Old 30-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #3856
Greater Supremacy Member

What's the min age? 18 or 21?
Open joint account with your sibling or parent

Then trade from there

Used to work this way but not sure about now
Old 30-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #3857
Master Member

Hi guys, I've been looking at starting a trading account and SCB seems to be one that would suit my current need but I read about the CAR test, would forex fall under SIP or not?

Also, is it recommended to use a brokerage if i just wanna invest in etfs and bonds for the foreseeable future? When people talk about returns, that is the capital gain right? Not dividend?

Last edited by agenda; 30-05-2015 at 10:28 PM..
Old 31-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #3858
Great Supremacy Member

Hi guys, I've been looking at starting a trading account and SCB seems to be one that would suit my current need but I read about the CAR test, would forex fall under SIP or not?

Also, is it recommended to use a brokerage if i just wanna invest in etfs and bonds for the foreseeable future? When people talk about returns, that is the capital gain right? Not dividend?
You traded forex before? Not sure about this but should be valid.
From DBS, SIP products
http://www.dbsvonline.com/English/Help/FSIP.ASP#Q2

What else can you use beside brokerages to buy etf and bond cheaply?
When people talk about returns, it's usually total returns including dividends and capital gains.
Old 31-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #3859
Arch-Supremacy Member

Take your time, you are young. Don't need to rush in. The overall market is high anyway. 1 year browsing all the threads here should help you tremendously, also look at trading with rayner on the moneymind thread and look at bloggers like dividends warrior, ak's A Singaporean Stockmarket Investor (ASSI) blog, investmentmoats blog etc...

Tons to learn from them.
Since you're under 21, you can still open a POSB InvestSaver/OCBC Blue Chip/POEMS Share Builder/Maybank-KE Monthly Investment account and buy certain stocks (since they require you to be at least 18). Each one has their own pros and cons, though, so do some Google searching before deciding on one
Old 31-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #3860
Supremacy Member

If you dont use a brokerage how else do u buy these financial products? Returns can be both capital gains and dividends. Im interested to know how you started on forex before touching on these less complex products.
Old 31-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #3861
Master Member

If you dont use a brokerage how else do u buy these financial products? Returns can be both capital gains and dividends. Im interested to know how you started on forex before touching on these less complex products.
Ease of access and the get rich quick promise. I opened an Oanda fairly early before regulations were tightened and I took to demo trading which was even more readily available before going live.
Old 31-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #3862
Supremacy Member

Ease of access and the get rich quick promise. I opened an Oanda fairly early before regulations were tightened and I took to demo trading which was even more readily available before going live.
Just curious how was your forex experience like? I'm pretty new to investing, but I started from the very basics buying STI index first, then now looking at buying stocks since I just turned 21. Still waiting for SCB to open up my trading account at the moment.
Old 31-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #3863
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just curious how was your forex experience like? I'm pretty new to investing, but I started from the very basics buying STI index first, then now looking at buying stocks since I just turned 21. Still waiting for SCB to open up my trading account at the moment.
Very risky, and easy to lose money. At least with stocks it's more "stable" and not so shady (see the recent EUR/CHF saga). This is with 5 months of forex experience since start of this year and 10 years of stocks investment experience

Old 31-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #3864
Master Member

Most retailers lose money. People who say they win, most of the time they are losing. Very few are earning.

Personally, I'm in the red but thankfully I have not lost a lot of money and I'm looking to get into investing. To be honest, 4 years of on and off trading, I have no learnt enough yet but it's not of an experience. Although you do train some form of instinct in analyzing fundamentals and technicals.
Old 31-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #3865
Supremacy Member

Most retailers lose money. People who say they win, most of the time they are losing. Very few are earning.

Personally, I'm in the red but thankfully I have not lost a lot of money and I'm looking to get into investing. To be honest, 4 years of on and off trading, I have no learnt enough yet but it's not of an experience. Although you do train some form of instinct in analyzing fundamentals and technicals.
Wah so u have been trading forex exclusively for 4 years? I think should be able to meet CAR requirement cuz u done more than 6 trades

Last edited by disavowed; 31-05-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Old 31-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #3866
High Supremacy Member

can share some of the mistakes and learning points in your years experience?

for discussion so we can all improve and huat
Old 31-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #3867
Master Member

can share some of the mistakes and learning points in your years experience?

for discussion so we can all improve and huat
Sure. My mistake is basically all that has been covered online but I guess knowing a personal account is much better.

1) Leverage as a double-edged sword - After demo trading for a while, I started a $200 account with a 1:50 leverage. That means I can trade up to $200 x 50 = $10,000, I could trade micro-lots from about 0.05 to 0.08 on EUR or AUD. What I did back then was to put everything in right away because my mentality was "$200 is not a lot, plus I could easily earn $0.90 per pip movement. On a good day, I could easily flip $10 to $40 on a single trade.".

Wrong, no matter what, the pain of losing is there and you will be tempted to put in more money to save your position since your position is relatively small and no one likes losing. Which is true, I did make money for a while and I got greedy and put in more money.

2) Not understanding the market and getting married to positions - When I first started, I wanted to make a quick buck and focused on the 5min and 15min chart but those were always time wasting. I switched to looking almost exclusively to daily and 4H charts and 1H for entry. I slowly learnt to look at price action and use divergence trading as a strategy. It worked for a while, I was averaging a return of 10% weekly in a trending market. But again, refer to point 1, I got greedy and over-leverage and got married to my position and got margin-called a few times.

3) Risk management - Just from 2 points, you can tell that I'm not a very good day trader, I'm the typical wanna get rich fast person. The promise of fast cash is very tempting that anyone with principles will be very enticed to just heck his RM strategy and pump all his money in. Trust me, I have tried hard many times to maintain good money management but greed overcomes me every time. It's very tempting to hold on to positions whether its doing good or bad because you'll always thinking "What if it recovers when I close" or "What if it earns me even more money"

That's all I can think of right now, look at forexfactory for more success/failure stories to get a better cents but that basically sums up my thoughts.

I ran off with $1000 last week and quickly cashed out because I know the market will eventually take it back again, it's hard to manage your risk. It's good to have a 1:2 risk-reward methodology but the tempt to over-trade and over-leverage is always there since its so cheap to trade, each transaction only cost about 1 pip for EURUSD pair while its about 1.8 for AUDUSD. Forex is definitely a speculative market, no one invests in it anymore because interest rates are so shitty, your money will do better in long term investment products like ETFs or REITs. Plus no one really knows how to react to the market and whether its priced in although there are very seasoned traders who are always able to somehow cherrypick numbers to a 3pip +/- error which is extremely good.
wahkao3, sgbanking and Perisher like this.
Old 31-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #3868
Master Member

[QUOTE=Tornesoul;94169442]Hi does any1 know if its possible to access online trading via mobile? I login-ed via breeze and although i can see my deposits and transfer money, there is no tab that allows online trading as far as i can see. Overseas atm

Appreciate the help!

Old 31-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #3869
Great Supremacy Member

I remember someone posted a link that takes you direct to the online site. You need to dig this thread though.
Old 31-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #3870

[QUOTE=Tornesoul;94169442]Hi does any1 know if its possible to access online trading via mobile? I login-ed via breeze and although i can see my deposits and transfer money, there is no tab that allows online trading as far as i can see. Overseas atm

Appreciate the help!

If you happen to have an iPad then use chrome to access the StanChart webpage for online trading. You should get the desktop version and should be able to trade. If you are not getting the desktop version go to the last tab on the right and in the drop down box click request for desktop. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.