HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #4456

Now i really dunno want to get the i3/64gb or i5/256gb.....the i5 throttling is dam bad after an hour of intense work from what ive been reading and hearing..the i3 doesnt throttle but then whether the 36gb is sufficient....i will mainly be doing java, writing notes thats all lolz and i still have a zenbook...
I have the i5 128gb version here. One thing to note is that the initial updates are hell on the system. This is when the i7 version overheats. The thing tries to download and install so many things at once Beyond the initial downloading and updating of the firmware and OS, my SP3 hasn't really heated up much. My use case is mostly Office, browsing, OneNote, R, occasional photoshop, etc and occasional screencasting and some hearthstone. Not the lightest, but not the heaviest of tasks either. I turned off a lot of things in the background though, e.g. disk encryption (don't know why it's enabled by default!), just like with my SP1 in order to have a minimal, consistent set of programmes running so as not to unnecessarily burden the device. Hearthstone makes it run the hottest, being a legacy game (really wish they'd compile a metro version, it really isn't hard). The rest of the time, the heat never really gets to a point where it's bothersome.
RequiemDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #4457
High Supremacy Member

The Arc Touch is Bluetooth 4.0 while the M557 is only Bluetooth 3.0~

I am using the Logitech M557 bluetooth mouse for my Surface Pro 3 and IMO better value to get the Arc Mouse Surface Edition. The ONLY reason people going for the Arc Mouse (Surface Edition) is the bluetooth connectivity. And of course when not in use, flatten it which will not take up much space. But Logitech M557 mouse is much cheaper and if you are a Chrome browser user like me, you will need the Smooth Scrolling extension of the Logitech mouse to make browsing and scrolling a breeze.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #4458

The Arc Touch is Bluetooth 4.0 while the M557 is only Bluetooth 3.0~
Ok...bluetooth 4.0 is more energy efficient. Apart from the bluetooth specs, is there anything else that Logitech M557 cannot do while Arc Mouse can?
Ray1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #4459

I have the i5 128gb version here. One thing to note is that the initial updates are hell on the system. This is when the i7 version overheats. The thing tries to download and install so many things at once Beyond the initial downloading and updating of the firmware and OS, my SP3 hasn't really heated up much. My use case is mostly Office, browsing, OneNote, R, occasional photoshop, etc and occasional screencasting and some hearthstone. Not the lightest, but not the heaviest of tasks either. I turned off a lot of things in the background though, e.g. disk encryption (don't know why it's enabled by default!), just like with my SP1 in order to have a minimal, consistent set of programmes running so as not to unnecessarily burden the device. Hearthstone makes it run the hottest, being a legacy game (really wish they'd compile a metro version, it really isn't hard). The rest of the time, the heat never really gets to a point where it's bothersome.
Same experience as you...using the same specs and model as yours. It gets quite "hot" after doing some serious fireworks editing. But for normal usage like office application, One Note and normal surfing of the internet, the "heat" is tolerable. No lag just the heat...
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #4460
Supremacy Member

The feeling of iCarbon skin is so good so far.
picagen likes this.
Mikiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #4461

thanks guys.

very informative!

I have a WD Black HDD on my desktop which I intend to use it as an external harddrive. If I install most of the programs on it, would it be fast enough? Say it's a SATA II HDD.

Is the loading time greatly affected, if it's installed on a SD card?

I'm deciding between 128 GB and 64 GB version, but leaning towards the 64 GB, as I think there's some heat issue with the i5 and i7 version, right?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

i'm planning to dismantle my WD Black HDD and use it as a desktop

First off, you need to know your needs first.. the amount of programs you need to install, the type of programs and amount of memories required.. You choose that first, cause if you need 8GB of memories, you need to choose the i5/8GB/256GB.

If 4GB RAM is ok for you, how much space does your programs takes? You don't install it outside the SP3 to your external HDD.. programs should stay with your SP3. So if your programs are bigger than 30GB, please don't get the i3/4GB/64GB version... Just go for the i5/4GB/128GB version instead..

i5 may get hot, but there are ways to work around it. (like you can manually throttle it down)

but if you get the i3 and you ran out of space to install your programs, pushing it to microSD is slower, but you still face data space constrain.

Your HDD is great as a home dock desktop mode for the sp3.. but not to install programs in it.. to hold your movies, your huge collections of art and many large stuffs...

Looking at the heat issue, its not too much of a problem if you don't mind slowing it down.. i5 can be cool by not letting it clock up. The throttling issue you hear is the system forcing the i5 to slow down as its getting too hot, so it only gets hot because its running too fast too hot for the system cooling system to handle.. But clocking down a i5 down looses both heat and its speed advantages over the i3.. in fact it almost brings it on par.

So the considering factor isn't i3 or i5 its memories and SSD space..

