www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   The Tablet Den (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tablet-den-328/)
-   -   Huawei M5 (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tablet-den-328/huawei-m5-5782181.html)

ZrE0_Cha0s 26-02-2018 07:35 AM

Huawei M5
 
Here is the short into of m5:

Huawei's new MediaPad 5 devices look to be a new range of premium Android tablets that offer top-end specs, but whether they will be worth picking up depends on pricing.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/hu...gn=buffer-trfb

https://www.techradar.com/news/new-h...gn=buffer-trfb

ZrE0_Cha0s 26-02-2018 07:36 AM

More info :

The new MediaPad M5 tablets will come in two sizes: 8.4 and 10.8 inches, starting at 349 and 399 Euro respectively. For the most part, the smaller and larger tablets have exactly the same specs, with 25601600 displays (for a 359 and 280 PPI rating, respectively), Kirin 960 quad-core processors, 4GB of RAM and either 32, 64 or 128 GB of storage space. They also come with pretty standard 8MP front cameras and 13MP rear cameras, all the usual sensors (including a fingerprint sensor) and Android 8.0. All of the SKUs also offer an SD card expansion slot that can bring the total on-board storage up to 256 GB.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/25/hu...share=facebook

MoneyFace =p 26-02-2018 10:08 AM

My Huawei Honor 8 Pro comes with same chipset, 50% more RAM, double storage capacity, headphone jack, similar pixel count but costs less than Mediapad M5 8.4 LTE 32GB (even at usual market price SGD599) lol.

Obviously Huawei is after the monopoly of mid size tablets since Samsung stopped producing 8.4 inch premium tabs... :(

hotpick 26-02-2018 05:08 PM

Kirin 960, a bit dissappointed..its tablet is always a version slower than its phone (honor and P series)..they shd make it up with Kirin 970, even Honor V10 is with 970 just ard SGD 500+ at china ...more keen to see the pricing for its version in China and wonder any price adjustment for the M3.

caterham7 28-02-2018 12:16 PM

No 3.5mm headphone jack

Crazy to do that

Audiology93 02-03-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caterham7 (Post 113045088)
No 3.5mm headphone jack

Crazy to do that

Yeah no 3.5mm jack on a tablet is a bit too much...

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 5 PLUS using GAGT

watzup_ken 04-03-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyFace =p (Post 113009324)
My Huawei Honor 8 Pro comes with same chipset, 50% more RAM, double storage capacity, headphone jack, similar pixel count but costs less than Mediapad M5 8.4 LTE 32GB (even at usual market price SGD599) lol.

Obviously Huawei is after the monopoly of mid size tablets since Samsung stopped producing 8.4 inch premium tabs... :(

High end Android tablets are never cheap over the past few years. The best one with great value in recent times is the Nvidia Shield Tablet. There is a very small market for high end Android tablets as most people buy it as a cheap media player.

In the example you provided, it is the same reason why I would recommend people who can put up with a smaller screen size to go for a phablet such as Xiaomi Mi Max. It is smaller, but much more capable with better specs and LTE connection, than any tablet selling at its price.

watzup_ken 04-03-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotpick (Post 113016039)
Kirin 960, a bit dissappointed..its tablet is always a version slower than its phone (honor and P series)..they shd make it up with Kirin 970, even Honor V10 is with 970 just ard SGD 500+ at china ...more keen to see the pricing for its version in China and wonder any price adjustment for the M3.

Unfortunately, flagship Android tablets don't get the love as their smaller counterparts, mobile phones. Even the Samsung Tab S3 uses an older Snapdragon 820 if I am not mistaken. To be fair as well, Apple also uses their older SOCs for their tablets, but because they are fully in control of developing their own SOCs, they have the ability to give their tablets a significantly better SOC than their mobile counterparts.

The good thing is despite using an older SOC, because of the bigger space and better cooling on tablets, they tend to do much better under sustained load. So at the end of the day, these older SOCs still do relatively well in tablets.

hotpick 05-03-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzup_ken (Post 113112241)
Unfortunately, flagship Android tablets don't get the love as their smaller counterparts, mobile phones. Even the Samsung Tab S3 uses an older Snapdragon 820 if I am not mistaken. To be fair as well, Apple also uses their older SOCs for their tablets, but because they are fully in control of developing their own SOCs, they have the ability to give their tablets a significantly better SOC than their mobile counterparts.

