Microsoft Surface

lexmarq

Reaction score
I believe mobile.HD plays .mkv as I managed to play mkv files on my surface using the app. There is a full-feature trial for you to try and if you like it, you can buy it. I am personally waiting for the VLC app for windows RT to come out as I donated for its kickstarter, don't want to pay for another app :s12:. Will watch all the videos on my desktop until VLC is out for my surface.

adix_82

Banned
Reaction score
ROCK Vein Series for the Microsoft surface. Simple and not too shabby. Available in Singapore.

2012122810033427506.jpg

2012122810005577800.jpg

2012122810052347221.jpg

2012122810053621837.jpg

2012122810012430196.jpg

Last edited:

ThePhantom

Reaction score
For those lucky ones who have had some time with the Surface RT, what's your feedback on the performance so far? Some reviews seemed to suggest that the performance can still be rather patchy and sluggish for some applications.

brightangelus

Reaction score
For those lucky ones who have had some time with the Surface RT, what's your feedback on the performance so far? Some reviews seemed to suggest that the performance can still be rather patchy and sluggish for some applications.

I've had the Surface now for about 2 months.

The performance isn't patchy, it's just not as fast as a present gen iPad. It's much faster than a netbook.

I bought it because it is an inexpensive alternative to a work laptop. Less than 1k, 8 hour battery life, USB storage, a full working keyboard and MS Office.

If you use it as a work laptop alternative, then it functions perfectly well.

Build quality is first rate.

Some unreliability with several apps (notably Zinio, which is much improved since they patched it) but not for the work based things.

Happy to answer other questions.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've had the Surface now for about 2 months.

The performance isn't patchy, it's just not as fast as a present gen iPad. It's much faster than a netbook.

I bought it because it is an inexpensive alternative to a work laptop. Less than 1k, 8 hour battery life, USB storage, a full working keyboard and MS Office.

If you use it as a work laptop alternative, then it functions perfectly well.

Build quality is first rate.

Some unreliability with several apps (notably Zinio, which is much improved since they patched it) but not for the work based things.

Happy to answer other questions.

1. can the RT do remote desktop?
2. do u use a mouse, if yes what type?

brightangelus

Reaction score
1. can the RT do remote desktop?
2. do u use a mouse, if yes what type?

1. Not VDI type desktop. It works with webmail office though. Hmmm. Interesting thought though. Any suggestions for which remote I should try?

2. Used several already. Logitech normal mice seem to work fine. Have also used sandisk thumbdrives all work okay.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Not VDI type desktop. It works with webmail office though. Hmmm. Interesting thought though. Any suggestions for which remote I should try?

2. Used several already. Logitech normal mice seem to work fine. Have also used sandisk thumbdrives all work okay.

what is VDI desktop?

i'm referring to the windows remote desktop "mstsc"...

basically i have a pc for office work...
so when i went for meeting, i use a laptop and connect to company wifi network, run remote desktop to connect to my office pc....

so want to know whether windows RT can do this or not.

ThePhantom

Reaction score
darkpool - Believe we can purchase from the Microsoft online Store (US) via facilities like Citi GlobeShopper and VPost.

brightangelus - Thanks! I do want to be able to watch videos / movies with ease but I believe the support for the various formats is still limited at this stage? I do know that VLC will be coming out with the native app for Windows 8 / RT in the coming months but in the meantime, how is your experience in this area, if any? Do you also use the native Mail App? I read that it's way too basic for meaningful use.

unicorn78

Reaction score

Is the number of USB ports enough? If we get USB extension, can the power support?

doctorweir

Reaction score
what is VDI desktop?

i'm referring to the windows remote desktop "mstsc"...

basically i have a pc for office work...
so when i went for meeting, i use a laptop and connect to company wifi network, run remote desktop to connect to my office pc....

so want to know whether windows RT can do this or not.

Yes, Surface runs the remote desktop app from microsoft.
All USB mice will work. Plus, the touch cover has a touch pad integrated.
1 USB port. Never used an USB hub on it, but power shoulkd be decent enough...hey, I can charge my phone with it... ;-)

brightangelus

Reaction score
brightangelus - Thanks! I do want to be able to watch videos / movies with ease but I believe the support for the various formats is still limited at this stage? I do know that VLC will be coming out with the native app for Windows 8 / RT in the coming months but in the meantime, how is your experience in this area, if any? Do you also use the native Mail App? I read that it's way too basic for meaningful use.

This is what I'm using:

Invisible Control Video Player for Windows 8 | The Download Blog - CNET Download.com

I know that's the w8 version I linked, but it seems to play my handbrake videos that I decoded for my iOS devices. Played HD videos straight out of a video camera too.

Playback was smooth enough. With this tablet, you need to just give it a short opportunity to get up to speed, then everything works fine.

EDIT: sorry forgot to answer the e-mail question. I incorporated my gmail and yahoo e-mail accounts into the built in program. It works absolutely fine. I dunno why people moan about it. I have had no buggy issues, no errors, or failures. I guess maybe the presentation isn't what people like? Sure it's basic, but...I can send e-mail, receive email, download attachments, open attachments...file in folders.

I don't use the email program for work though. I use my company's webmail site for that.

I wish I had a virtual desktop app :(

Last edited:

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
There's a jailbreak available now btw, you can unlock the Surface RT to run any Win32/desktop apps as long as it have been recompiled to ARM.

screenshot8dy.png

[Release] RT Jailbreak Tool - xda-developers
Desktop apps ported to Windows RT - xda-developers

Just remember to disable Windows update via RegEdit and only update things selectively when needed. Microsoft may patch this soon.

--

Just did a few tweaks to the home screen too, with 4 grid of tiles instead of 3. :D
wp20130111.jpg

I wasn't able to buy from Microsoft store for some reason.. it kept rejecting my credit card despite having a valid info + vPost account. Expansys works anyway, I got it within 2 days after paying.

Last edited:

brightangelus

Reaction score
This is extremely helpful, thank you!

Unfortunately, it's one of those things that requires a higher level of expertise that I just don't have...plus I'll need people to help recompile programs that just aren't on the list...

(actually, they're recompiling what looks like quite esoteric programs...)

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Note that the RT workaround to run Win32 programs need to be run every time you restart the tablet. It isn't permanent like that of a iOS jailbreak.

addicted9

Reaction score
Hey everyone, you guys purchased your surface from Microsoft website via shipping services? Got what shipping services reliable ah?
And also, if it spoils, how to send it for warranty? :s11:
PS. Anyone has a set available to sell?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.