HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #631
E_T
Master Member

From all the reviews, seems that the battery life cant get past 4hrs. Battery life impt to me, looking at min 5hrs. So probably will wait and see the performance of new Intel Haswell, which means not getting it before Q3 this year.
Haswell will buy maybe 1 extra hour of battery.

The better way is to limit CPU speed to 50% which will give you more juice. Or do what I'm going to do, buy the Lenovo Thinkpad 2. That'll give you 8-10 hours.
Old 13-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #632

Thanks, but looking for higher performance, which in the real world, does not exist for want speed want performance haha. Looking to get a nexus 7 instead nw to use for a year while simultanteously depend on my dependable viao z older model (great laptop).
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #633
Honorary Member

what's the official date for surface pro in Singapore?
mocax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #634
E_T
Master Member

Thanks, but looking for higher performance, which in the real world, does not exist for want speed want performance haha. Looking to get a nexus 7 instead nw to use for a year while simultanteously depend on my dependable viao z older model (great laptop).
If MS comes out with a cover with battery, yes maybe. The best compromise is actually a Core i3. Not enuff for gaming but enuff for coding.
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #635
High Supremacy Member

This is a ultrabook

Do not treat it as a tablet
noobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #636
High Supremacy Member

This is a ultrabook

This is a Surface thread

Do not treat it as a Surface Pro ONLY thread
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #637
E_T
Master Member

This is a ultrabook

Well it's a tabook or ultratab or something. Actually, historically, this is called a Slate. Like the Fujitsu Slate.

I've always wanted one but there're just too many compromises that I stuck to a TabletPC.

I hope Surface Pro 2 will come with Haswell Core i3, NFC & 4G options like the Lenovo Thinkpad. The Haswell will have a much more powerful GPU as well compared to HD4000.
Old 14-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #638

Is it better to get the Type cover or the Touch cover?

Will the Touch be too 'soft' given its capacitive function, don't know if its better or can get used without a physical letter keys pad.
CherylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #639
Master Member

Is it better to get the Type cover or the Touch cover?

Will the Touch be too 'soft' given its capacitive function, don't know if its better or can get used without a physical letter keys pad.
Type type type type type type type....

Well I own the touch cover and I find it ... difficult to use for rapid typing. You can get used to it, but the lack of a tactile response makes it feel odd, especially when there is a certain pressure threshold before a keypress registers, unlike when typing on a capacitive screen.
masotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #640
Supremacy Member

Haswell will buy maybe 1 extra hour of battery.

The better way is to limit CPU speed to 50% which will give you more juice. Or do what I'm going to do, buy the Lenovo Thinkpad 2. That'll give you 8-10 hours.
Interesting isn't it... the Surface Pro and the Thinkpad 2 are full fledged tablets but the Thinkpad has double the battery life... they run the same OS... so what's the difference?
Teo Ming Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #641

Interesting isn't it... the Surface Pro and the Thinkpad 2 are full fledged tablets but the Thinkpad has double the battery life... they run the same OS... so what's the difference?
Cpu. i5 vs atom
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #642

Cpu. i5 vs atom
Then why not the samsung activ since it runs atom as well. does the lenovo tablet have full hd screen?
afoongwl215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #643

Hmmm guys if i buy from microsoft us web will there be any warranty in singapore
anything not buy locally do not have local warranty
from mouse to keyboard to computer

$(#&%*#%&*#

cuz i was trying to claim warranty for a mouse
Reborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #644

when does the surface pro will launch in singapore
core_sio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #645
E_T
Master Member

Then why not the samsung activ since it runs atom as well. does the lenovo tablet have full hd screen?
Samsung ATIV PC is plastic & doesn't feel as well-built as the Thinkpad 2.

I tried both during MS Windows 8 launch at the Esplanade.

From my memory, the ATIV PC has larger screen 12". Thinkpad 2 is 11" with aluminum chassis. Both same resolution.

The Thinkpad is also lighter but I think the ATIV PC has slightly better battery life due to a bigger battery. IIRC, the Thinkpad also have a SED SSD.
ashhong likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.