Microsoft Surface

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If anyone want to get SP3 at student price, PM me for a contact.

dazehead

Reaction score
Bought with student discount

Ordered mine with i5 256GB on Wednesday. can't wait. gonna use as laptop replacement, though could have gotten ultrabook at lower price, but paying for the form factor and mobility I guess. The student price helps mitigate that for me.

I think i still can buy at student price up to a limit (does anyone know?), so if anyone wants me to help buy for that price, PM me.

dazehead

Reaction score
surface 3 reached last night. With my 5 yr old daughter ard, really thinking of getting a case. what case are you guys using?

GilaQila

Reaction score
Hello.

I need some advice.

I'm a uni student, currently using a laptop in school. I use it mostly for schoolwork, and occasional dota. I'll be gng abroad for exchange and am considering changing my laptop to a microsoft surface pro 3.

I've read about issues on the i7 models. Would it still be recommended, or is the i5 model sufficient?

thanks!

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hello.

I need some advice.

I'm a uni student, currently using a laptop in school. I use it mostly for schoolwork, and occasional dota. I'll be gng abroad for exchange and am considering changing my laptop to a microsoft surface pro 3.

I've read about issues on the i7 models. Would it still be recommended, or is the i5 model sufficient?

thanks!

i7 provides no benefit to gaming. You go either you will still have some problems with gaming.

GilaQila

Reaction score
i7 provides no benefit to gaming. You go either you will still have some problems with gaming.
Thanks for the heads up.
I'm not really getting it for gaming though. I need to run some heavy apps for my course that involves 3D apps and stuff like photoshop. Would the i5 256gb 8gb ram be sufficient?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.
I'm not really getting it for gaming though. I need to run some heavy apps for my course that involves 3D apps and stuff like photoshop. Would the i5 256gb 8gb ram be sufficient?

I wonder if the Surface is even the right laptop for 3D apps. Don't you need a proper GPU for that?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

If your 3D app requires some realtime rendering then I suggest you get the i7 due to a more robust GPU. Below are some of the differences between the SP3 Core i5 & i7.

- SP3 i5 has 3MB L3 cache while i7 has 4MB L3 cache, better for large data-sets
- SP3 i5 has HD4400 (GT2) while i7 has HD5000 (GT3) which is 5-25% faster in DirectX 3D
- SP3 i5 has a higher base clock speed but a lower burst speed. This means it's less likely to overheat even though both are 15Watt TDP parts. For 3D rendering, a higher burst speed is good
- Generally GPU performance is better than current-gen AMD integrated APU based on thermal performance but of course, cannot compete with dedicated GPUs (with GDDR4/5 ram) found on much heavier gaming laptops

I think the i7-256GB SSD is a good choice if you have budget. Or you can get the 512GB if you have extra $. :)

GilaQila

Reaction score
If your 3D app requires some realtime rendering then I suggest you get the i7 due to a more robust GPU. Below are some of the differences between the SP3 Core i5 & i7.

- SP3 i5 has 3MB L3 cache while i7 has 4MB L3 cache, better for large data-sets
- SP3 i5 has HD4400 (GT2) while i7 has HD5000 (GT3) which is 5-25% faster in DirectX 3D
- SP3 i5 has a higher base clock speed but a lower burst speed. This means it's less likely to overheat even though both are 15Watt TDP parts. For 3D rendering, a higher burst speed is good
- Generally GPU performance is better than current-gen AMD integrated APU based on thermal performance but of course, cannot compete with dedicated GPUs (with GDDR4/5 ram) found on much heavier gaming laptops

I think the i7-256GB SSD is a good choice if you have budget. Or you can get the 512GB if you have extra $. :)
Yeah there are some real-life tendering. But so far I only need it one class. Not sure if I will need it in the future.

I'm really worried about the overheating issue though. Seems real bad from all the reads I've done.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Check the article dates. The overheating issue was reported many months ago & so far I have not seen any reports after the recent firmware updates.

When you're using on battery it shouldn't overheat. The only worry if you do rendering for many many hours on AC power when the CPU can run at full speed.

From what I read last time, the overheating came when people play games on AC Power although there was a few which overheat when watching video but I think those are exceptional cases.

xphobic

Reaction score

Wongpk

Master Member
Reaction score
15840871593_59650aa6e1.jpg

edcruz

Reaction score
just spoke to MS CSO. he confirmed that it's an existing problem for ALL sp3 are like this. Are not limited to different batches. All are like that. no solution for now.

my jagged lines only happen when:
(1) plugged in - charging (unplugged not so often)
(2) draw fast curves (e.g. drawing circle)
(3) palm on screen

:(:(

sorry for few post all at once, couldn't get response on another thread. thx~

desmondkw

Reaction score
I just realised that my unit has the same issue: never bothered me before as you really had to zoom in close to see it!

I tested mine with different sized nibs (from the 'draw' tab) and circle sizes - and small and medium nibs + medium sized circles seem to produce the noticeable 'jagged edges'.

just spoke to MS CSO. he confirmed that it's an existing problem for ALL sp3 are like this. Are not limited to different batches. All are like that. no solution for now.

my jagged lines only happen when:
(1) plugged in - charging (unplugged not so often)
(2) draw fast curves (e.g. drawing circle)
(3) palm on screen

:(:(

sorry for few post all at once, couldn't get response on another thread. thx~

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.