Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #571
E_T
Master Member

Bros,

Does anyone know if Win RT Surface can connect to anyone of these Mobile Broadband Wireless Modems? Both the Huawei doesnt list Win 8 or RT in their specification, but if it works as WiFi hot spot, shouldnt the surface RT connect to it?

HUAWEI E5331 - HUAWEI E5331 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

HUAWEI E586 - HUAWEI E586 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Mobile Broadband PR39 Wireless Modem from Starhub?

Or any other mobile broadband modems for Surface RT?

Yogam.
Hey Yogam, these MiFi will work when connected thru WiFi but wouldn't work via USB. Management is web-based so definitely no problem.
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #572

Anyone want a 32G Surface RT for $700? No keyboard or box, but in excellent excellent shape.

e-mail: brightangelus@yahoo.com
brightangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #573
Master Member

Finally. Not sure how it will fare up against Samsung ones.

yantao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #574
E_T
Master Member

Samsung Smart PC is big, plasticky & doesn't look very nice. I would rather get the Acer W700.
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #575

Anyone want a 32G Surface RT for $700? No keyboard or box, but in excellent excellent shape.

e-mail: brightangelus@yahoo.com
brightangelus - Looking to offload your Surface already?
ThePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #576

Heh, sounds like it right?

Nah, I now wanna get the Pro, but I can't have both, right?

If I can't sell the RT, it isn't a problem. Perhaps I'm being a little opportunistic!

EDIT : Typo

Last edited by brightangelus; 25-01-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Old 25-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #577
Master Member

Heh, sounds like it right?

Nah, I'm now wanna get the Pro, but I can't have both, right?

If I can't sell the RT, it isn't a problem. Perhaps I'm being a little opportunistic!
Why can't you have both

The Pro is definitely more interesting than the RT. Frankly I'm not particularly impressed by the Tegra 3 processor, and the limited selection of apps is quite annoying.

A full blown Windows OS with touchscreen support in a tablet format will be welcome. The nice part about the Surface tablets is that generally they don't need covers / cases. The build is very durable and the kickstand makes it a breeze to use when you're at a table.
masotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #578

hey, I can't afford to keep buying tablets! (2 ipads and 1 surface rt already)

My problem with the Pro has always been that it was a tad too heavy and thick and the battery life is just not good enough. It is also expensive. At that price, it's not a difficult jump to a macbook air 11" (which starts at S$1268! - CNY special) which will be fully functional and has excellent battery life.

I also think having full W8 will just eat up memory, but it doesn't stop the itch in just trying something new. :p
Old 25-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #579
Master Member

hey, I can't afford to keep buying tablets! (2 ipads and 1 surface rt already)

My problem with the Pro has always been that it was a tad too heavy and thick and the battery life is just not good enough. It is also expensive. At that price, it's not a difficult jump to a macbook air 11" (which starts at S$1268! - CNY special) which will be fully functional and has excellent battery life.

I also think having full W8 will just eat up memory, but it doesn't stop the itch in just trying something new. :p
Heh... wasn't really serious about owning both the RT + Pro .

The Air is an excellent device, but it's not really in the same category as the Pro. It doesn't have a touchscreen, weighs more and has no stylus. PPI will also be less... 135 ppi for the 11" Macbook Air as opposed to 208 ppi for the 10.6" Surface Pro. Note that the Retina Macbook Pro 13" has a ppi of 226, so the Surface Pro is very close to Retina levels.

Do you already own a MacBook? If not then you might want to get an Air instead, since you already have 2 tablets. Otherwise I'd probably choose the Surface Pro.
Old 25-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #580

That's good advice, thanks.

I have an old old MB (white unibody) and wanted something light and long lasting purely for work. To me the iPad was inadequate. No USB, no Office. MBA is attractive, I admit, but the 11" MBA doesn't work with my office's virtual desktop program. That's why I was looking into a windows machine.
Old 25-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #581

Im still torn between RT and Pro! I like the mobility of RT but am concerned with the Tegra 3 performance from online reviews. Though I must say that when I played around with the Asus VivoTab RT, I didnt notice any significant lags.
ThePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #582
Master Member

Get pro for a real tablet/laptop experience. Android or iPad for light usage.
yantao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #583

Im still torn between RT and Pro! I like the mobility of RT but am concerned with the Tegra 3 performance from online reviews. Though I must say that when I played around with the Asus VivoTab RT, I didnt notice any significant lags.
There isn't. The lag issue is really overblown.

I have no problems with performance. Only reason I want a pro is because I'm itchy.
Old 26-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #584
Master Member

There isn't. The lag issue is really overblown.

I have no problems with performance. Only reason I want a pro is because I'm itchy.
There IS lag on some applications. I'm not sure if its because it was implemented as a HTML5 conversion (I'm making a guess that it was implemented as such), but the games Where's My Perry and Cut the Rope have very obvious lag when compared to their Android and iOS counterparts.

However, games like Radiant Defense or Robotek have no such lag, so its very possible that its a software issue.

News Apps / Youtube / etc. are fine however. I just wish I could choose a browser other than IE
Old 26-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #585
High Supremacy Member

can this also install steam? And what does "slate" refer to?

Last edited by es0teric; 26-01-2013 at 03:24 PM..
es0teric is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.