USA Stocks discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Perisher, MAIN still good to enter at sub $31?

Yup, still good. But more detailed explanation, analysis etc...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/330...-the-textbook-example-for-running-a-solid-bdc
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3303415-main-street-capital-deserves-a-perpetual-premium-to-nav
http://seekingalpha.com/article/327...investment-for-all-interest-rate-environments
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3263355-main-street-capital-continues-to-outperform-all-other-bdcs

Quite hard to find any bear argument for such an excellent management.
I prefer to buy it under $30. Do note, no matter how good a company is, share price can still fall with the overall market.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Woah, wake up to see my US counters red red... The China Tsunami is causing big impact sia.

huangwn88

Reaction score
Yup, still good. But more detailed explanation, analysis etc...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/330...-the-textbook-example-for-running-a-solid-bdc
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3303415-main-street-capital-deserves-a-perpetual-premium-to-nav
http://seekingalpha.com/article/327...investment-for-all-interest-rate-environments
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3263355-main-street-capital-continues-to-outperform-all-other-bdcs

Quite hard to find any bear argument for such an excellent management.
I prefer to buy it under $30. Do note, no matter how good a company is, share price can still fall with the overall market.

Hi, I've been following your post recently. Thanks for recommending MAIN. Just have a couple of questions if you don't mind

1)Are the dividends attractive compared to SG reits' dividend since they are subjected to 30% tax?

2)How do you reinvest with the dividend as there is minimum commission other than using SCB trading platform. Or do you add in more capital for every purchase?

3)What's a good amount to start with investing in this company? I was thinking if $USD1000 is a decent amount

4)May I know what platform do you use to trade USA shares?

Once again, thank you for your time :)

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been following your post recently. Thanks for recommending MAIN. Just have a couple of questions if you don't mind

1)Are the dividends attractive compared to SG reits' dividend since they are subjected to 30% tax?

2)How do you reinvest with the dividend as there is minimum commission other than using SCB trading platform. Or do you add in more capital for every purchase?

3)What's a good amount to start with investing in this company? I was thinking if $USD1000 is a decent amount

4)May I know what platform do you use to trade USA shares?

Once again, thank you for your time :)

1. It's a monthly dividend stock and it pays about 4.65% after 30% tax. You need to ask yourself if it's attractive enough for you but to me it's very good. Take into account the half yearly bonus dividends. Also take into account that you can compound the dividends faster since it pays monthly.
Note that, the dividends is in USD which means you are earning 30% more already though not enough to cover the 30% tax since math don't work that way if you get what I mean.

2. If you buy in a large enough amount, the dividends every month can be use to purchase more shares, that has always been how reinvestment works. Or you can wait until the dividends is enough to buy more shares. Whether you wish to add in more capital to cover the shortfall is up to you.

3. An amount you are comfortable with. For me, I purchased 50-100 shares back when I started. I slowly pare down till my margin of safety reached 50% before I load it back up again.

4. I use SCB but IB would be ideal due to the exchange rate.

Happy to help. =)

huangwn88

Reaction score
1. It's a monthly dividend stock and it pays about 4.65% after 30% tax. You need to ask yourself if it's attractive enough for you but to me it's very good. Take into account the half yearly bonus dividends. Also take into account that you can compound the dividends faster since it pays monthly.
Note that, the dividends is in USD which means you are earning 30% more already though not enough to cover the 30% tax since math don't work that way if you get what I mean.

2. If you buy in a large enough amount, the dividends every month can be use to purchase more shares, that has always been how reinvestment works. Or you can wait until the dividends is enough to buy more shares. Whether you wish to add in more capital to cover the shortfall is up to you.

3. An amount you are comfortable with. For me, I purchased 50-100 shares back when I started. I slowly pare down till my margin of safety reached 50% before I load it back up again.

4. I use SCB but IB would be ideal due to the exchange rate.

Happy to help. =)

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions :)

GoldenBargain

Reaction score
I hope you are right! Most of my stocks are in red.... This sea of red is most disturbing.

