HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #3451
Master Member

you'll never know when you need a tablet or a notebook, and you don't have to lug 2 devices along..
A tablet will never be as good as a laptop. Oops, so is surface pro 3 considered a tablet too?
kenz likes this.
Spongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #3452
Master Member

you'll never know when you need a tablet or a notebook, and you don't have to lug 2 devices along..
Yeah. That's the greatest appeal of the Surface Pro 3.

Then again, as the saying goes "Jack of All Trades, Master of None"
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #3453
Master Member

A tablet will never be as good as a laptop. Oops, so is surface pro 3 considered a tablet too?
Not sure if you all are aware that since the arrival if the first surface pro and surface rt, the surface pro is marketed as 'notebook in tablet form and capabilities' and the surface rt is marketed as 'tablet with notebook capabilities'. So rt is a tablet that can do proper office documents and pro is a normal ultrabook that's in tablet form.
Red_Cheesepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #3454
Master Member

Yes, I got this thought too. So I got a Thinkpad 8 which is superior than nexus 7 in every aspect except the price point haha. If my scholarship covers notebook allowance of up to 2k I will buy surface pro 3 i7 256gb to replace my surface pro 1 loving surface pro 3, maybe cos I am used to doing my reports and research using a 10 inch surface pro 1, the 3 looks very useful for note taking cos they improved user experience and feel of the stylus.
Old 24-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #3455
Supremacy Member

Yes, I got this thought too. So I got a Thinkpad 8 which is superior than nexus 7 in every aspect except the price point haha. If my scholarship covers notebook allowance of up to 2k I will buy surface pro 3 i7 256gb to replace my surface pro 1 loving surface pro 3, maybe cos I am used to doing my reports and research using a 10 inch surface pro 1, the 3 looks very useful for note taking cos they improved user experience and feel of the stylus.
Don't get the i7, after using my i5 and reading the forums in MS i7 seems to have heat issues. The design is too compact to house this power horse.
Mikiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #3456

Not sure if you all are aware that since the arrival if the first surface pro and surface rt, the surface pro is marketed as 'notebook in tablet form and capabilities' and the surface rt is marketed as 'tablet with notebook capabilities'. So rt is a tablet that can do proper office documents and pro is a normal ultrabook that's in tablet form.
Fact is I didn't buy SP3 to replace the iPad. Apps are what defines a tablet and iPad is untouchable. I got SP3 because it is the sexiest ultrabook with powerful enough processor. It also comes with a pen which brings it one level above ultra books. If there are any good apps, it is a bonus. But that's just me.
lrt2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #3457
Master Member

Err... the SP3 doesn't come with keyboard or stylus. They are sold separately and comes up to an additional nearly $400.

Add that to the SP3.
Old 24-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #3458
Arch-Supremacy Member

Err... the SP3 doesn't come with keyboard or stylus. They are sold separately and comes up to an additional nearly $400.

Add that to the SP3.
i thought the surface pen is included...
RSKeisuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #3459
Master Member

Fact is I didn't buy SP3 to replace the iPad. Apps are what defines a tablet and iPad is untouchable. I got SP3 because it is the sexiest ultrabook with powerful enough processor. It also comes with a pen which brings it one level above ultra books. If there are any good apps, it is a bonus. But that's just me.
Yup, I wouldnt recommend people to replace iPad/android tablet with surface pro cos they serve different purpose. But among all ultrabooks, either MacOS with MBA or Windows with Surface pro 3 or MBA dual boot if feeling rich
Old 24-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #3460

Pen is included
sushibiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #3461
Master Member

Don't get the i7, after using my i5 and reading the forums in MS i7 seems to have heat issues. The design is too compact to house this power horse.
The material of the case is supposed to dissipate heat fast enough right? But I will wanna run light room and Photoshop on it. My i5 pro 1 can handle it but not very well, tot 4th gen i7 would be better...
Old 24-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #3462
Master Member

Pen is included
ops. my bad. looks like they learnt from SP2.
Old 24-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #3463

Had a try at sp3 at challenger NEX. Don't know if its just me or the sp demo set there, everything seems laggy. Pen not as smooth. I will usually use window journal to write and test the responsiveness. Sad to say, my asus vivotab note 8 seems to write better. But writing near edge is better coming from the problem Wacom face with asus tablet and other brand using Wacom in general. Writing on SP3 seems jerky at times.
alannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #3464

Intend to get the Core i5 128GB with 4GB RAM model this coming COMEX 2014. Anyone think i3 is more than enuff? Anyone getting the entry version? Considering that the next iteration of Surface Pro may utilize Broadwell chipset which will be more energy efficient and fanless.
Ray1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #3465

Had a try at sp3 at challenger NEX. Don't know if its just me or the sp demo set there, everything seems laggy. Pen not as smooth. I will usually use window journal to write and test the responsiveness. Sad to say, my asus vivotab note 8 seems to write better. But writing near edge is better coming from the problem Wacom face with asus tablet and other brand using Wacom in general. Writing on SP3 seems jerky at times.
You are not wrong...I have tested a display set at HN Northpoint branch and experienced some lag as well, its as though the pen is not well calibrated with the display or vice versa...when I asked the young "boyish-looking" Microsoft sales promoter why SP2 never make it to Singapore...he replied that the release date between Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 cuts in too close, hence the decision not to get the model in?! WTF is he toking about? Then I asked him is SP3 going to replace a normal laptop? He replied confidently with a resounding "yes' w/o a moment of hesitation...then I asked him what does a laptop entails? He told me a a full blown keyboard and a touchpad...but you have to purchase it separately as some customer in the past had feedback to Microsoft that they DO NOT WANT a keyboard for Surface Pro, hence the decision to drop the keyboard to allow the customer to have a freedom of choice whether to spend extra $$$ or not...then I asked him, so is SP3 a laptop replacement in your opinion? He said 'YES' - then why the heck Microsoft did not include it in the first place if it is poised as a laptop replacement?! If what Microsoft past stance on the keyboard is true...it is a direct response to the previous model and NOT the current model - i.e. SP3. Make sense?

Then I asked him is this response coming from Microsoft (Singapore) or you make up for a reason just to patronize me? He smiled at me and didn't answer me...what an awkward moment...I thanked him and told him I would like to try out the newly displayed SP3.

Lesson for the sale promoter - Dun treat customer like an idiot. There is NO STUPID QUESTION, ONLY STUPID ANSWERS! Good to do some homework on the product you are selling. You'll be surprised how much *knowledge* these days customers had in their mind. Think before you answer.

Last edited by Ray1976; 24-08-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Ray1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.