Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #796
Arch-Supremacy Member

I read very bad opinions about Surface RT online

Seems like the future of RT is bleak
Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #797

Personally I am quite happy with my Surface RT. I think whether you find the Surface RT useful will depend on your needs and if you have an existing tablet.
bchew28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #798
Master Member

Microsoft should have gone with a Qualcomm chip I think, rather than with nVidia's Tegra 3. Display-wise a 1080p screen like the Pro would have been good, along with support for a stylus.

I find the stylus an awkward device to clip onto the Surface Pro.... instead of doing it in the same style as the keyboard, a slot like how the Galaxy Note does it would have been a better approach I think.

For a pure tablet I still think the iPad gives the best experience, visually and form factor wise. You lose the customizability of an Android device, but that's rather subjective and for most people I think customizability is less critical.

This, of course, excludes the 7-8" market, where things are fuzzier and Apple's iPad mini doesn't really dominate as much as the full sized iPad.
masotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #799

Hi All,

I am currently thinking of getting the surface RT tablet for day to day use for work related purposes.

Any users here use this for work? Basically, i would need to use alot of MS office, just want to know how this compare to a true MS office on a desktop.

Is it safe to say that this actually acts like a laptop in certain ways? like able to use multi window, multi task and such. But unable to install programs.

As for the programs , i understand that there might be ways to work around them, the jailbreaks. Can anyone advise on the jailbreak also?

Overall, i just want to know how can this compare to a very normal laptop that we use for work related purpose.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers
The office included in RT is almost the same as those installed on a desktop. However, do note that due to the use of the tegra 3 processor, performance will not be as excellent compared to that of a i5 i7 desktop.

Opening and editing very big and complicated docs, there may be some issue of unresponsiveness, but otherwise, the tablet should be able to handle the average documents.

That said, due to the small screen size of the tablet, you may not be as productive compared to a 13.1" or 14" laptop.

p.s. I have owned the surface rt for around 4 months already and I really do love it. It does serve as a good companion device to my win8 desktop, but definitely not as a replacement for a workstation.
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #800
Master Member

Hey ppl, not sure if any one of you guys experience this. My Surface RT is showing the start screen with 4 rows of tiles, mimicking the full HD start screen on Surface Pro. Then awhile later, no more. why is this so? I think the 4 rows looks good! haha

Edit: Is a technical glitch with the touch cover, but still it is cool! haha no permanent solution to keep it 4 rows , just sharing haha

Last edited by Red_Cheesepie; 12-04-2013 at 12:13 AM..
Red_Cheesepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #801

Hey ppl, not sure if any one of you guys experience this. My Surface RT is showing the start screen with 4 rows of tiles, mimicking the full HD start screen on Surface Pro. Then awhile later, no more. why is this so? I think the 4 rows looks good! haha

Edit: Is a technical glitch with the touch cover, but still it is cool! haha no permanent solution to keep it 4 rows , just sharing haha
This happens if you turn on the power button with the touch or type cover closed. (Turn on as in turn on, not resume from standby)

A technical glitch like you said, haha. I actually find it quite small for my liking though.
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #802
Master Member

Yeah, yeah, android is the best. Android is not laggy, Android is so damn open, Android is free of security issues, Android is the best ecosystem with many blown up apps from phone.

Got it.

Its possible to have it permanently via Registry edit.

Enable:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling] "MonitorSize"=12.1"
Disable:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling] "MonitorSize"=11.1"
Save the following code as .reg file, then run it & restart your Surface

Microsoft should have gone with a Qualcomm chip I think, rather than with nVidia's Tegra 3. Display-wise a 1080p screen like the Pro would have been good, along with support for a stylus.

I find the stylus an awkward device to clip onto the Surface Pro.... instead of doing it in the same style as the keyboard, a slot like how the Galaxy Note does it would have been a better approach I think.

For a pure tablet I still think the iPad gives the best experience, visually and form factor wise. You lose the customizability of an Android device, but that's rather subjective and for most people I think customizability is less critical.

This, of course, excludes the 7-8" market, where things are fuzzier and Apple's iPad mini doesn't really dominate as much as the full sized iPad.
You can opt for Dell's RT tablet instead, if you want Qualcomm S4 Its pretty cheap, at around 350 USD for 64GB version without the keyboard.

As for customizability, I doubt the average consumer would even bother what the so-called "tech-pros" (Android fans) do like changing themes to make the entire OS look stupid. I've seen a lot of Android tablets looking like crap, and some even have Comic Sans font which makes things horrible to read at all.
However, if one really wants to customize it. Its not impossible on the RT.
Except for customizing the Metro UI home screen to what you want for now (colour and background is possible via settings/registry), everything else is possible on Surface RT.
It still features a full Windows 8 operating system, as long as the Win32 APIs are still here. It is possible to port any tweaks/customizing option to RT from W8 x86/x64.

