Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #601
High Supremacy Member

Look like surface pro got alot of good review
SecretAgent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #602

The battery life seemed not so good from some reviews I read. One of the main reason I got the surface rt was the battery life, haha.
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #603
High Supremacy Member

Looks like the embargo on the reviews is over.

So who will be the first to get it here?
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #604
E_T
Master Member

Conflicted now... Lenovo Thinkpad 2 or Surface Pro.

So far haven't read any reviewer switch to Power Saving mode which limits Core i5-3317 to 800Mhz which is make it act like the new 7w SDP Ivy Bridge. Wonder if it'll give 1 extra hour of battery. At 800Mhz, it's still crazy fast!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #605
Master Member

will be totally sold if they lift the OS lock on Surface, same as other W8 laptop
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #606
Arch-Supremacy Member

sg stores if i may ask?
Not launched officially. Not worth paying a premium for it at local stores.
s7460597 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #607

will be totally sold if they lift the OS lock on Surface, same as other W8 laptop
According to an Q&A with Microsoft :

Q: On the Surface Pro, is the boot loader unlocked so I can load other operating systems?

A: "Like other Windows 8 machines, you can access BIOS settings and turn off secure boot, enabling you to load other OSes."

http://www.zdnet.com/why-did-microsoft-deliver-surface-rt-before-pro-and-other-pesky-questions-answered-7000010935/
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #608

Conflicted now... Lenovo Thinkpad 2 or Surface Pro.

So far haven't read any reviewer switch to Power Saving mode which limits Core i5-3317 to 800Mhz which is make it act like the new 7w SDP Ivy Bridge. Wonder if it'll give 1 extra hour of battery. At 800Mhz, it's still crazy fast!
Conflicted? Really? These are two totally different machines
Thinkpad 2 is small, light, long battery life, but Atom only...biggest drawback for me personally: no great keybard solution like the surface to use it for productivity.
Surface Pro is a full Laptop with loads performance, good keyboard, but bigger, heavier, shorter battery life.

For me the SurfaceRT is the perfect middle ground. Light and allows productivity.
For heavy duty and x86 I still have my Samsung7 Slate...over 1.5 years old, but not much behind a surface pro. Only missing the nifty keyboard solution...
I would have thought the SurfacePro with the new IvyBridge can pull much more battery life than the 7Slate (4hrs on average) but apparently that's not the case.

So I guess the real winner will be the next generation Atom with real firepower. Currently you always have to compromise on something unless you have a perfect fit for your personal use-case.
doctorweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #609

Conflicted? Really? These are two totally different machines
Thinkpad 2 is small, light, long battery life, but Atom only...biggest drawback for me personally: no great keybard solution like the surface to use it for productivity.
Surface Pro is a full Laptop with loads performance, good keyboard, but bigger, heavier, shorter battery life.

For me the SurfaceRT is the perfect middle ground. Light and allows productivity.
For heavy duty and x86 I still have my Samsung7 Slate...over 1.5 years old, but not much behind a surface pro. Only missing the nifty keyboard solution...
I would have thought the SurfacePro with the new IvyBridge can pull much more battery life than the 7Slate (4hrs on average) but apparently that's not the case.

So I guess the real winner will be the next generation Atom with real firepower. Currently you always have to compromise on something unless you have a perfect fit for your personal use-case.
I'd totally get a Surface Atom with active digitizing running W8.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #610
E_T
Master Member

Well guys, WinRT is no-go for me.

Lenovo Thinkpad 2 is VERY light & thin but can't handle FHD video. It's got great battery life at 8-10hrs but CPU power is not powerful enough for Visual Studio. It'll run all my Enterprise software but with some lag due to Java. Thinkpad 2 has a nice kb as well & Lenovo keyboards are always nice. Mobility is very important to me.

Surface Pro is heavier with much poorer battery life of between 3-5 hours. It's a Core i5-3317 which is not changeable unlike my current Fujitsu tablet PC. It can run Visual Studio but I'm using it less now. Mobility is more important for me but I'm addicted to speed.

My perfect tablet will be the Surface Pro with Core i5/i3 Haswell. Preferbly i3 which is still at least 2-3x Atom CPU power but with a TDP of 5-7w. That way the battery life can at least hit 5-7 hours assuming MS use the same H77 chipset. Hopefully, they'll use a more power-efficient chipset to stretch it a little bit more. Core i3 also need less cooling so the fan can be slower & use less battery as well.

Maybe I should just wait another year & hope my 5yo Fujitsu don't die on me.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #611

Pro version available on MS US website liao, who gg to get it first here? hehe. Very tempted potential customer here. Saw a local website posted on this thread sometime back that also offer the RT and pro version (when available). More worth to get from that website than from the US online website?
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #612

I also want a Pro with Type Cover. 64GB or 128GB doesn't matter. Who's getting?
Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #613
Master Member

I also want a Pro with Type Cover. 64GB or 128GB doesn't matter. Who's getting?
128gb sold out alr. 64gb is too small alr, left like about less than half after system installation of OS and programs
Red_Cheesepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #614
Master Member

Ordered 128GB Pro, confirmed. Its on the way
cost me around 1100 SGD.

great with my Surface RT..
LastBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #615

Only 1100sgd? The ms pro cost usd999, more than 1.1k SGD, how u get it? Sic leh hehe
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.