HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

End of Times for PC DIY shops? with the emergence of Tablets & Androids

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

End of Times for PC DIY shops? with the emergence of Tablets & Androids

The times of PC DIY shops selling pc components are nearing to an end as people are switching to Tablets PC and the alternatives without the need to get their hands dirty. with Android OS, Chrome OS, WebOS, tablets PC and smartphones are replacing the functionalities of traditional computers.

This is evident in the scene at Sim Lim Square: more and more PC DIY shops are disappearing and replaced by shops selling netbooks, notebooks and tablets PC and smartphones. more shop spaces are now available for shops selling network devices, cables, servers. it seemed that Sim Lim Sq are becoming like a back lane factory selling odd metal / plastic parts for IT.

DIY / self-assembled pcs will become an old art or retrostyle soon.

the real charm for IT geeks is the ability to program android applications / games. The software side of IT has emerged. IT geeks will now concentrate on software part by DIYing their own android applications.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

there are less and less interests in the latest graphics cards and processors or RAM memory speed. who cares about these nowadays.

the interests in now in what new android devices are available in the market now.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #3

show me a tablet PC which i can game on for at least 10 hours straight ... playing something like BFBC2 , Crysis Warhead. Not some 2D crap like Flight Control or the BLAMSHEMY maplecrapstory.

As long as High end games exist ( *cough* portal 2 , Brink , Diablo 3 *cough* ) , PC gaming will never die. You can never get better price/perf ratio than a DIY PC gaming machine , compared to gaming laptops or other forms of "playing games"

currently , a 1K DIY PC can perform relatively well , playing high end games reasonably well ( 35~40fps on BFBC2 1920x1080 ). Name me one other tech that is 1K or below that can beat this.

Last edited by lxsnipexl; 09-01-2011 at 02:46 AM..
Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
cnt
Greater Supremacy Member

its the same when pple buying branded pc or nb. all the while is like tht. nothing has chg
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #5

The times of PC DIY shops selling pc components are nearing to an end as people are switching to Tablets PC and the alternatives without the need to get their hands dirty. with Android OS, Chrome OS, WebOS, tablets PC and smartphones are replacing the functionalities of traditional computers.

This is evident in the scene at Sim Lim Square: more and more PC DIY shops are disappearing and replaced by shops selling netbooks, notebooks and tablets PC and smartphones. more shop spaces are now available for shops selling network devices, cables, servers. it seemed that Sim Lim Sq are becoming like a back lane factory selling odd metal / plastic parts for IT.

the real charm for IT geeks is the ability to program android applications / games. The software side of IT has emerged. IT geeks will now concentrate on software part by DIYing their own android applications.
I'd disagree.

Gaming consoles like Xbox and PS will more responsible in killing PC gaming then anything else.

To be a PC gamer, hardware is expensive.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #6

SLS used to sell mostly assembled computers. There were many local brands.

The DIY fad only took off in the last 15 years or so when it became easy for the common folk without an EE dip/degree to assemble a computer. Even then, options were rather limited when it came to casings, cooling and the like.

What's changing today is the cost of entry for basic computing today. Assembled computers from SLS are no longer the price champs of yesteryears. Basement shoppers are increasingly hunting netbooks, tablets and laptops. Cost matters foremost, but a convenient all-in-one form factor is equally attractive.

DIY won't die, but in space and cost conscious Singapore, the next 15 years doesn't look rosy.

Last edited by Piezoq; 09-01-2011 at 11:26 AM..
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #7

there are less and less interests in the latest graphics cards and processors or RAM memory speed. who cares about these nowadays.

the interests in now in what new android devices are available in the market now.
Andriod alone can pushes DIY hardware devices to oblivion?

Far from being the truth and you probably dream to much about Android, time to wake up.......

Please help me backup my machining database and tools, material library, not forgetting material library for rendering for CAD/CAM application with Andriod.

And please guide me how to perform rendering, connect/command (DNC) to CNC machines and various computer measuring machines with your godly Andriod.

Experience is the teacher of all things.
Julius Caesar
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

If that's true, why do people still modify their cars? I guess it's more applicable to normal computer users who don't use the hardware as intensively as the users who demand more then what off-the-shelves p.c can provide.

The attraction of building a p.c is because of the customisation options available as opposed to buying a mac. As long as manufacturers sell individual components and as long as people bother to really do their homework at finding the best cost-to-performance ratio for their rig, the DiY industry will still be alive.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #9

You work for android that's why you are carrying their balls???

Hello Captain Obvious, when is your movie coming out???
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

DIY will not die so long there are pple like us in the Hardware Clinic
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

there are just so many things a desktop pc can perform that an android can't.. think about it..
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Any real world stats to back up? I have not heard or seen tablets or andriods being benchmarked against desktop PCs leh. Goggle liao also cannot find leh...

Tablet VS Sandy Bridge?

Last edited by yewtee7; 09-01-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
High Supremacy Member

where is there u never take medicine picture from edmw sia...

lol explain to me how a tablet is gonna run all my games and post process my photos?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #14

Any real world stats to back up? I have not heard or seen tablets or andriods being benchmarked against desktop PCs leh. Goggle liao also cannot find leh...

Tablet VS Sandy Bridge?
Thread starter an Angrybird Fanboy???

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #15

Google's OS was lambasted by RS (if u know who is RS). Real geeks and hackers abhor it. The so called "IT Geeks" u r refering to r script kiddies. Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers.

Cheers.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.