HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Like Tree964Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #3391
Arch-Supremacy Member

oh, so means its being processed? i was just wondering if i still need to go down standard chartered another time to tell them i wana open the online trading..though i dont think the officer will be so blur to open the settlement account without the trading option right?
Definitely not la, cause I remember I also kanchiong spider cause got new account opened, I thought I would be charged $
Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #3392
Master Member

hi all

can I check if i choose dividend reinvestment as my option, the shares I will be given is a whole number right. what happens to the remainder of the dividends? say if dividend is $100 and the reinvestment shares is priced at $9. so I'll get 11 new shares, then what happens to that remaining $1?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #3393

How long will it take for the funds to be deducted frm the settlement acc and for units to be in the trading acc
Old 02-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #3394
Great Supremacy Member

hi all

can I check if i choose dividend reinvestment as my option, the shares I will be given is a whole number right. what happens to the remainder of the dividends? say if dividend is $100 and the reinvestment shares is priced at $9. so I'll get 11 new shares, then what happens to that remaining $1?
I done this before with a US counter, the leftover will be refunded into your account. As mine is a US counter, it took months.
I think the SG counters won't take that long but its up to the company to refund you(they will, just dunno when). SCB can only check but not do anything.

Ultimately, I advise people to take cash and reinvest themselves as there isn't any discount to do the reinvestment anyway.
wahkao3 and Bedokian like this.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #3395
Master Member

I done this before with a US counter, the leftover will be refunded into your account. As mine is a US counter, it took months.
I think the SG counters won't take that long but its up to the company to refund you(they will, just dunno when). SCB can only check but not do anything.

Ultimately, I advise people to take cash and reinvest themselves as there isn't any discount to do the reinvestment anyway.
thanks for your input.

there is usually a slight discount when opt for the reinvestment option. the recent MLT reinvestment exercise offered 1.18+ per share compared to its current value of 1.95. and if I take cash it will be too little for me to reinvest anyway so just take the reinvest option.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #3396
Great Supremacy Member

How long will it take for the funds to be deducted frm the settlement acc and for units to be in the trading acc
It's already deducted the moment your trade goes through though it's not reflected immediately in your trading account until a few days later. You may sell immediately too if you wish.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #3397
Great Supremacy Member

thanks for your input.

there is usually a slight discount when opt for the reinvestment option. the recent MLT reinvestment exercise offered 1.18+ per share compared to its current value of 1.95. and if I take cash it will be too little for me to reinvest anyway so just take the reinvest option.
That's a gigantic discount. Are you sure of that? Thank for the heads up, Looks like I should check all my local reinvestment shares thing because as far as I can remember, there is no discount.

edit: you mean 1.195? If I didn't remember wrongly, the letter states that it will reinvest at market price, that discount figure you see is only what it is at the time the letter is sent, it would be subject to market changes. In other words, it is not a discount, just happens that the price is that amount when they print.

Last edited by Perisher; 02-02-2015 at 03:11 PM..
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #3398

It's already deducted the moment your trade goes through though it's not reflected immediately in your trading account until a few days later. You may sell immediately too if you wish.
They haven't deduct anythiNg yet. Thats why i find it weird
Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #3399
Master Member

That's a gigantic discount. Are you sure of that? Thank for the heads up, Looks like I should check all my local reinvestment shares thing because as far as I can remember, there is no discount.

edit: you mean 1.195? If I didn't remember wrongly, the letter states that it will reinvest at market price, that discount figure you see is only what it is at the time the letter is sent, it would be subject to market changes. In other words, it is not a discount, just happens that the price is that amount when they print.
oh sorry yeah missed out the "1". it's a small discount but it's better than nth. and I can't do **** with the meagre amount of cash if I choose to take cash option anyway.

usually if the reit decides to pay dividends using new units they will announce its issue price, that price is usually lower than the current market value. of course no one will know what will happen to the market value come dividend payment date, which is on the 27th or 28th of this month. the following is an excerpt from the announcement:

