HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #2401
Supremacy Member

I just ordered my s2 with student offer! Really excited to receive it and unbox it!!
whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #2402

GREAT! i have a faulty ps3 lying around. Thanks!

edit: lol. short lived happiness. my ps3 is the old 1st gen one, 3 pin direct to the console. cannot fit.
sure you will be able to find something else!
derekcai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #2403

i really think the surface pro 2 wins hands down. power of a desktop and laptop (for work) and the portability of a tablet.

WIN! how much is it over there? can tompang? haha

Don't really agree with you, SP2 don't win hands down. The dell venue 11 pro is also "power of a desktop and laptop (for work) and the portability of a tablet" too..

Cons
-------
It has a choice of i5 haswell or a i3 haswell cpu.. Lost to SP2(its the haswell Y-series compared to the U-series by SP2)
SP2 uses watcom, dell uses synaptic(the pen have to buy)

Pros
-------
But its has a slightly bigger screen 10.8" FullHD vs 10.6" FullHD
It has a removable battery,
it can have 3G or 4G(depends on type) [also with GPS]
the wifi card and the SSD is user accessible
Currently local warranty is supported by Dell Singapore. (SP2, until singapore launch it, there is no local warranty for SP2.)

Its your choice...
picagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 AM   #2404

I just ordered my s2 with student offer! Really excited to receive it and unbox it!!
I am a student as well. How does the student offer work when ordering the Surface 2 online?

From the online store:

"This academic offer for eligible students, faculty, and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase and is subject to limitations."

What's the buying process like?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:41 AM   #2405

Oh dear, you just wasted money on what to be the worst tablet ever.
falcoroy likes this.
Livewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #2406

eh im using surface RT.. cannot load blackboard leh.. already updated to 8.1 and using IE 11.. added/remove the URL to compatibility view but still cannot
Imperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #2407

Oh dear, you just wasted money on what to be the worst tablet ever.
May I noe y?
md iszaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #2408

May I noe y?
Worst of Tablet (Windows Store severely lacking comparing to Android or iOS)
Worst of Laptop (You can't even run 3rd party desktop apps (Photoshop, WinRAR, AutoCAD etc) since this is promoted as a hybrid)

So indefinitely, this is the worst product of the worst combination.
Get the Surface Pro series instead. At least, the desktop side is much better there.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #2409

eh im using surface RT.. cannot load blackboard leh.. already updated to 8.1 and using IE 11.. added/remove the URL to compatibility view but still cannot
Mine work flawlessly on surface2. Have u tried contacting the helpdesk?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #2410

Worst of Laptop (You can't even run 3rd party desktop apps (Photoshop, WinRAR, AutoCAD etc) since this is promoted as a hybrid)

Get the Surface Pro series instead. At least, the desktop side is much better there.
A bit harsh to say its the worst, but nonetheless fair points made my friend.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #2411
Supremacy Member

Well. You are right, but you gotta know why I purchased this crappy s2. I own an ultra book(it's very light alr, but just too big for my bag), I also own a Samsung note 10.1 for my entertainment, and lastly the s2 is just there for me to use the Microsoft Office easily when I'm in school for assignment and presentation.

Thanks for the heads up anyway!! Your remarks are definitely useful when it comes to a person who's looking for his first tablet.

Might be the worst for first time tablet user but not for a person who owns multiple gadgets.

Last edited by whatme; 06-04-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #2412
Supremacy Member

I am a student as well. How does the student offer work when ordering the Surface 2 online?

From the online store:

"This academic offer for eligible students, faculty, and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase and is subject to limitations."

What's the buying process like?
Microsoft verifies your student eligibility by sending an email to your school email and all you have to do is to access your sch email and verify it. The second way to verify is to submit your identification document which will take 3-5 working days.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #2413

Well. You are right, but you gotta know why I purchased this crappy s2. I own an ultra book(it's very light alr, but just too big for my bag), I also own a Samsung note 10.1 for my entertainment, and lastly the s2 is just there for me to use the Microsoft Office easily when I'm in school for assignment and presentation.

Thanks for the heads up anyway!! Your remarks are definitely useful when it comes to a person who's looking for his first tablet.
In that case, you have bought the perfect tablet for casual work with Microsoft Office.
Didn't know your case. I apologise for that.
Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #2414
Supremacy Member

In that case, you have bought the perfect tablet for casual work with Microsoft Office.
Didn't know your case. I apologise for that.
Congratulations on your purchase.
You don't have to apologize in fact. Its true that surface 2 can't run legacy programs like photoshop or any games. Microsoft just plainly don't understand their consumers if compared with Apple. I was held back by this actually. LOL
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #2415
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yeah, even the Surface RT is now a very affordable and respected MSOffice device!

Problem is S Pro or Pro2 is that the MSOffice suite doesn't come free....that's a bummer.
porcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.