HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #661

did u use a courier service like comgateway, or u just str8 deliver to sg?
burntfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #662
Master Member

did u use a courier service like comgateway, or u just str8 deliver to sg?
Courier service. I've used it quite a number of times. Setting your billing address to the courier service's address and using an Amex card seems to bypass most of the restrictions on most websites.
burntfrog likes this.
masotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #663

which one did u use?
burntfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #664

It actually came on Tuesday, but I've been pretty busy so I didn't get to play much with it. The screen is much better than the Surface RT's.

Some pics (unfortunately my photography is pretty bad):

You'll notice the pen that magnetically attaches on the right:

Chrome on the Surface Pro. Most pages default to 100% scaling however, but 150% is generally more useable (top is 150%, bottom is 100%):

The type cover came in a separate package from the Pro itself:

cool... did you move the recovery to a thumbdrive to save space?

what make u buy type cover instead of touch cover?

i dun have amex card to buy sian
Reborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #665
E_T
Master Member

The Verge just did a review on the Thinkpad 2: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 review | The Verge
Yes, I've read it. The reviewer doesn't really know how to do a proper use case review. Technical review was reasonable.

The ThinkPad 2 is meant for business usage where the heaviest software is likely PowerPoint. Business users don't need Core i5/7. Core i3 would be nice but unnecessary.

Reviewer didn't mention the Stylus is Wacom type & ssd is self encrypting allowing salespeople to use it as a POS system + data can be stored without fear of data being stolen. Most important, the battery life is 8-10hrs which is great for mobile business users.

The reviewer also didn't mention if video output to FHD TV was reasonable or not. Based on experience, 720p video should be ok but 1080p may not play smoothly. So a presentation on a projector should run just fine.
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #666
Master Member

Your points are sound based upon the usage patterns you've described. I think the ThinkPad 2 is a good choice for your use case. I guess you've already purchased it?

Yes, I've read it. The reviewer doesn't really know how to do a proper use case review. Technical review was reasonable.

The ThinkPad 2 is meant for business usage where the heaviest software is likely PowerPoint. Business users don't need Core i5/7. Core i3 would be nice but unnecessary.

Reviewer didn't mention the Stylus is Wacom type & ssd is self encrypting allowing salespeople to use it as a POS system + data can be stored without fear of data being stolen. Most important, the battery life is 8-10hrs which is great for mobile business users.

The reviewer also didn't mention if video output to FHD TV was reasonable or not. Based on experience, 720p video should be ok but 1080p may not play smoothly. So a presentation on a projector should run just fine.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #667
Master Member

cool... did you move the recovery to a thumbdrive to save space?

what make u buy type cover instead of touch cover?

i dun have amex card to buy sian
Nope I haven't had a need for more space at the moment. I've tried the touch cover before, and it's difficult to get used to for typing... no tactile feel.

On the flip side though, the type cover is significantly thicker...
Old 22-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #668

Nope I haven't had a need for more space at the moment. I've tried the touch cover before, and it's difficult to get used to for typing... no tactile feel.

On the flip side though, the type cover is significantly thicker...
i see
but the surface pro already thick.. and u add type cover
it become thicker

can you use ur surface and play a continous video and see how long does it last?
Reborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #669
E_T
Master Member

Your points are sound based upon the usage patterns you've described. I think the ThinkPad 2 is a good choice for your use case. I guess you've already purchased it?
Yes, I've been analyzing the use case for Surface Pro & Thinkpad 2. I still prefer the Surface Pro for everything it can do but battery life isn't good enough especially since it's not user replaceable.

The reviewer was struggling to see why anyone would want a Atom power tablet.

No I haven't bought one. As a business user I need the assurance that is the machine breaks down, I have a warranty or a service center that can repair it. Tablets are still too new for Sim Lim Sq to repair properly I think.
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #670
Arch-Supremacy Member

It actually came on Tuesday, but I've been pretty busy so I didn't get to play much with it. The screen is much better than the Surface RT's.

Some pics (unfortunately my photography is pretty bad):

You'll notice the pen that magnetically attaches on the right:

Chrome on the Surface Pro. Most pages default to 100% scaling however, but 150% is generally more useable (top is 150%, bottom is 100%):

The type cover came in a separate package from the Pro itself:

thanks for sharing... so total price come up (+ shipping + GST) to how muchie SGD?
game goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #671
Master Member

For the record, I ordered a Surface Pro 128GB coupled with a Type Keyboard using my Amex card and without going into the details, the entire cost added up to SG$1530 - not a small price. Just a heads up for anyone else considering it.
. .
thanks for sharing... so total price come up (+ shipping + GST) to how muchie SGD?
Old 28-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #672
Arch-Supremacy Member

i saw the $1530... just wasn't sure whether it include shipping from us to singapore and singapore GST.
game goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #673
Master Member

i saw the $1530... just wasn't sure whether it include shipping from us to singapore and singapore GST.
Yup it is the total cost, everything all in. Your mileage may vary however, but it is a good ballpark figure.
Old 28-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #674

How to buy surface pro?
The microsoft store US is out of stock now...
sukhoi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #675
Master Member

How to buy surface pro?
The microsoft store US is out of stock now...
Hmmm... it's in very high demand unfortunately. If you really need it now you'll have to buy it off eBay at a premium, unless you know someone in the US would could help you check the local stores for one.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.