HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

UK broker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #1

UK broker

Hi all,

May I know what brokers are good for investing on the LSE?

I wanted to sign up for Saxo Capital but just realized that they now have account inactivity fees. (link)

"From 1st March 2014, an Inactivity Fee of USD100.00 will be imposed on accounts without trading activity (in any instrument) for 180 days. The first potential charge will therefore happen on 28th August 2014."

USD 100 seems very still for inactivty fee.
kjke1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

May I know what brokers are good for investing on the LSE?
Surely you're not going to go six months between trades?

Anyway, the answers are pretty much the same as usual: IBKR if you're an advanced trader, Stanchart if you're not.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Surely you're not going to go six months between trades?

Anyway, the answers are pretty much the same as usual: IBKR if you're an advanced trader, Stanchart if you're not.
Thanks, I don't trade much. I just buy ETFs and hold.

Would check Stanchart out.

Saxo seems to have raised their fees by alot. If I recall in the past it was 0.10%, with minimum GBP 8. Now its at GBP 20...... Wonder what happened.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

I use StanChart for LSE trades.. pretty good commission rates, however the GBPSGD spread is pretty wide.

I heard somewhere that you still pay stamp duty for ETF trades using stanchart, whereas other brokers don't charge those (only for ETFs. individual stocks still have stamp duty). I never bought ETFs there so I'm unsure. Anyone here know?
QNH1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #5

I use StanChart for LSE trades.. pretty good commission rates, however the GBPSGD spread is pretty wide.

I heard somewhere that you still pay stamp duty for ETF trades using stanchart, whereas other brokers don't charge those (only for ETFs. individual stocks still have stamp duty). I never bought ETFs there so I'm unsure. Anyone here know?
Seems like the SCB platform would not have stamp duties levied.

Standard Chartered Online Trading DID Removed 0.5% UK Stamp Duty From Certain Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) | Investment Moats - Stock Market Investing
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.