Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Like Tree964Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #3256
Supremacy Member

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/st...233001013.html

After reading this article, i feel like closing my SCB account.

Any other brokerage (non local ones) offer competitive comm rates?
First paragraph of article https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/st...233001013.html
Dollarsandsense.sg shares why using Standard Chartered Bank Singapore’s (SCBS) Online Equities Trading platform could potentially cause you to lose all your stocks should the company folds its operations.

I think someone ought to tell the writer Marcus Chua of Dollars and Sense that if SCB closes the business, our stocks are still intact. Closing a subsidiary business is different from the entire business (parent + all subsidiaries) going bankrupt. If Marcus Chua is worried about SCB, the entire bank, going bankrupt, then all of us have better things to worry about. Worry about your deposits in all banks if SCB goes bust because of the financial contagion effect.

I think it is highly unethical to get the facts wrong and smear a business reputation. When the business is adversely affected because of fear-mongering, jobs can be lost even if the writer is spreading untruths.
Perisher likes this.

Last edited by klarklar; 21-01-2015 at 08:25 PM..
Old 21-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #3257
Arch-Supremacy Member

First paragraph of article https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/st...233001013.html
Dollarsandsense.sg shares why using Standard Chartered Bank Singapore’s (SCBS) Online Equities Trading platform could potentially cause you to lose all your stocks should the company folds its operations.

I think someone ought to tell the writer Marcus Chua of Dollars and Sense that if SCB closes the business, our stocks are still intact. Closing a subsidiary business is different from the entire business (parent + all subsidiaries) going bankrupt. If Marcus Chua is worried about SCB, the entire bank, going bankrupt, then all of us have better things to worry about. Worry about your deposits in other banks if SCB goes bust because of the financial contagion effect.

I think it is highly unethical to get the facts wrong and smear a business reputation. When the business is adversely affected because of fear-mongering, jobs can be lost even if the writer is spreading untruths.
maybe he has other aims, he is not happy that a lot of stocks are rising due to reduction to 100/lot and no min com from SCB, aka he has missed the boat
wahkao3 and Perisher like this.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #3258
Greater Supremacy Member

maybe he has other aims, he is not happy that a lot of stocks are rising due to reduction to 100/lot and no min com from SCB, aka he has missed the boat
The author doesn't know what's he is writing lah.. Zzzzz
Perisher likes this.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #3259
Supremacy Member

It will be interesting to know if the article was sponsored by SCB's competitors. It is not uncommon for bloggers to write paid articles which by nature has to be biased.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #3260
Supremacy Member

The author doesn't know what's he is writing lah.. Zzzzz
That writer should take a leaf from Sinkie, our honest broker. Although Sinkie is SCB's competitor and benefits from SCB sinking, he at least agrees that the writer is writing rubbish. Sinkie, do you think our stocks will be potentially gone if SCB folds the online trading operation?
Asphodeli likes this.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #3261
Greater Supremacy Member

It will be interesting to know if the article was sponsored by SCB's competitors. It is not uncommon for bloggers to write paid articles which by nature has to be biased.
He's just trying to get readership lah haha
Old 21-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #3262
Greater Supremacy Member

That writer should take a leaf from Sinkie, our honest broker. Although Sinkie is SCB's competitor and benefits from SCB sinking, he at least agrees that the writer is writing rubbish. Sinkie, do you think our stocks will be potentially gone if SCB folds the online trading operation?
Gone le can go where? Unless of course Scb secretly transfer the shares from the nominee into their own book and then declare bankrupt lor
doody_ likes this.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #3263

When we invest on equity unit trusts, the fund managers don't own the share, do they? They don't have CDP system too.

So, I think the same concept applies for SCB. The shares are held by custodian.

Old 21-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #3264
Supremacy Member

Gone le can go where? Unless of course Scb secretly transfer the shares from the nominee into their own book and then declare bankrupt lor
Exactly. It is ok to be ignorant about the concept of segregated funds. However, to talk as if one is knowledgeable and warn people about totally misplaced fears thereby smearing the reputation of a business, I think that is very irresponsible. I wonder what will the action of SCB be. Will the writer want someone to do the same thing to him if he were running a business?

Last edited by klarklar; 21-01-2015 at 08:40 PM..
Old 21-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #3265
Great Supremacy Member

Marcus Chua:
I'm a junior analyst in a global established credit rating organisation.

Never trust credit rating organisation...
Old 21-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #3266
Supremacy Member

Marcus Chua:
I'm a junior analyst in a global established credit rating organisation.

Never trust credit rating organisation...
No wonder.
Old 22-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #3267

i see that there are 2 fields for selling - stop loss & lowest selling.

stop loss is used when price is below ur buy price to prevent further losses, whereas lowest selling is used to take profit when price is above ur buy price. pls correct me if i'm wrong.

so do we choose to input only 1 field or both fields?
Old 22-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #3268
Great Supremacy Member

i see that there are 2 fields for selling - stop loss & lowest selling.

stop loss is used when price is below ur buy price to prevent further losses, whereas lowest selling is used to take profit when price is above ur buy price. pls correct me if i'm wrong.

so do we choose to input only 1 field or both fields?
Stop loss, is the price where your sell will be triggered, meaning you are ready to sell at all cost at this price and below( BUT!! this low price has a floor, which is set by your lowest selling price) Any price below this lowest selling price would not be executed.

E.g. you wanna sell Singtel, stop loss at 3.95, lowest at 3.93.
In this case, your stop loss will be triggered once singtel price falls to or below 3.95. It will attempt to sell between the price of 3.95-3.93. Let's say singtel falls from 3.96 to 3.92, your order will not be executed.

Why have this? To prevent huge losses.
The standard sell can execute your 3.95 and below already. Meaning, if you die die wanna sell, set a low enough price and it will confirm be sold.
The 'stop loss, lowest' set a floor which if the price fall too much, you would rather hold the share then sell at this lousy price.
scratch.register likes this.
Old 22-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #3269

Stop loss, is the price where your sell will be triggered, meaning you are ready to sell at all cost at this price and below( BUT!! this low price has a floor, which is set by your lowest selling price) Any price below this lowest selling price would not be executed.

E.g. you wanna sell Singtel, stop loss at 3.95, lowest at 3.93.
In this case, your stop loss will be triggered once singtel price falls to or below 3.95. It will attempt to sell between the price of 3.95-3.93. Let's say singtel falls from 3.96 to 3.92, your order will not be executed.

Why have this? To prevent huge losses.
The standard sell can execute your 3.95 and below already. Meaning, if you die die wanna sell, set a low enough price and it will confirm be sold.
The 'stop loss, lowest' set a floor which if the price fall too much, you would rather hold the share then sell at this lousy price.
thanks!

so how about if i want to take profit using this stoploss/lowest selling?

let's say singtel is 3.95 and i want to take profit & sell when it reaches 4.. so lowest selling = 4, and stop loss = 4.05??
Old 22-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #3270
Great Supremacy Member

thanks!

so how about if i want to take profit using this stoploss/lowest selling?

let's say singtel is 3.95 and i want to take profit & sell when it reaches 4.. so lowest selling = 4, and stop loss = 4.05??
I understand what you wanna do but Stop loss is not for that.
If you simply wanna sell at $4, just sell at $4 using the normal sell.
Afaik, there is a trailing stop thing which scb doesn't have that help you take profit on a drop when price fall a little after a big rise.
Scb lacks a lot of the functions, but well it's cheap.

Last edited by Perisher; 22-01-2015 at 01:04 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.