HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #5206

Hi, wanting to buy a surface pro for my brother for using microsoft excel and access to email mainly.

Not in a rush to get it.

Can anyone recommend me which Surface pro to get (ram n cpu) and is sls/funan/challenger cheaper then online (amazon?newegg?lazada?)

Many thanks.
Online microsoft store now has SG50 promotion - $50 off for every $500 spent. Depending on the model you take, it's almost equivalent to getting type cover for free.
justarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #5207

Beware of the unethical microsoft online store

Long story short, don't order the tablet online from microsoft, or risk what I went thru.

When I ordered one online, i was not notified there was no stock. In fact, the purchase email said delivery would take 4 business days.

By the 3rd biz day, i noticed it was on back order. When i enquired, i was told there was no stock and that i possibly might get the stock soon. I was incredulous -- if there was no stock, i should have been notified instead, but i was not notified. I asked for the purchase to be cancelled. That was acceded to.

After a day, i never got any cancellation notification. When i enquired again, i was told the order was never cancelled and that i cannot cancel. When i told them that the order stated 4 business day for delivery, the tech retorted that it was 4 days from the day it was shipped. I was fuming and replied that microsoft could ship out the tablet in year 2020 then since they only promised 4 days to be from the date it was shipped?

Incidentally, the email did not state 4 business days from the date of shipping but just 4 business days. Despicable to try to worm out of a contract and customer fulfilment in this manner. Distasteful. I tried calling the tech support since they suggested so, but no one answered my call. Presumably, i called too early; I suppose they only work from 9 to 5.

To anyone ordering from the online store, i strongly recommend you to be wary. If it is so difficult even to order one and how shady microsoft conducts its business (regarding backorders, claiming delivery is 4 days from shipping not ordering), i can't imagine how difficult it must be if there is something wrong with the tablet.

Last edited by Inertiaholic; 13-08-2015 at 08:18 PM..
Inertiaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #5208
Arch-Supremacy Member

scary....I was about to place an order with them.

Microsoft is a such a big organisation. Wondering if they have outsourced the sales of Surface.

Test Balloon leads to political attack
Sai777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #5209
Master Member

My set was purchased from Microsoft Online also. However, my experience was a pleasant one. The delivery by DHL was exceptionally fast for me. IIRC it was 1-2 working days. Product was shipped out from China btw.
mudxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #5210

Yeah it was for me too last year when I got the sp3. I really can't fathom what got so screwed up this time.

Anyway I got thru the helpline and was told stocks will be in on 18th. Told them to cancel but so far still no email confirmation.

My set was purchased from Microsoft Online also. However, my experience was a pleasant one. The delivery by DHL was exceptionally fast for me. IIRC it was 1-2 working days. Product was shipped out from China btw.
Old 15-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #5211

Ha ha i tried posting the following experience on microsoft's website and was told "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!".

I was expecting them to say they can't publish it but that they would direct my experience to their customer service dept, but nope, they just said they won't publish it.

Long story short, don't order the tablet online from microsoft, or risk what I went thru.

When I ordered one online, i was not notified there was no stock. In fact, the purchase email said delivery would take 4 business days.

By the 3rd biz day, i noticed it was on back order. When i enquired, i was told there was no stock and that i possibly might get the stock soon. I was incredulous -- if there was no stock, i should have been notified instead, but i was not notified. I asked for the purchase to be cancelled. That was acceded to.

After a day, i never got any cancellation notification. When i enquired again, i was told the order was never cancelled and that i cannot cancel. When i told them that the order stated 4 business day for delivery, the tech retorted that it was 4 days from the day it was shipped. I was fuming and replied that microsoft could ship out the tablet in year 2020 then since they only promised 4 days to be from the date it was shipped?

Incidentally, the email did not state 4 business days from the date of shipping but just 4 business days. Despicable to try to worm out of a contract and customer fulfilment in this manner. Distasteful. I tried calling the tech support since they suggested so, but no one answered my call. Presumably, i called too early; I suppose they only work from 9 to 5.

To anyone ordering from the online store, i strongly recommend you to be wary. If it is so difficult even to order one and how shady microsoft conducts its business (regarding backorders, claiming delivery is 4 days from shipping not ordering), i can't imagine how difficult it must be if there is something wrong with the tablet.
Old 17-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #5212
Honorary Member

Hmmm my experience with Microsoft store is pretty pleasant though

I like it really much so far
kaixax555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #5213
Master Member

My experience when i got my SP3 from ms store also good.

I bought mine together with office home @ price 150+ (after discount price in bundling mode)
Then i found that its actually sales at 138.
Call in to helpdesk and they did refund me the differences.

Delivery also took only 1 working day... ordered on Friday and received the box at my office on Monday.

Great tablet. been using for learning languages... unlimited drawing board...
Old 11-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #5214

Hi all

Having been looking at the Surface 3 recently. Currently Microsoft is giving free Typecover & Stylus for purchase of the Surface 3 from their website.

Other than buying with an education discount, does anyone know of a better deal for this tablet?
Bobby Goh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #5215
Master Member

Hi all

Having been looking at the Surface 3 recently. Currently Microsoft is giving free Typecover & Stylus for purchase of the Surface 3 from their website.

Other than buying with an education discount, does anyone know of a better deal for this tablet?
Thats the best offer already. It beats buying off the shelves!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #5216

Thanks, that's what I thought so too. The savings from the type cover and stylus could go towards paying for extra ram / storage plus screen protector.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #5217
Master Member

Given this promo, I suggest go for the higher end Surface 3. Screen protector is optional. I have used my SP3 without screen protector for 1 year already.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #5218

Yes, I'm definitely aiming for the 4gb ram / 128gb storage version, especially it'll be less than $1000 now.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #5219

Looks like Microsoft is clearing stock to prepare launching of the surface 4 and surface pro 4. Anyway, this is still a very attractive offer. Thinking very hard now, buy or wait?
sumkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #5220

It will probably be a cpu refresh with newer 6th gen from intel. I hope they do not make the size bigger for SP4/S4 because the current screen size form factor is really what attracts me. To be able to reuse their accessories on newer gen will also be nice.

The SP4 should be released first and S4 later since MS released S3 just around March this year while the SP3 was released last year?
raspdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.