HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Acer Iconia w700 Official Thread (Folio & Dock Version)

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #46

Wacom Bamboo Stylus FEEL - for ACER ICONIA W700 FOLIO

can Wacom Bamboo Stylus FEEL be used on ACER ICONIA W700 FOLIO?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #47

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to lock and power off the w700 screen while still being able to play music?

i.e. equivalent to turning off and locking the screen on the iPhone with the top-right hardware button; only the screen is off and locked but your music/browser still active.

Thanks.
Hey, if I'm correct it's not possible now as windows 8 still not optimize to use it on standby? As there is no option to change the power button to turn off screen instead of sleep, shutdown & etc. So it's the windows 8 problem i guess? Anyone do correct me if i'm wrong.
Benks1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #48

can Wacom Bamboo Stylus FEEL be used on ACER ICONIA W700 FOLIO?
I think cannot according to here Global Sites

Will the Bamboo Stylus feel work on all capacitive touchscreens? No, our Bamboo Stylus feel range will only work with feel-enabled devices. For other (capacitive) touchscreens, please use one of several Bamboo Styli from Wacom with a rubber tip.
I don't think the w700 is feel-enabled device? So I don't think it will work. Anyone out there correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #49

Hey, if I'm correct it's not possible now as windows 8 still not optimize to use it on standby? As there is no option to change the power button to turn off screen instead of sleep, shutdown & etc. So it's the windows 8 problem i guess? Anyone do correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks for the reply.

I see. That sucks. Hopefully someone will make an app for it.
murtabakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #50

Thanks for the reply.

I see. That sucks. Hopefully someone will make an app for it.
But apparently you can set to dim the display after a few minutes or seconds? That would actually let the music run in background.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #51
Master Member

But apparently you can set to dim the display after a few minutes or seconds? That would actually let the music run in background.
You can set the screen saver to display a blank screen after a certain time, or you can set the power saving timing to turn off the screen after certain timing... Please remember you are still dealing with a computer rather than a mobile phone, even though the interface seems to be the same...
Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #52

Yes that is what I have to do.

Please remember you are still dealing with a computer rather than a mobile phone, even though the interface seems to be the same...
Yeah but hey, I'm not a computer designer so as far as I'm concerned (i.e. a consumer) the designers should have thought of this and figured out how to execute it.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #53

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share my thoughts about the folio's typing effectiveness after I've had my first typing session (2.5hours).

The folio's keyboard is a lot less sensitive than an ordinary laptop keyboard. It misses a lot of keys, and often you have to slow down your speed and increase your pressure on strokes to ensure words come out as you intended. This is the number 1 frustration.

The small caps lock is poorly designed: too small for quick and frequent usage; and sited next to the '`~' key, which means you invariably hit it.

It's also a tiny keyboard so extended periods of typing can lead to discomfort, especially around the arms, wrists, hands (for me at least).

Lastly, due to this being a tablet that has to rest on the folio's cover, the screen is really close to the keyboard's first row of keys from the top (i.e. the numeric row).

In a nutshell, I don't think the folio keyboard is a substitute for a traditional keyboard (especially how normal keyboards have deeper, and more responsive and sensitive keys) if you are planning write essays or transcribe speeches.

Last edited by murtabakx; 09-04-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #54
Supremacy Member

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share my thoughts about the folio's typing effectiveness after I've had my first typing session (2.5hours).

The folio's keyboard is a lot less sensitive than an ordinary laptop keyboard. It misses a lot of keys, and often you have to slow down your speed and increase your pressure on strokes to ensure words come out as you intended. This is the number 1 frustration.

The small caps lock is poorly designed: too small for quick and frequent usage; and sited next to to '`~' key, which means you invariably hit it.

It's also a tiny keyboard so extended periods of typing can lead to discomfort, especially around the arms, wrists, hands (for me at least).

Lastly, due to this being a tablet that has to rest on the folio's cover, the screen is really close to the keyboard's first row of keys from the top (i.e. the numeric row).

In a nutshell, I don't think the folio keyboard is a substitute to a traditional keyboard (especially how normal keyboards have deeper, and more responsive and sensitive keys) if you are planning write essays or transcribe speeches.
wow okay, thanks for the valuable feedback, am planning to ditch my notebook for the w700 or similar full windows 8 tablet device with a decent keyboard folio or dock with good battery life and the W700 seems to be best offering out there right now?
balzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #55

ACER 11.6IN INTEL CORE I5-3337U 4GB WIN 8 ICONIA W700 WITH KEYBOARD Tablets - Courts Online Shopping

seems like a version with a better keyboard is coming soon. i think this is the best version since you get the trackpad and a better keyboard dock. with this version, you really get the best of both world at a very cheap price. a very capable laptop and a very capable tablet. hoping for a haswell refresh in 2 months time before i get it. only thing im worried about is acer's qc. my 6 years old fujitsu laptop still alive and kicking while some of my friends 2-3 years old laptop already died.
Donten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #56
Supremacy Member

ACER 11.6IN INTEL CORE I5-3337U 4GB WIN 8 ICONIA W700 WITH KEYBOARD Tablets - Courts Online Shopping

seems like a version with a better keyboard is coming soon. i think this is the best version since you get the trackpad and a better keyboard dock. with this version, you really get the best of both world at a very cheap price. a very capable laptop and a very capable tablet. hoping for a haswell refresh in 2 months time before i get it. only thing im worried about is acer's qc. my 6 years old fujitsu laptop still alive and kicking while some of my friends 2-3 years old laptop already died.
I've used acer in the past, 3 laptops, and they have lasted 2 to 3 years without any issues. So for me Acer is a "okay" brand, value for money In fact Samsung, which i am using now has proven to be a disappointment, or maybe i got a lemon.
fffrozzz likes this.
balzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #57

I believe that's the w510 model. official acer sg doesn't show this model. courts must have made a mistake. if this is the next reincarnation of the w700, would be a no-brainer to buy.
xelawtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #58

I've used acer in the past, 3 laptops, and they have lasted 2 to 3 years without any issues. So for me Acer is a "okay" brand, value for money In fact Samsung, which i am using now has proven to be a disappointment, or maybe i got a lemon.
samsung has been a disappointment for me too. my launch day samsung galaxy note has already spoilt twice after warrranty. ****ty customer service too.

1 question for w700 users. any shortcut to middle mouse button or right mouse button quickly? i tried it and only know how to hold for right click options to be available.

Last edited by Donten; 09-04-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Donten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #59

samsung has been a disappointment for me too. my launch day samsung galaxy note has already spoilt twice after warrranty. ****ty customer service too.

1 question for w700 users. any shortcut to middle mouse button or right mouse button quickly? i tried it and only know how to hold for right click options to be available.

I not sure whether there is other options for right-click but all u can do is follow this link then when u click the settings for the right click u make it short so that u don't have to hold too long. How to do a right click on Windows 8 tablets

Hope this helps!
Old 23-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #60

anyone know where can i buy the screen protector for it?
iconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.