HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

When will it be time to buy REITs again?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
Master Member

When will it be time to buy REITs again?

REIT prices have tumbled, interest rate is at/near all time low. Do you think it is an appropriate time to enter the REIT market again or there are more downsides to come?

Do you think things have changed structurally because of the Wuhan virus? For instance, more ppl are exposed to e-commerce now, would it affect the way ppl spend in physical store thereby affecting retail mall REITs? Likewise, the work-from-home requirements probably made some employers realise there's no need for everyone to be at office, would it affect demand for office space?
Old 17-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #2

From your questions, u may already have your answer and if u need confirmation from the herd, then you are better off not trading nor investing. I meant no malice nor sacarsm but little money is made following the herd... Not unless your strategy is to scalp and get out before the herd tramples on itself.
simon_84 likes this.
DukeCS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Master Member

its meant to be a discussion for ppl to share different point of views.

if u think hearing others' views is herd mentality, then you shouldnt be in a forum since u dont care about what other ppl say and according to ur logic, ppl sldnt care about what u say either.
Old 17-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #4

If u care abt what i say, i tink the name of the virus is wrong.
wutawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #5

REIT prices have tumbled, interest rate is at/near all time low. Do you think it is an appropriate time to enter the REIT market again or there are more downsides to come?

Do you think things have changed structurally because of the Wuhan virus? For instance, more ppl are exposed to e-commerce now, would it affect the way ppl spend in physical store thereby affecting retail mall REITs? Likewise, the work-from-home requirements probably made some employers realise there's no need for everyone to be at office, would it affect demand for office space?
https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/di...233032496.html

Not sure if this article helps
peppermint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

by using the term "wuhan virus" rather than the more commonly used term "COVID-19" already can tell that you are trying to be discriminatory.

anyway, that aside. my pov is, if people here know whether there are more downside to come, they wouldn't be here wasting time replying to you, because they will be earning loads
simon_84 and thespell like this.
Old 17-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

boat has left unless you are trying to pick up the scraps like retail reits and they won't return to normal prices or have dpu increase at least for the next 1 year.

your understanding of retail and commercial reits are just superficial, suggest you read up first on the their operating nature before you come to a buying decision.
Old 17-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
Master Member

the qs about reit seem so wrong lol.

reit many type depend. like keppel dc, first reit or captial trust.

i think u should ask urself if the current price reflect the value of the reit.

if there is any growth rate in reit.

example for sph reit cut 80% dividend. will it go back to previous covid?

how long it take to go back?

mall without tourist its hardly profitable without retailer earn money?
if cannot earn money y pay high rent?

if cannot pay high rent will mall cut price?

example in orchard if more malls have empty store will there be a property price drop in the area?

base on all these variable you can calculate the current price and expected growth rate.

if it overprice then u dont buy if it undervalue u can buy.

if in summary.

u think if it will go back to before covid then the reit price is rather cheap otherwise its subject to change either way.
chaoprokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #9

its meant to be a discussion for ppl to share different point of views.

if u think hearing others' views is herd mentality, then you shouldnt be in a forum since u dont care about what other ppl say and according to ur logic, ppl sldnt care about what u say either.
Suit yourself and in whatever way you choose to interpret my reply.
DukeCS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

It is impossible to tell what short term movements will be. Although there are people who claim that they can predict short term movements lol.

My view is that REITs are an essential part of a person's portfolio. The price of some REITs these days are reasonable, although that does not mean that prices will not take another dump in the short term.

I heard a Gabriel Yap broadcast recently which I thought was a useful guide to SG REITs.

Last edited by NewInvestor; 17-05-2020 at 02:59 PM..
NewInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
Master Member

by using the term "wuhan virus" rather than the more commonly used term "COVID-19" already can tell that you are trying to be discriminatory.

anyway, that aside. my pov is, if people here know whether there are more downside to come, they wouldn't be here wasting time replying to you, because they will be earning loads
what about spanish flu? hong kong leg? ebola? nipah virus? marburg virus? Japanese encephalitis? german measles? West Nile Virus? Mexican flu? Hendra virus? Zika? are they discriminatory too? naming a virus after the place where the outbreak started is very common. even the chinese state media used the term wuhan virus at the beginning. its only when China start playing their political cards that they drop the name.

anyway, looks like this sub forum has turned more into edmw. it used to be a place where ppl share their views without being condescending.
MichealScott likes this.
Old 17-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

what about spanish flu? hong kong leg? ebola? nipah virus? marburg virus? Japanese encephalitis? german measles? West Nile Virus? Mexican flu? Hendra virus? Zika? are they discriminatory too? naming a virus after the place where the outbreak started is very common. even the chinese state media used the term wuhan virus at the beginning. its only when China start playing their political cards that they drop the name.

anyway, looks like this sub forum has turned more into edmw. it used to be a place where ppl share their views without being condescending.
sure if you want to remain discriminatory and have frank the Kool-aid of trump. Your choice to say it, and peopleís choice to perceive it. Donít have to defend yourself if you think what you did is correct.

Then you can remain in EDMW lor.
thespell likes this.
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
Master Member

sure if you want to remain discriminatory and have frank the Kool-aid of trump. Your choice to say it, and peopleís choice to perceive it. Donít have to defend yourself if you think what you did is correct.

Then you can remain in EDMW lor.
and u can continue to be China's lapdog to push the view that naming wuhan virus is not okay while continue calling other virus/illness based on place of outbreak.
Old 17-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #14
High Supremacy Member

and u can continue to be China's lapdog to push the view that naming wuhan virus is not okay while continue calling other virus/illness based on place of outbreak.
Erm, did I say Iím ok to call other virus/illness based on place of outbreak? Your imagination getting too creative.
thespell likes this.
reddevil0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #15

It is impossible to tell what short term movements will be. Although there are people who claim that they can predict short term movements lol.

My view is that REITs are an essential part of a person's portfolio. The price of some REITs these days are reasonable, although that does not mean that prices will not take another dump in the short term.

I heard a Gabriel Yap broadcast recently which I thought was a useful guide to SG REITs.
Short term movements are difficult to predict, but long term is even tougher, if not near impossible to predict. Companies and whole sectors can do very well for years but many things can change as the economy, demographics, technology, change in consumer preferences and whatnot tend to shape the futrure. Just look at the Dow for example, none of the companies that are on the DJIA now were on it in 1920, I bet it will once again look very different 100 years from now.

This is what makes index tracker funds attractive for long term investing, its not as passive as people think it is, due to the way its structured, the weak is periodically removed leaving only the strong, this is why fund managers tend to struggle to beat the S&P500 over the long run.

Nobody really knows what is going to happen over the long run, this is why diversification is key to long term success. I hope this has also indirectly answered TS's question on reits, you can have a little bit of exposure to reits but never put all your eggs in one basket.
3dfxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.