The good thing is despite using an older SOC, because of the bigger space and better cooling on tablets, they tend to do much better under sustained load. So at the end of the day, these older SOCs still do relatively well in tablets.

Ya, tablet market is smaller and more sluggish than smart phone market but it doesn't mean a new tablet model should comes with older SOC while at a much higher price that close match to the latest SOC model ... put in other way, if M5 is priced as M3, definately will have the surprice element to capture a much better market share ...

In fact, Huawei is pushing hard to clear most its 960 powered phones stock since last Nov in China market..

MoneyFace =p 05-03-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzup_ken (Post 113112241)
Unfortunately, flagship Android tablets don't get the love as their smaller counterparts, mobile phones. Even the Samsung Tab S3 uses an older Snapdragon 820 if I am not mistaken. To be fair as well, Apple also uses their older SOCs for their tablets, but because they are fully in control of developing their own SOCs, they have the ability to give their tablets a significantly better SOC than their mobile counterparts.

The good thing is despite using an older SOC, because of the bigger space and better cooling on tablets, they tend to do much better under sustained load. So at the end of the day, these older SOCs still do relatively well in tablets.

Problem is they are ironically more expensive than the loved mobile phones counterpart.

It is hard for me who owns a true premium specced (at its point of release) Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 to swallow such spec at such prices. With all the scarification for media consumption like lack of headphone jack to expect as well.

watzup_ken 06-03-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotpick (Post 113116479)
Ya, tablet market is smaller and more sluggish than smart phone market but it doesn't mean a new tablet model should comes with older SOC while at a much higher price that close match to the latest SOC model ... put in other way, if M5 is priced as M3, definately will have the surprice element to capture a much better market share ...

In fact, Huawei is pushing hard to clear most its 960 powered phones stock since last Nov in China market..

I agree that pricing is poor. To be fair, I never considered getting an Android tablet considering I get much better hardware with Android mobile phones. I only owned a Google Nexus gen 2 tablet previously which was very reasonably priced.

If I need a tablet now, I will happily purchase an iPad that is so much more powerful and capable. It costs more, but the A10X in the iPad Pro will certainly perform significantly better than the Kirin 960 or Snapdragon 820.

MoneyFace =p 07-03-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzup_ken (Post 113148421)
I agree that pricing is poor. To be fair, I never considered getting an Android tablet considering I get much better hardware with Android mobile phones. I only owned a Google Nexus gen 2 tablet previously which was very reasonably priced.

If I need a tablet now, I will happily purchase an iPad that is so much more powerful and capable. It costs more, but the A10X in the iPad Pro will certainly perform significantly better than the Kirin 960 or Snapdragon 820.

Depending on the needs from a tablet, 4:3 goers should only opt for Apple iPad that makes the most sense in terms of value and performance. Heavy media consumption avid users like me have been sticking to widescreen format tablets - only available to Android ecosystem. We may not need to have the best SoCs inside. But there's a bunch of us who wants the best screen with the best innards and willing to pay for it. Huawei M5 trying but still not there.

creative11112004 21-03-2018 10:49 PM


xJuzagalx 22-03-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyFace =p (Post 113166002)
Depending on the needs from a tablet, 4:3 goers should only opt for Apple iPad that makes the most sense in terms of value and performance. Heavy media consumption avid users like me have been sticking to widescreen format tablets - only available to Android ecosystem. We may not need to have the best SoCs inside. But there's a bunch of us who wants the best screen with the best innards and willing to pay for it. Huawei M5 trying but still not there.

I second that... currently still holding on to my Samsung tab s.. looking for replacement because of internal space constraints... and aging battery.. M5 might be the one.. I think Huawei remove the 3.5 audio jack might not be the best move but I believe that might be the future to go along with iPhone users.. Samsung might have to make this move sooner or later..

draco76x 30-03-2018 04:40 PM

Any release date for MediaPad M5 tablets in Singapore??


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.