HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Like Tree964Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2015, 01:54 AM   #4306

Why my mcash wallet can't transfer the money to my dash account? Keep pop out saying System error. Do i need IB to do it?
Old 17-08-2015, 03:49 AM   #4307
Great Supremacy Member

Why my mcash wallet can't transfer the money to my dash account? Keep pop out saying System error. Do i need IB to do it?
Try in the morning again, if not call up SCB.
Mine has no issues.
Old 17-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #4308
Master Member

1k at 1% pa is a loss of $10 per year if you keep in esaver.

by closing the account, you miss the potential high interest rate promotion which the benefit is more than offset the loss.

assuming you have a big savings.
agree it's pointless to argue. want to keep or not should be up to the individual.

just cos someone prefers to use the dash account over esaver doesn't mean that person has less than 1k and shouldn't invest.
Asphodeli likes this.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #4309
Arch-Supremacy Member

The SMS system is lagging or it's my phone?
Old 17-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #4310
Master Member

SMS lagging
Old 17-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #4311
Supremacy Member

just got SCB online trading access.
quik qn : platform cannot buy / sell bonds on SGX is it ? like CapMall or FCL. Key in code & platform says not found.
Old 17-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #4312

just got SCB online trading access.
quik qn : platform cannot buy / sell bonds on SGX is it ? like CapMall or FCL. Key in code & platform says not found.
You can still buy. Just that SCB doesn't provide information for it.
Old 17-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #4313
Great Supremacy Member

Don't use the search, just key the code to buy. Should be able to see.
Old 17-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #4314

If the status is "filled", what does it mean? I already successfully purchased the shares? But why then my settlement account didn't got deducted?
Old 17-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #4315
Arch-Supremacy Member

If the status is "filled", what does it mean? I already successfully purchased the shares? But why then my settlement account didn't got deducted?
Yes it means your order was ful-"filled".

The money will be deducted after 3 days as per standard SGX settlement rules, but your cash balance is NOT reflected. SCB's kinda clunky that way

Last edited by Asphodeli; 17-08-2015 at 10:17 PM..
Old 17-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #4316
Great Supremacy Member

Asphodeli got it wrong this time.
SCB is a cash up front account.
Your $$ is deducted immediately, just not reflected immediately until 3 working day later.
edit:You cannot use whatever fund you see as it's deducted already.

It works both way. When you sell, although you can't see your capital increases, you can immediately use the fund to purchase stocks but...
you can't transfer $$ out to other account until it's shown/updated in your account.
Asphodeli likes this.

Last edited by Perisher; 17-08-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Old 17-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #4317

Thanks. Just asking since ETF tracks a number of top holdings (ie. DBS as one of them), then what's the difference of buying this and buying DBS shares alone? Does it mean buying ETF is like not putting all eggs in one basket? Other than this, it is the same holding DBS shares alone compared to DBS shares as one of the holdings in your ETF?
Old 17-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #4318
Great Supremacy Member

Thanks. Just asking since ETF tracks a number of top holdings (ie. DBS as one of them), then what's the difference of buying this and buying DBS shares alone? Does it mean buying ETF is like not putting all eggs in one basket? Other than this, it is the same holding DBS shares alone compared to DBS shares as one of the holdings in your ETF?
Quite a few difference actually.

When you buy etf, you diversify immediately, that is right.
You can't attend AGM of individual companies so you can't vote and you can't get any freebies(important to the uncles/aunties, =P) at AGM.
You can't get the individual companies' dividends which tends to be higher.
You can't get discounted shares.
You can't dictate what's included or excluded from that 30 companies(I wouldn't put Golden Agri, Olam or Noble in there by now)
etc...

You do get lesser risk since the odds of 30 companies folding together is almost 0 barring all out war.
You also get less complication than buying 30 companies and keeping up with their dividends/rights/AGM etc...
Not to mention less letters/reports/analysis...
You also get bigger companies without doing anything since the 30 companies are replaced upon hitting some criteria so you don't have to manually do the replacing of weak companies.
etc...
Old 17-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #4319

Quite a few difference actually.

When you buy etf, you diversify immediately, that is right.
You can't attend AGM of individual companies so you can't vote and you can't get any freebies(important to the uncles/aunties, =P) at AGM.
You can't get the individual companies' dividends which tends to be higher.
You can't get discounted shares.
You can't dictate what's included or excluded from that 30 companies(I wouldn't put Golden Agri, Olam or Noble in there by now)
etc...

You do get lesser risk since the odds of 30 companies folding together is almost 0 barring all out war.
You also get less complication than buying 30 companies and keeping up with their dividends/rights/AGM etc...
Not to mention less letters/reports/analysis...
You also get bigger companies without doing anything since the 30 companies are replaced upon hitting some criteria so you don't have to manually do the replacing of weak companies.
etc...
If etf dividends will be lower than individual company dividend, any way I can see how much dividend for each company under the etf?

And talking about letters/reports, I understand that by going through SCB, they will be the custodian of my shares. This means the company doesn't recognise me as their shareholder, but SCB which also means I won't receive the company's reports/letters right?
Old 17-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #4320

If etf dividends will be lower than individual company dividend, any way I can see how much dividend for each company under the etf?

And talking about letters/reports, I understand that by going through SCB, they will be the custodian of my shares. This means the company doesn't recognise me as their shareholder, but SCB which also means I won't receive the company's reports/letters right?
All can be found in the respective companies' websites, usually under investor relations link. Or you can go to the SGX corporate announcements page to look for the information.

You will not receive the annual reports and such, but then again you can look them up in the places in the previous paragraph above.

Last edited by Bedokian; 17-08-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.