64GB model fits my needs of what programs I want to run in the SP3 (as a mobile machine) I am not going to pay another $250 just for another 64GB of SSD space. All SP3 has the same screen, pen, battery, kickstand.

But if you need more space, or more memory, 64GB model is not your choice, please don't think of installing your programs in a external HDD or microSD.. those are for your datas...

You know thy self better
picagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #4462

Question to those people with i3 model, when surfing internet with many tabs scrolling any lag? Or when typing?

I am now sitting in a café, running at 0.57GHz speed(forced)

(battery mode, - so far about 1.5hrs used 12%)

with 8 tabs open in my desktop IE, an 200kb excel spreadsheet opened , VLC player with a 720P video (currently paused) and a 100MB PDF document opened -(evince PDF reader)

No lag in scrolling and typing webpages and scrolling the pdf..

The only lag I get is adobe acrobat and when loading the webpages, due to slower internet access (via Bluetooth to my 3G HP)
noobzpro likes this.

Last edited by picagen; 08-09-2014 at 09:44 PM..
picagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #4463
Master Member

Today had a surprise when I arrived home..Microsoft send me a free sleeve for surface
so good ah? Will I get one too? LOL~ how come you get leh?
Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #4464
Arch-Supremacy Member

anyways anybody needs the grab and go pack? i do not need it and have the option to get it
noobzpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #4465
Master Member

How's the battery life for you guys?

On default screen brightness (out of the box, no changes made) the battery seems to be dropping really fast for me and I don't foresee it lasting 9 hours. Tuned the brightness down and it seems to be better but still don't think it can last 9 hours. And I'm not even running anything intensive, just reading PDFs and surfing the net.

I can probably reach 9 hours if I switch off WiFi but isn't it supposed to 9 hours of continuous surfing?
Niaoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #4466

How's the battery life for you guys?

On default screen brightness (out of the box, no changes made) the battery seems to be dropping really fast for me and I don't foresee it lasting 9 hours. Tuned the brightness down and it seems to be better but still don't think it can last 9 hours. And I'm not even running anything intensive, just reading PDFs and surfing the net.

I can probably reach 9 hours if I switch off WiFi but isn't it supposed to 9 hours of continuous surfing?
It does depend on what kind of website you surf to and what browser you use too. The most notorious battery sucking browser is Chrome. Also, make sure that the SP3 isn't doing some massive system update in the background too.

I do get roughly 8 to 9 hours of use in the sense that I start work at about 8am and by about 530pm, it's at around 7-10% left. It's not constantly in use since I close the cover when moving from place to place, but I'd say it's turned on 90% of the time. My own unscientific test last weekend was using metro IE and brightness at about 30% and I did get about 9 hours of surfing, vegging out at home.

On the other hand, I just installed a bunch of games. Let's see how that affects the battery life tomorrow. Heh.
RequiemDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #4467
Master Member

It does depend on what kind of website you surf to and what browser you use too. The most notorious battery sucking browser is Chrome. Also, make sure that the SP3 isn't doing some massive system update in the background too.

I do get roughly 8 to 9 hours of use in the sense that I start work at about 8am and by about 530pm, it's at around 7-10% left. It's not constantly in use since I close the cover when moving from place to place, but I'd say it's turned on 90% of the time. My own unscientific test last weekend was using metro IE and brightness at about 30% and I did get about 9 hours of surfing, vegging out at home.

On the other hand, I just installed a bunch of games. Let's see how that affects the battery life tomorrow. Heh.
Ya I sorta realised that Chrome was sucking battery like there's no tomorrow so I switched to Firefox but it doesn't seem to be helping I guess I could always lower the brightness again but pretty sure Microsoft wasn't intending for a totally dark screen when they quoted 9 hours

Will continue to monitor!
Niaoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #4468

Ya I sorta realised that Chrome was sucking battery like there's no tomorrow so I switched to Firefox but it doesn't seem to be helping I guess I could always lower the brightness again but pretty sure Microsoft wasn't intending for a totally dark screen when they quoted 9 hours

Will continue to monitor!
Use IE. IE is basically the best browser for battery life. Firefox and Chrome are battery sucking.
I managed to last 8-9 hours using exclusively IE.
Livewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #4469

Yes...I also realize that Chrome Browser really use up battery very fast
Old 09-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #4470
Master Member

Yes, Chrome is a huge battery eater. If you open task manager concurrently, you can see that Chrome easily uses 100% of your CPU power to load web pages. Their priority is speed. Not to mention it consumes lots of memory. IE uses 50-60% and seldom goes beyond 70% unless for super loaded Java, flash sites.

Perhaps limiting CPU processing power to 50% when on battery mode might do the trick to get more juice. Has anyone tried this?
purpleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.