Microsoft Surface

tspurs

Reaction score
Ordered the blue type cover. Too bad teal isn't available, though if it was, it won't be so good for SP3 as there will not be any teal pen loop.

tspurs

Reaction score
Will the pen also stick to the sp3 like on the sp4? That would be awesome@!
Won't. For the SP4 they moved the volume buttons away from the left side to the top. This allows them to create an area with magnets for the pen on the left side.

mark_twain

Reaction score
Surface 3 does not compete with Surface Pro 3 or 4 in terms of customer base. Thus, it is unlikely that the price of Surface 3 will drop in price due to launch of Surface Pro 4. Different market, different category.

Surface Pro 3 is now on sale though, as MS will need to clear all the old stocks for Surface Pro 4 to come in. Will be a gradual process though, as potential buyers will likely be eyeing more for the latest 4.

New pricing of Surface Pro 3 is quite attractive if you dont compare the slightly better specs of the new 4.

You can even bargain down a mint used set for much lower price now.

Interesting to see how demand supply changes when they make Surface Book available though, as there may be users looking for a more complete laptop experience with Surface Book and yet it is detachable to convert into a tablet, much like the Asus T100/T300.

will Surface 3 becomes cheaper?

Last edited:

tspurs

Reaction score
Answering my own speculations ...

The big unknown is whether they choose to go fanless with 6th generation Core M, or keep the fan and go with 6th generation i5 and i7.
They did both! Core M3 version is fanless, while i5 and i7 versions have a fan. But they went one better by improving the cooling system and adding Iris graphics to the i7.

As for screen size, it is possible to take the same form factor, enlarge the screen size a bit by shrinking the bezel, and still fit into the existing docking station, which Microsoft has said will be compatible.

A good size would be 12.4 inches, which would give the SP4 the same screen length as the Ipad Pro. Microsoft can opt to go for 2700x1800 resolution, which would give the SP4 the same pixel density as the Ipad Pro.

Pretty close. 12.3 inches and compatible with existing docking station. 2732x1824 resolution. But I didn't know about Pixelsense technology.

Other possible useful improvements
* option for LTE
No :(

* higher maximum brightness for the screen
Yes!

* windows button can either be removed or replaced by a fingerprint scanner
Yes! Fingerprint scanner on one version of the type cover. Otherwise use eye scan with the front facing camera.

* an extra USB type C port
No :(
* further improvements to the type cover and pen
Yes and yes!

* auto focus for the cameras
Yes!

I can't really justify getting a SP4, but mighty tempting...

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
the sp3 i5 is a pretty solid machine so ill probably wait for the sp5 for a bigger performance jump. but it makes more sense to get the sp4 (only i5 and up) if you hv older gen or new to surface. the m3 isnt much of an upgrade vs the i5 sp3. the sb with gpu is awesome upgrade but the size makes it less portable as compared so if if i get that, ill still need a smaller tablet to fill the gap >.<
i believed the sp4 and sb will attract some mac camp to jump ship

Last edited:

Rickosw

Reaction score
BT two devices to Surface 3

Hi,

Can I bluetooth, two devices at the same time to Surface 3?
ie Bluetooth to Speaker & Mouse?

or only can connect to one device

thanks!

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can I bluetooth, two devices at the same time to Surface 3?
ie Bluetooth to Speaker & Mouse?

or only can connect to one device

thanks!

the BT shd be able to pair to 6 device at once~

Rickosw

Reaction score
thanks to the Bros who answered my BT question earlier
cheers!

another question on Surface 3

since it is positioned as a laptop replacement ...
do i need to "defragment" my hard-disk every quarter / 6 months - like the way i do for traditional laptop harddrive?

or no need

and just do the clear cache / cookies in the web browser / edge...

-------

any other ways to clear up the memory? or clear up the space in surface 3?

please advice again

thanks !

nubitol

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ssd no need to defrag, in fact the file data is scatter around chips, if you defrag ssd it will shorten its life span

etherealism

Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.