HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

USA Stocks discussion - Part 2

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2018, 01:17 AM   #571
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for your sharing!
Based on what you say, companies like TD Ameritrades is technically considered overseas due to the stocks being held under their main office in US under our names. SCB are local because they hold our stocks in their nominee company, thus more safe?
Nope.
UBS and Credit suisse aand most pte banks will hold ur shares in nominees account with custodian who are third party.

but during the GFC, you are not only scared of the banks going belly up, you are also scared the custodians did something to belly up..

They can say it's all safe...blah blah blah.. but the fear inside create doubts..

I think it's like a home bias for investors. What crisis comes, then u will find comfort in a local bank which is deemed to be "owned" by the government and too big to fail for Singapore. So putting money in the DBS is safer than putting in the SCB.

The fear might be unfounded... but you have to experience to believe it.. That time so many banks and FI go belly up.. even got bank run in some european countries.
focus1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 AM   #572
Arch-Supremacy Member

Don't looked at the Indices percentage only..
Look at the charts and you can see the S&P and Nasdaq Gap down... and in negative territory and still recovering..

but u see some of the names.. they did not gap down and instead started from where they left off yesterday and is now up 1 to 2% .. there's a lot of 3-4-5-6-7-8% type also..
but very common for 3-5% gap up type.

With IB, it's very easy to keep the watchlist very graphical (ie in charts).

those are in my watchlist. ..and didn't pull trigger coz who the hell know what is HMSY or ULTA? lol..

INTC and PYPL and V can buy .. but maybe the market cap of it might limit it to be only a 1 bagger?

Ulta just did a 10+% from start of trading session till now...
started at $280 ... down to 274 before rebounding and ralyling up to 308 highest point as of now.

FML...
Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #573

Nope.
UBS and Credit suisse aand most pte banks will hold ur shares in nominees account with custodian who are third party.

but during the GFC, you are not only scared of the banks going belly up, you are also scared the custodians did something to belly up..

They can say it's all safe...blah blah blah.. but the fear inside create doubts..

I think it's like a home bias for investors. What crisis comes, then u will find comfort in a local bank which is deemed to be "owned" by the government and too big to fail for Singapore. So putting money in the DBS is safer than putting in the SCB.

The fear might be unfounded... but you have to experience to believe it.. That time so many banks and FI go belly up.. even got bank run in some european countries.
I see... thanks for the lesson!

ATVI -10% AH... Iím starting to think my heart not strong enough for US market 😂
focus1974 likes this.
EternalWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #574

Is it safe to hold nvda at above 200?
I thought intc will drop to low 40, it did not, never expected amd to rise to 20. It is so unpredictable?
peipei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #575
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nope.

Vickers can buy us stocks?

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

Last edited by Layers; 09-11-2018 at 03:05 PM..
Layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #576

Is it safe to hold nvda at above 200?
I thought intc will drop to low 40, it did not, never expected amd to rise to 20. It is so unpredictable?
Who can know with certainty?

The character of the US stock market has changed and is no longer a case of close eye, buy and hold from here. In Jan/Feb/Mar when we had a sell off, the 200 day moving average was still sloping upwards and most stocks were above the 200 day MA... now, the 200 d MA has started to slope downwards and only 49.9% of SP500 stocks are holding above the 200 day MA. So while we had some nasty sell offs in Oct, and a rally now, I am still not inclined to say that the worse is over... This recent bounce has been as fierce as the sell off in Oct however, when I screen for stocks that are on up trend vs downtrend, I see more shortlisted for downtrend vs uptrend. Take NVDA for example... the 200 day MA is starting to slope down, the rallies have been resisted at the 20 day EMA, it has been making lower highs and lower lows.... most stocks are now exhibiting the same so, I am no longer as bullish as in Jan about the stock market. We may not have an immediate sell off, but maybe more sideways movements and with volatility coming back into the markets, there can be a big sideway range.

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/market-performance

Link shows that only 49.9% of S&P 500 stocks are above the 200day MA and while the recent rally saw some 80% moving above the 20d MA, we still have slightly more than 50% under the 50d MA.
DukeCS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #577
Arch-Supremacy Member

GE is making lower and lower lows.

Must have some balls of steel to pick up the falling knife.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #578
Arch-Supremacy Member

Vickers can buy us stocks?

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT
can but need to pay custodian fees
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #579

The trend is your friend so why catch the falling knife? Just follow the knife.

But I have some doubts on this rally that we have seen in the SP500 - the volume is not large relative to the volume when the sell off started. While I understand that then, many reacted out of fear and went on to dump their holdings, this low volume rally may mean that there is not a lot of participation by the smart money names. I think I shall just hold on to my shorts - probably going to add on another short tonight.... maybe GE since that you have alerted me
Old 09-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #580
Arch-Supremacy Member

The trend is your friend so why catch the falling knife? Just follow the knife.

But I have some doubts on this rally that we have seen in the SP500 - the volume is not large relative to the volume when the sell off started. While I understand that then, many reacted out of fear and went on to dump their holdings, this low volume rally may mean that there is not a lot of participation by the smart money names. I think I shall just hold on to my shorts - probably going to add on another short tonight.... maybe GE since that you have alerted me
Didn’t open well tonight. As expected from the red futures heh.
netzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #581
Arch-Supremacy Member

ATVI -10% AH... Iím starting to think my heart not strong enough for US market 😂
If you are young, you need to set aside a little bit of your investing capital for trading US market.

The US market is where you will learn the most out of trading, investing and emotional pyschology.

You play basketball, you play with the lousy players you will become lousier.
You play with better players, you will become better.

But of course, need to pay school fees...
Old 09-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #582

Didnít open well tonight. As expected from the red futures heh.
Guess the PPI release did not help...
Fingers crossed for my shorts.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #583
Master Member

ATVI -10% AH... I’m starting to think my heart not strong enough for US market ��
Not that stock chart is perfect tool but at times it does give some early warning.

https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=ATVI
peterchan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #584
Arch-Supremacy Member

I shorted GE couple of times; in fact the last time I covered at 11.50.

In short, long the strongest and short the weakest.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #585

If you are young, you need to set aside a little bit of your investing capital for trading US market.

The US market is where you will learn the most out of trading, investing and emotional pyschology.

You play basketball, you play with the lousy players you will become lousier.
You play with better players, you will become better.

But of course, need to pay school fees...
My school fees shall be determined next year when i decide to stop holding and cash out or not lol. And yes i definitely am feeling the emotions, which is compelling me to do tons of research and learning. I guess itís not totally money wasted for me, but feels like it could have been cheaper if i came a little more prepared (like learning to not buy before earnings).

Not that stock chart is perfect tool but at times it does give some early warning.

*chart*
Iím... not well pepared yet
EternalWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.