I was wondering where you disappeared to...you haven't been commenting in a while! Welcome back!

p/s: btw...I did end up getting and taking that promotion. LOL :s8:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Archcherub. =)
GB, you are promoted? Grats.

mdsummer

Reaction score
Hi all, wanted to ask. I am keen on long term investment in london stock exchange. Looking at dividend stocks such as unilever and aviva. Each buy in ard 6-10k range. Intend to hold 5-10 years. In this case, is sc better than ib? Or any other platform to do purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all, wanted to ask. I am keen on long term investment in london stock exchange. Looking at dividend stocks such as unilever and aviva. Each buy in ard 6-10k range. Intend to hold 5-10 years. In this case, is sc better than ib? Or any other platform to do purchase?

Thanks in advance.

IB. Your trade amount is big... the $10 fee per month is worth it if you trade more than 10k a year if I recalled correctly.

mdsummer

Reaction score
IB. Your trade amount is big... the $10 fee per month is worth it if you trade more than 10k a year if I recalled correctly.

Hi perisher, sorry I forgot to add in one more info. If i only do one buy a year, won't the fee be higher than sc?

(I'm quite contrarian and have very rarely sold shares)

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi perisher, sorry I forgot to add in one more info. If i only do one buy a year, won't the fee be higher than sc?

(I'm quite contrarian and have very rarely sold shares)
Need to ask archercherub as he uses IB.

If my math serve me right, the exchange rate loss for SCB in and out is $1000SGD becomes $978SGD. The IB one is $10USD per month.
For IB please check.
In other words, you lose $22 each time you do the exchange.
Note however that you may keep your USD currency until a favourable exchange rate to exchange back to SGD. This works for both IB and SCB.

If you only buy once a year but more than 10k, it should still be worth it to use IB. The difference should be very small though.

martin

Reaction score
US looks to be up tonight. AAPL premarket already up to 123.91 from yesterday's close of 122.57.

archcherub

Reaction score
I was wondering where you disappeared to...you haven't been commenting in a while! Welcome back!
p/s: btw...I did end up getting and taking that promotion. LOL :s8:

Welcome back Archcherub. =)
GB, you are promoted? Grats.

Thanks to perisher and GB. btw, i was never away from this forum. haha lurking here reading up on all the useful links and info! thanks guys and all other forumers for contributing. didnt type coz was really busy with work, so sometimes use colleague PC to see, which is his own nick. i wish i can use his nick to type here, but then would expose us... LOL

only yday damn sian of the sea of red!!! then i bothered to log in using my mobile... hahhaa

GXGX to GB for your promotions!
Hope your usa stocks huat big big then can treat us dinner liao....
HAHA!!

Need to ask archercherub as he uses IB.
If my math serve me right, the exchange rate loss for SCB in and out is $1000SGD becomes $978SGD. The IB one is $10USD per month.
For IB please check.
In other words, you lose $22 each time you do the exchange.
Note however that you may keep your USD currency until a favourable exchange rate to exchange back to SGD. This works for both IB and SCB.
If you only buy once a year but more than 10k, it should still be worth it to use IB. The difference should be very small though.

Im using IB but i sell options on stocks that i am holding. and i generate abt $10 - $30 usd of commission per month, so i got a lot of waiver on the USA package data. so IB is definitely worth it, coz cheaper commission, and better FX.
but if u only trade once a month, maybe SCB is better, as u dont get charged any fee when u dont trade.
i think u can refer to this thread
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/m...rokers-sgd-now-available-funding-4053471.html

lots of great seniors here!

goldsilvercity

Reaction score
US looks to be up tonight. AAPL premarket already up to 123.91 from yesterday's close of 122.57.

nice. funny that with Apple Music, it seems Apple is more and more undervalued...
but yet the stock prices dips even more.

I must be totally wrong in my thinking :o
what a pity im out of cash, if not i would buy more AAPL at this price. =:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.