HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Like Tree964Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #3076
Great Supremacy Member

Guys, the speculation in this thread is completely insane. Cut it out.

Here is the deal.

STANDARD CHARTERED'S RETAIL EQUITIES BROKERAGE IS STILL OPEN. NOTHING IS HAPPENING TO YOUR SHARES.

They are closing down the instititutional cash equities business. What that means is:

1) They're not doing investment-banking stuff - IPOs, rights offerings, things like that;
2) They're not doing brokerage for big customers (hedge funds, mutual funds, that sort of thing).
3) They're only closing down the cash equities business - they're still doing equity derivatives. (Which seems a bit odd, why have a derivatives desk with no spot desk, but there you go.)

They are still doing brokerage for retail customers; they'll just be passing the flow straight through to the exchange or to another market-maker. Basically they're turning themselves into E*Trade.

And this is just ridiculous:

The shutdown was a business decision because they weren't making any money out of the institutional cash equities business. The sht is not hitting the fan; there is no sht, and there is no fan. Saying "under the table anything can happen" is just silly - by that standard you shouldn't even invest in shares in the first place.

Stanchart is healthy. If you panicked and transferred all your shares out (or, even worse, panicked and sold all your shares and paid a bunch of commission and spread cross), it's probably time to sit back and un-panic and maybe bring your shares back in.

Stop with the dumb speculation, all of you.
Hello shiny,

anything can happen, and by that standard, I invest in shares. anything can happen irregardless where I put my money anyway. And when I say under the table(I should not use that term), I'm not implying scb is doing anything dodgy.
Just that they may still change their stance or make any number of changes, and if it comes into effect immediately like that layoff, it would gave little time to adjust.

Btw, I am still invested inside scb so I didn't panic.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #3077
High Supremacy Member

at most sell off to dbsvickers

or uobkayhian

dun worry

its all fake paper money anyway

its not real
Old 10-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #3078
Arch-Supremacy Member

Guys, the speculation in this thread is completely insane. Cut it out.

Here is the deal.

STANDARD CHARTERED'S RETAIL EQUITIES BROKERAGE IS STILL OPEN. NOTHING IS HAPPENING TO YOUR SHARES.

They are closing down the instititutional cash equities business. What that means is:

1) They're not doing investment-banking stuff - IPOs, rights offerings, things like that;
2) They're not doing brokerage for big customers (hedge funds, mutual funds, that sort of thing).
3) They're only closing down the cash equities business - they're still doing equity derivatives. (Which seems a bit odd, why have a derivatives desk with no spot desk, but there you go.)

They are still doing brokerage for retail customers; they'll just be passing the flow straight through to the exchange or to another market-maker. Basically they're turning themselves into E*Trade.

And this is just ridiculous:

The shutdown was a business decision because they weren't making any money out of the institutional cash equities business. The sht is not hitting the fan; there is no sht, and there is no fan. Saying "under the table anything can happen" is just silly - by that standard you shouldn't even invest in shares in the first place.

Stanchart is healthy. If you panicked and transferred all your shares out (or, even worse, panicked and sold all your shares and paid a bunch of commission and spread cross), it's probably time to sit back and un-panic and maybe bring your shares back in.

Stop with the dumb speculation, all of you.
Glad to see a voice of reason in this sea of chaos
Old 10-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #3079
Supremacy Member

I dont think the 50k SDIC covers shares in a custodian account.

https://www.sdic.org.sg/di_scope_of_coverage.php
Hey, thanks for sharing this. Didn't know that they don't cover.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #3080
High Supremacy Member

I liquidated yesterday, staying away from the market and waiting for sale and for oil to hit the bottom, that is when I re enter
felixleong likes this.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #3081
Banned

I liquidated yesterday, staying away from the market and waiting for sale and for oil to hit the bottom, that is when I re enter
u very zhun leh, US fri night red red... europe red red... just nice u next week can buy back cheaper liao hahaha
Old 10-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #3082
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well, I still trust Standard Chartered, so i haven't pulled out my holdings.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #3083

I like this idea. Something like a discount brokerage.
Asphodeli and Perisher like this.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #3084
Banned

Glad to see a voice of reason in this sea of chaos
saw your avatar

RO assassin? power la~
Old 10-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #3085

anyone knows what happen to our shares if scb close down? kanna makan or what?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #3086
Supremacy Member

anyone knows what happen to our shares if scb close down? kanna makan or what?
SCB IS NOT GOING TO CLOSE DOWN.

Even if they did, here is what would happen: the brokerage accounts would probably just get their shares handed to them, and then you can do what you like with those shares.

Shares in a brokerage account are just as safe as cash in the bank. In some circumstances they're even safer.
wahkao3 and Bedokian like this.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #3087

the brokerage accounts would probably just get their shares handed to them, and then you can do what you like with those shares.

what u mean by this? i thought scb is the custodian, its not like other banks where cdp is the custodian

who are the brokerage that get our shares?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #3088

SCB IS NOT GOING TO CLOSE DOWN.

Even if they did, here is what would happen: the brokerage accounts would probably just get their shares handed to them, and then you can do what you like with those shares.

Shares in a brokerage account are just as safe as cash in the bank. In some circumstances they're even safer.
Do you think scb will implement minimun commission soon?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #3089
Arch-Supremacy Member

the brokerage accounts would probably just get their shares handed to them, and then you can do what you like with those shares.

what u mean by this? i thought scb is the custodian, its not like other banks where cdp is the custodian

who are the brokerage that get our shares?
do u mean if the whole bank scb closes down or just the trading platform ?

if just the trading platform.. and main scb still there.. come on lah, they have a reputation to uphold, you think you will suka suka just let your shares disappear and risk their reputation meh....... definitely will give warning one wat or find a suitable solution for everyone

but if the whole of scb goes down.. then that's a different story
Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #3090
High Supremacy Member

what circumstances?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.