Further to the Announcement dated 19 January 2015 by Mapletree Logistics Trust Management Ltd., as manager (the “Manager”) of Mapletree Logistics Trust (“MLT”) in relation to the application of the distribution reinvestment plan (“DRP”) to MLT’s distribution for the three months ended 31 December 2014 (the “3Q FY14/15 Distribution”), the Manager wishes to announce that the issue price of the new units in MLT (“Units”) to be issued under the DRP is S$1.1848 per Unit.
Perisher likes this.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #3400
Great Supremacy Member

oh sorry yeah missed out the "1". it's a small discount but it's better than nth. and I can't do **** with the meagre amount of cash if I choose to take cash option anyway.

usually if the reit decides to pay dividends using new units they will announce its issue price, that price is usually lower than the current market value. of course no one will know what will happen to the market value come dividend payment date, which is on the 27th or 28th of this month. the following is an excerpt from the announcement:

Further to the Announcement dated 19 January 2015 by Mapletree Logistics Trust Management Ltd., as manager (the “Manager”) of Mapletree Logistics Trust (“MLT”) in relation to the application of the distribution reinvestment plan (“DRP”) to MLT’s distribution for the three months ended 31 December 2014 (the “3Q FY14/15 Distribution”), the Manager wishes to announce that the issue price of the new units in MLT (“Units”) to be issued under the DRP is S$1.1848 per Unit.
Since you have done this using scb(I assumed) locally, so how long does it take for them to refund you the left over after XD?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #3401
Great Supremacy Member

They haven't deduct anythiNg yet. Thats why i find it weird
Erm, I think you are confused, like I said, it won't be shown immediately,it will be reflected only a few days(think it's 3) later. But you can use it already if what you did is sell. If you are buying, the same thing happened, so immediately you can't use whatever amount is shown in your account even if it shows there is $$ there.

E.g. you have 5k inside, u use 4k+/- plus to buy singtel, your account still show 5k, but if you try to buy anything more than 1k, cannot already. 3days later, it will be update to show you have 1k+/- left.
On the other hand, if you sell, say, you have 1k in your account, then you sell singtel 4k+/-, you immediately can use 5k to buy other things even though your account show 1k. likewise, it will be updated 3 days later.

Of course, if after 5 working days, and nothing in your account changes, are you sure your trade goes through already? if you are sure, then you better call scb and ask why there isn't any movement.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #3402

Erm, I think you are confused, like I said, it won't be shown immediately,it will be reflected only a few days(think it's 3) later. But you can use it already if what you did is sell. If you are buying, the same thing happened, so immediately you can't use whatever amount is shown in your account even if it shows there is $$ there.

E.g. you have 5k inside, u use 4k+/- plus to buy singtel, your account still show 5k, but if you try to buy anything more than 1k, cannot already. 3days later, it will be update to show you have 1k+/- left.
On the other hand, if you sell, say, you have 1k in your account, then you sell singtel 4k+/-, you immediately can use 5k to buy other things even though your account show 1k. likewise, it will be updated 3 days later.

Of course, if after 5 working days, and nothing in your account changes, are you sure your trade goes through already? if you are sure, then you better call scb and ask why there isn't any movement.
Thank u for ur explanation

Understand better now
Perisher likes this.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #3403
Master Member

Since you have done this using scb(I assumed) locally, so how long does it take for them to refund you the left over after XD?
I did not receive any leftover dividends from the previous sabana and MLT reinvestment exercise I took part in. that's why I asked this question.
Perisher likes this.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #3404
Great Supremacy Member

I did not receive any leftover dividends from the previous sabana and MLT reinvestment exercise I took part in. that's why I asked this question.
Next time I received a local Dividend, shall look out for the discount you described. Probably won't subscribe though because you mentioned there is no leftover dividends returns which to me sounds illogical.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #3405
Master Member

Number of units is rounded down and there are no "leftover dividends".. However because the issue price of the drp units is usually slightly discounted you're not worse off.
Perisher likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.