Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #1921
Supremacy Member

Why so ex? When pro launch I remember it is $1100
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #1922

where got so cheap? when pro launch i rmb was 1398.. nearing end of last year was 1198 and recently drop to 900+
Imperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #1923

Beside currently at US store it cost 899.00 usd which work out to be $1142.. if you compare their surface, surface 2 pricing to singapore pricing the difference is add another about 60 to 100 dollar. so yea it will prolly be about 1.3
Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #1924

Why so ex? When pro launch I remember it is $1100
Its not ex, that is just based on the US price.. US is selling the 128GB model for USD$999 (that is before any sales tax, we have to add in the sales tax as different states have different sales taxes, in Singapore, its 7%(also known as GST) ) In singapore, it is a requirement to show price with the GST.

As I had worked out earlier, USD999 + 7%(sales tax-GST) = USD$1068.93 convert to SGD 1.27 = SGD$1357.54

Of course if you are looking at the 64GB model, then its, USD$899 +7% = USD$961.93 = SGD$1221.65

The above price is based on US price, Singapore price tends to be slightly higher(maybe for the reseller's coms)

When did the Pro launch at $1100???

This is the launch price in Singapore on 3rd June 2013

Microsoft Surface Pro
Price (Inclusive of GST)
64GB Edition S$1,198
128GB Edition S$1,328

Microsoft Surface Pro Available in Singapore on 3 June from S$1198 - HardwareZone.com.sg
picagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #1925

Personally if by April surface 2 won't come, it is goodbye to them:

1. There will be other tablets coming. Lenovo Miix 2 10 inch

2. IPad Pro. While apple senior executive mention there won't be any Ipad with Mac OS, we won't know their surprise. If Apple release IPad Pro with Mac OS, then goodbye to all the tablet makers.

Microsoft tablets are usually not popular as compared to ipad and android tablet. Only reason why they manage to make it is because they are the only tablet which can performs like a laptop using full fledge windows. That explain why RT fail as a product. If Mac OS comes along and priced at $1200. It is goodbye to surface

Well, you shouldn't be waiting, if the price is right and you have a need, and it suits you, just go for it, because there will always be a higher mountain along the way...

1) Lenovo Miix 2 10 inch is of a different level, its using a atom processor, does not have a active digitizer. So, if you were aiming for a atom based with no active digitizer(no pen), there are a lot more out there besides the lenovo. You shouldn't be looking at the Surface pro at all, in fact, to prevent more white hair, you should just look at the Asus T-100 or the HP slates... its currently available in Singapore and you don't have to wait anymore..

Surface pro competes with Samsung Ativ Pro 700T, Dell Venue Pro 11(7130) Sony Tab 11
(if you check the prices of those, you will see that Surface is not really Ex.)

2) IPad Pro, well, I don't doubt it, since Steve Jobs is no longer around, apple has become a headless monster, they are no longer leading, but just following.. So they may just come out with a hybrid.. But again, that is not even announced, not even rumored, So, how much waiting time you want to wait? In fact, got to ask, why are you able to wait, is it because this is not really a need, but just a want.

I have seen Apple slowly getting bigger to a point it has become a control freak, pretty much becoming the next Microsoft, Microsoft instead is becoming the next apple.. There has to be a balance. Ipad pro with MacOS, Apple is not known to be friendly with your wallet, so if they do come out with a Ipad pro, its not going to be $1200, if it does, its a atom based system which you could get a T-100 for just SGD$599 now.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #1926
Master Member

Personally if by April surface 2 won't come, it is goodbye to them:

1. There will be other tablets coming. Lenovo Miix 2 10 inch

2. IPad Pro. While apple senior executive mention there won't be any Ipad with Mac OS, we won't know their surprise. If Apple release IPad Pro with Mac OS, then goodbye to all the tablet makers.

Microsoft tablets are usually not popular as compared to ipad and android tablet. Only reason why they manage to make it is because they are the only tablet which can performs like a laptop using full fledge windows. That explain why RT fail as a product. If Mac OS comes along and priced at $1200. It is goodbye to surface
iPad Pro? Unlikely, at least not in the near future. Why? They will face the same issue Microsoft faced with with split Metro/Desktop problem, aka touch on a high-res desktop.

plus, you can bet it wouldn't be just 1200. Cos that will cannibalize their iPad sales. Plus Apple products are always at a premium over PC
knave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #1927

My MS Surface Pro has been upgraded to Win 8.1. The battery is depleting too fast at about 3-3.5hrs. I am wondering is there any External battery source or power bank suitable for the Pro which is using its proprietary connector?
benjiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #1928
Supremacy Member

Hello, anyone with the Surface running RT 8.1 can confirm if USB Ethernet works? Thanks.
Nope. Don't work and Microsoft will probably might not add the functionality for the RT. Might be better off getting the Surface Pro if you want to use USB Ethernet.
Baal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #1929

My MS Surface Pro has been upgraded to Win 8.1. The battery is depleting too fast at about 3-3.5hrs. I am wondering is there any External battery source or power bank suitable for the Pro which is using its proprietary connector?

You may want to try this first
Microsoft Surface Pro battery life solution found - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

After that you may want to try this for the external Battery pack
Microsoft Surface External Battery & Car Adapter Charger
watchlor likes this.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #1930

Let me try first with the processor power mgmt. Tks a lot.

You may want to try this first
Microsoft Surface Pro battery life solution found - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

After that you may want to try this for the external Battery pack
Microsoft Surface External Battery & Car Adapter Charger
benjiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #1931

I called Harvey Norman flagship store just now. According to the staff, SP2 is coming about next week. She might be mistaken for surface 2. Anyways, its something to look forward to.
Heyeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #1932

I called Harvey Norman flagship store just now. According to the staff, SP2 is coming about next week. She might be mistaken for surface 2. Anyways, its something to look forward to.
Read very interesting I would wait for the official release from MS , rather than those retail
shop wants make fast money by pulling this kind of info.
mikengtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #1933

Next week they will again tell you next week. The same old line every other week.
erniebirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #1934

woots my surface type 2 arrived.. I know its coming soon in singapore but oh well..
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #1935
Supremacy Member

But surface 2 is RT. I feel no point. Should get full window OS
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.