How do i choose this on the trading platform

They would send you a letter and a sms whenever you have dividends coming and ask if you want cash or shares. You need to call them back after receiving the letter/sms to tell them your decision.

d3ject

Reaction score
Delisted Stocks

Does anyone know how SCB treats stocks in your portfolio that get delisted?
Does ownership automatically transfer to you or do they still manage it?

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how SCB treats stocks in your portfolio that get delisted?
Does ownership automatically transfer to you or do they still manage it?

I think in theory it should transfer to you, but best to call and check.

Another Q: r we able to see counter parties when we purchase counters from SCB?

No. 10 char.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all noob question here.

basically if i were to hold a US stock with option to receive dividends in the form of stock dividend/scrip dividend, am i able to have this choice if i purchase through SCB? How do i choose this on the trading platform

Yes, but don't rely on the letters, as they are subject to the speed of the postal service. Better to be proactive and call back when they SMS you with the corporate action details for the counter you're holding, otherwise, by the time you receive the letter, it's too late to choose. :s22:

potatoe8

Reaction score
How long did you guys wait for your trading account to be opened, from the date of application at their branch till the date you receive your account information by mail?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Mine took 2 weeks due to some missing papers and stuff.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ahh i see. guess i got to wait till 21 then. I'm 20 this year.

Take your time, you are young. Don't need to rush in. The overall market is high anyway. 1 year browsing all the threads here should help you tremendously, also look at trading with rayner on the moneymind thread and look at bloggers like dividends warrior, ak's A Singaporean Stockmarket Investor (ASSI) blog, investmentmoats blog etc...

Tons to learn from them.

MrSinkie95

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Take your time, you are young. Don't need to rush in. The overall market is high anyway. 1 year browsing all the threads here should help you tremendously, also look at trading with rayner on the moneymind thread and look at bloggers like dividends warrior, ak's A Singaporean Stockmarket Investor (ASSI) blog, investmentmoats blog etc...

Tons to learn from them.

will do. thanks for the advice..

Tornesoul

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi does any1 know if its possible to access online trading via mobile? I login-ed via breeze and although i can see my deposits and transfer money, there is no tab that allows online trading as far as i can see. Overseas atm

Appreciate the help!

Sent from Sent from where? using GAGT

agenda

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been looking at starting a trading account and SCB seems to be one that would suit my current need but I read about the CAR test, would forex fall under SIP or not?

Also, is it recommended to use a brokerage if i just wanna invest in etfs and bonds for the foreseeable future? When people talk about returns, that is the capital gain right? Not dividend?

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been looking at starting a trading account and SCB seems to be one that would suit my current need but I read about the CAR test, would forex fall under SIP or not?

Also, is it recommended to use a brokerage if i just wanna invest in etfs and bonds for the foreseeable future? When people talk about returns, that is the capital gain right? Not dividend?

You traded forex before? Not sure about this but should be valid.
From DBS, SIP products
http://www.dbsvonline.com/English/Help/FSIP.ASP#Q2

What else can you use beside brokerages to buy etf and bond cheaply?
When people talk about returns, it's usually total returns including dividends and capital gains.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Tons to learn from them.

Since you're under 21, you can still open a POSB InvestSaver/OCBC Blue Chip/POEMS Share Builder/Maybank-KE Monthly Investment account and buy certain stocks (since they require you to be at least 18). Each one has their own pros and cons, though, so do some Google searching before deciding on one

disavowed

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you dont use a brokerage how else do u buy these financial products? Returns can be both capital gains and dividends. Im interested to know how you started on forex before touching on these less complex products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.