HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #331

Thanks for your responses ashhong and lovejade! Hopefully Microsoft will make an announcement at some point soon.
edotkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #332

Thanks for your responses ashhong and lovejade! Hopefully Microsoft will make an announcement at some point soon.
welcome to hardwarezone! haha
snakey256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #333

So I went to visit friends yesterday with my Surface for the first time. I had previously been there with my W8 laptop and logged onto their wifi.

So I opened up the Surface...to find that it was already connected to their wifi! Login details synced between my devices - that is a very cool feature.

Does this work for Windows Phone 8 devices also?

I love the integration between my surface/laptop/desktop and the docs/music/images/video sync making everything available via skydrive.

I notice in IE10 that my "most visited" sites are in front of me on any device, irrespective of where I browsed them - wish it would simply open up a browser with all the tabs that are already open on my other PCs though...
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #334

where to get one????
tan_hl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #335

What's the reason why everyone's getting the RT?

Other than techies' interest, there's barely any apps. I feel tickled by the idea you can see a full Windows Explorer desktop interface but cannot install any legacy desktop applications.

Yes, office is a deal but not dealbreaker. I wonder if i should buy it.
CherylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #336

I am gunning for the Surface Pro version
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #337

Other than techies' interest, there's barely any apps. I feel tickled by the idea you can see a full Windows Explorer desktop interface but cannot install any legacy desktop applications.

I wanted to get surface too .. But too expensive for its function .. And u r right .. Office is not a dealbreaker .. Android can purchase apps that have similar office function .. I am also considering if i should just get it or get a galaxy note 10.1 .. I just saw a youtube video where the guy open some apps and it seemed pretty lag .. wonder if just his case or common in surface ..
chansl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #338

yah but at what price point will you justify the purchase for pro?

Microsoft, RT and Pro looks exactly the same, but you can't install anything on RT, only their new web apps. sure mislead some, you don't see that on mac os and ipad.
Old 16-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #339

If you are unsure you why you need it, you probably don't need it.
For big corporations using MS products, having IE and MS office is a requirement. Other enterprise apps are now mostly SAAS so there is no need for app - SFDC, Workday, SAP, Clarify etc all are web based so you don't really need any other apps for doing mainstream office work. As such Win RT tablet is more suitable for people who uses mainly MS office and web based application services.

Last edited by GanCW; 16-11-2012 at 01:09 AM..
GanCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #340

Microsoft, RT and Pro looks exactly the same, but you can't install anything on RT, only their new web apps. sure mislead some, you don't see that on mac os and ipad.
It depends on how you plan to use your tablet and what applications you need to use. If you just want to read email, browse the web and play games, iPad or Android would be a better choice. If you have specifics legacy apps that are very important to you then you should consider Win 8 Pro or tablet/notebook hybrid.
GanCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #341

Because it's there

Honestly, I haven't felt deprived of apps - but then most of what I do with a tab is realised thru office or IE anyway. 16,000+ apps with 300-500 being added every day...the desktop and laptop market for regular windows8 is propelling the app development in ways other ecosystems could only dream of.

The trad desktop on the RT of course comes into its own when you flip open your kickstand and touch keyboard and use it like a laptop with the rest of the boardroom. But it also gives you access to the settings and underbelly of the OS if you need it. Even simple things like File Explorer makes this tablet much more familiar and usable to PC users than other tablets.

Gone are my android and iPad now, I only carry the Surface.

Of course, its not perfect and if I had my way I would want:
1) 3G at least, pref LTE
2) RT version of Outlook (the Mail app is kind of basic)
3) To play MKV files
E_T and GanCW like this.
Old 16-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #342

I don't think its any more or less misleading that MacOS...you can't install Mac programs on an iPad, you only expect to be able to install apps. Its the same with the Surface...

The difference with Win8/Win8RT is that apps in the store will work on both versions of Windows 8.
Old 16-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #343

I am gunning for the Surface Pro version
I want to be able to sit on my sofa n use the tablet easily.
I am currently using the Sony z viao, which is already an outstanding piece of laptop, however being a lappy, it's not comfortable to put on my lap for a long period.

I want a full spec tablet, esp with full java capability. Hv been waiting for someone to rls it. Finally MS is doing it.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #344

The price point question was actually directed to Chiron coz she hasn't bought it. Will a 10.6 inch screen justify the cost for the Pro that you will use for everything.

Thanks for the replies, I'm still finding a compelling reason for RT. What I was referring to below was Mac OS and iPad are visually distinctive. You can straightaway tell.

I don't think its any more or less misleading that MacOS...

The difference with Win8/Win8RT is that apps in the store will work on both versions of Windows 8.
Old 16-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #345

Should I get Samsung ativ instead? When is surface pro finally reaching sing? This is 'killing me softly'.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.