HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Apple on iPad competition: Windows is 'big and heavy,' next-gen Android tablets are still vapor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Apple on iPad competition: Windows is 'big and heavy,' next-gen Android tablets are still vapor

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/a...avy-android-i/

Apple's COO (and current Steve Jobs stand-in) Tim Cook thinks "there's not much" competition to the company's iPad tablet. When queried about Apple's view on what the rest of the market offers, Cook was brutally candid in describing Windows-driven machines as generally being big, heavy and expensive, while current generations of Android-based slates are in his opinion merely "scaled-up smartphones." While we agree that Windows 7 isn't a terribly touch-friendly affair, we don't know that Cook's comments on Android are quite so pertinent now that Google's tablet-savvy Honeycomb iteration has been unveiled. Then again, he has something to say about the next generation of Android tablets as well, noting that the ones announced at CES lack pricing and release schedules, leading him to conclude that "today they're vapor." Ouch. As a parting shot, Tim took a moment to reaffirm Apple's belief that its integrated approach will always trump the fragmented nature of Android and its plurality of app stores. Hear his comments in full after the break.

5:32PM Q: How do you view the iPad's competitors?

5:34PM A: Tim -- if you look at what's out there today, there's not much. There's the ones that use Windows, they're generally big and heavy and expensive. They have weak battery life, they require a keyboard or a stylus as an input device, customers are frankly just not interested in them. Then you have Android tablets, and the varieties that are out shipping today, their operating system wasn't designed for tablets. Google has said this, this isn't just Apple saying this. That means you have the size of a tablet that just isn't reasonable for what we call a 'real tablet experience.' That's just a scaled-up smartphone, which is a bizarre product category. If you do a side-by-side with an iPad, you'll pick an iPad.

5:53PM Q: Last call, Steve had a lot of comments around Android, some of its disadvantages. Any other comments you'd like to make?

5:56PM A: Tim -- [...] We firmly believe that our integrated approach is better than the fragmented approach. You can see this in a number of ways -- from the number of fragmented app stores with a variety of ways to pay, people will pull their hair out. Who's on the latest OS -- Android always lags ... In net we think our integrated approach is better, rather than making the end user a systems integrator. I don't know a lot of people who want to be systems integrators. And I think the same thing about iPad. It's the same set of issues, at the end of the day.
Hold your horses........." Honeycomb " is coming

FYI Mr Cook, iPad is ALSO a scaled up smartphone ( which incidentally can't make calls over telco networks )
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #2

"New Official Assuming Duty, Three stacks of fire"

Not surprising, he has to show that he has a fiercer blood than Steve Jobs, in order to retain shareholder's confidence of his leadership in lieu of Job's leave of absence.

Relax, his words are just all bark and no substance. Though I agree with the Windows 7 tablets viewpoint, and for Galaxy Tab.. yes, it's a supersize phone, sadly
Nintendo Switch
HWZ Android subforum
siandiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

I don't disagree, his points are not incorrect and justified based on the current product and os range.

But they seems to have selective vision when it comes to their own products.

In the case of Google, they readily stated that Froyo was not optimized for tablets when vendors started to launch Android 2.2 tablets.

And here they are ignoring the fact that iPad is more or less an upsized iPod Touch...
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

We need more apps designed for the resolution of tablets though
kmkimlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

We're waiting for honeycomb...
It'll bring the much needed tablet experience. I believe phone apps can be upscaled, and like the ipad, more developers will create tablet version of their apps.
lolnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Great Supremacy Member

while current generations of Android-based slates are in his opinion merely "scaled-up smartphones."
I LOL @ this statement..
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Master Member

it's ok to hide the facts although it's known throughout the IT world..
It will fool the non-techy ppl though... with the oohs and aahhs..
faruk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
High Supremacy Member

fiaking hellz!!!! the Ipad can't do full computing experience, who's he kidding? can't login to singpass nor see flash. basket.

ipad is just an interim solution while waiting for good ol windows.
tekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Master Member

Although I hate Apple and its stuff, never to buy it, I have to say that the user experience from Apple stuff is top notch. Hardware wise is not top notch. End of the day is, am I happy using the product.
LonelyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

It is a big ipod touch with dev building apps for a bigger resolution
kmkimlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
High Supremacy Member

Put it another way, it's actually the fault of the manufacturers to push to market "tablets" when Android itself isn't optimized for tablet usage in the first place. I'm sure Google thought about this, but open source being what it is, they can't stop the companies from jumping the gun.

Say what you can about Apple, they thought things through the proper way by making sure the Ipad was announced, had a reasonable period of time for specifically coded apps to be done before launching, and also making sure that while iphone apps would run as well, Ipad specific apps are segmented properly instead of lumping every single iOS app into a single marketplace, which is what is happening with Android "tablets" now.

Honeycomb might change things around, but it could also just be a glorified launcher interface, with mostly only official Google apps running properly in tablet mode. We'll have to see more info about HC.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

everytime like that. Like to say bad things about Android. They are treating android seriously.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.