Last edited by LastBattle; 12-04-2013 at 11:30 AM..
LastBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #803

I think the main problem of RT is that it shares the Windows name, and when people think of windows, they think of the full windows. And when you tell them you cannot install full windows apps, it just makes them hesitate, especially when you know there are alternatives that are also tablets that run full windows out there.

Even as a Mobile OS, what matters most is the availability of apps and it has a weaker library compared to Android/iOS.

But don't forget that its still very new compared to Android/iOS, the number of apps will grow, but it will take time. Microsoft Office is very well done on the RT, a pretty good example of the potential it holds.

In fact, i would say i prefer the Metro UI compared to iOS/Android, swiping to switch between apps, swiping down to end apps just feels more natural and intuitive to me. However it requires a bit of a learning curve, most would fall back straight into the familiar desktop mode, but the desktop mode is better used with a mouse and KB or at least a digitizer/active stylus.

Also, I really like the hardware for the Surface RT, the inbuilt kickstand and touch/type cover are incredibly convenient and light.

Last edited by kazxenon; 12-04-2013 at 12:10 PM..
kazxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #804
High Supremacy Member

Also, I really like the hardware for the Surface RT, the inbuilt kickstand and touch/type cover are incredibly convenient and light.
isn't the Asus RT better? lighter, same specs. only thing is no proper light keyboard cover. but for the tablet itself, i feel Asus RT is better to hold.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #805

isn't the Asus RT better? lighter, same specs. only thing is no proper light keyboard cover. but for the tablet itself, i feel Asus RT is better to hold.
I prefer the build quality of the Surface, the Asus Vivotab RT gives me a very plasticky feel. Of course the trade off is that the Vivotab RT is lighter in weight, which I believe feels better to hold for a longer time. But when you compare the tabs with their keyboards, the Surface is quite a bit thinner BUT the vivotab kb comes with battery too.

Don't forget the screen for the Vivotab RT is really good and brighter too, but I find it more reflective than the Surface though.

Spoiled for choices eh? So many on the market now
Old 12-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #806
Master Member

Microsoft did mentioned about a battery-equipped keyboard for Surface Pro/RT that's coming pretty soon..
LastBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #807
Arch-Supremacy Member

wah lao eh i not here to shoot microsoft and be a android fanboy leh!

i wanted to buy the Surface RT to play play
Because i tried it at challenger and it feels like a Windows OS laptop in a tablet form

but research further and read read online, seems like RT is not good/popular choice

Why Windows RT is hurtling toward disaster | PCWorld

Editorial: Windows RT is Microsoft's biggest mess - Neowin

How Microsoft Can Save Windows RT, Surface RT | CIO Blogs

Microsoft's ARM blunder: 7 reasons why Windows RT was DOA ? The Register

I thot it can be a "tablet that works like a PC" for my wifey
she's always surfing flash sites or some streaming video websites

some of these sites/videos doesn't play on her ipad/note2
onsormc likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #808

wah lao eh i not here to shoot microsoft and be a android fanboy leh!

i wanted to buy the Surface RT to play play
Because i tried it at challenger and it feels like a Windows OS laptop in a tablet form

but research further and read read online, seems like RT is not good/popular choice

Why Windows RT is hurtling toward disaster | PCWorld

Editorial: Windows RT is Microsoft's biggest mess - Neowin

How Microsoft Can Save Windows RT, Surface RT | CIO Blogs

Microsoft's ARM blunder: 7 reasons why Windows RT was DOA ? The Register

I thot it can be a "tablet that works like a PC" for my wifey
she's always surfing flash sites or some streaming video websites

some of these sites/videos doesn't play on her ipad/note2
Yep, RT doesnt stand by itself, its basically a hammered down windows that can only run ARM based apps, it wouldnt't really run close to a pc experience.

I would recommend your wife to stay off RT products though, IE for RT has limited flash support based on a white list, which means those lists that they whitelisted can activate flash. There's are some workaround it though.

I think your best bet would be a Atom based tablet, maybe a ME400C or a W510?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #809
E_T
Master Member

Win RT is MS insurance policy in case ARM becomes more popular than Intel. So now MS Windows can run on Arm-based & x86-based CPUs. The Store will fill up slowly but that's fine because most people will be using desktop software in the near-term anyway.

MS don't need RT to be an overnight success. They are securing the future for the next few years because as more apps become available for Metro/Modern, both Win8 & RT benefits. All these articles talking doom & gloom are just too early. Come back in 2 years then we talk...
echoblue likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #810

Yep, RT doesnt stand by itself, its basically a hammered down windows that can only run ARM based apps, it wouldnt't really run close to a pc experience.

I would recommend your wife to stay off RT products though, IE for RT has limited flash support based on a white list, which means those lists that they whitelisted can activate flash. There's are some workaround it though.

I think your best bet would be a Atom based tablet, maybe a ME400C or a W510?
I believe MS already lifted the limited flash support, My RT already received the second update (pertaining to FLASH) and thats suppose to remove the WHITELIST.
echoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.