HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #811

wah lao eh i not here to shoot microsoft and be a android fanboy leh!

i wanted to buy the Surface RT to play play
Because i tried it at challenger and it feels like a Windows OS laptop in a tablet form

but research further and read read online, seems like RT is not good/popular choice

Why Windows RT is hurtling toward disaster | PCWorld

Editorial: Windows RT is Microsoft's biggest mess - Neowin

How Microsoft Can Save Windows RT, Surface RT | CIO Blogs

Microsoft's ARM blunder: 7 reasons why Windows RT was DOA ? The Register

I thot it can be a "tablet that works like a PC" for my wifey
she's always surfing flash sites or some streaming video websites

some of these sites/videos doesn't play on her ipad/note2
Can you post some sites that can't play flash? I'll try it on my updated RT
echoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #812

How do you change the registry and I believe you can easily switch back from on and off right?

Yeah, yeah, android is the best. Android is not laggy, Android is so damn open, Android is free of security issues, Android is the best ecosystem with many blown up apps from phone.

Got it.

Its possible to have it permanently via Registry edit.

Enable:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling] "MonitorSize"=12.1"
Disable:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling] "MonitorSize"=11.1"
Save the following code as .reg file, then run it & restart your Surface

You can opt for Dell's RT tablet instead, if you want Qualcomm S4 Its pretty cheap, at around 350 USD for 64GB version without the keyboard.

As for customizability, I doubt the average consumer would even bother what the so-called "tech-pros" (Android fans) do like changing themes to make the entire OS look stupid. I've seen a lot of Android tablets looking like crap, and some even have Comic Sans font which makes things horrible to read at all.
However, if one really wants to customize it. Its not impossible on the RT.
Except for customizing the Metro UI home screen to what you want for now (colour and background is possible via settings/registry), everything else is possible on Surface RT.
It still features a full Windows 8 operating system, as long as the Win32 APIs are still here. It is possible to port any tweaks/customizing option to RT from W8 x86/x64.
echoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #813
High Supremacy Member

Yep, RT doesnt stand by itself, its basically a hammered down windows that can only run ARM based apps, it wouldnt't really run close to a pc experience.

I would recommend your wife to stay off RT products though, IE for RT has limited flash support based on a white list, which means those lists that they whitelisted can activate flash. There's are some workaround it though.

I think your best bet would be a Atom based tablet, maybe a ME400C or a W510?
i actually had the Asus RT, then went to Asus Atom and back to RT again.

Initially, i found the RT lacking in terms of installing apps from non-windows store. Got the Atom and while can install anything, the speed is rather slow, plus it's abit thicker and heavier. In the end, went back to RT cos i figured i could live without those non-windows store apps.

really can't say RT its a failure cos for most ppl, it's usable. i would advise skip the Atom and go for i5 cos the full windows os struggles on Atom. so its either Rt for light users, or i5 for those who must have the full features
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #814

I believe MS already lifted the limited flash support, My RT already received the second update (pertaining to FLASH) and thats suppose to remove the WHITELIST.
Nice to know that! Looks like its a viable choice now if you wanna use Flash

How is the performance for flash btw?

Initially, i found the RT lacking in terms of installing apps from non-windows store. Got the Atom and while can install anything, the speed is rather slow, plus it's abit thicker and heavier. In the end, went back to RT cos i figured i could live without those non-windows store apps.

really can't say RT its a failure cos for most ppl, it's usable. i would advise skip the Atom and go for i5 cos the full windows os struggles on Atom. so its either Rt for light users, or i5 for those who must have the full features
RT: Less apps, slimmest, good price point, good performance, good batt life

Atom: All windows applications, slim, good price point(certain models), slow performance, good batt life

Core i Series: All windows applications, thick, higher price point than atom, good performance, ok batt life.

I don't think that RT is a failure though, like i mentioned, the gestures and UI is one of the more logical and enjoyable ones i used. MS just need to push their marketing and double up their efforts to make more developers interested in the RT ecosystem. Its actually a OS with a lot of potential.
kazxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #815

Saw a female student in my LT who was using a surface Rt with blue touch cover, secretly smiling to myself as I took out my own surface

Last edited by lexmarq; 12-04-2013 at 06:33 PM..
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #816
Master Member

How do you change the registry and I believe you can easily switch back from on and off right?
Copy the code that I have posted > Open Notepad > Save it as .reg file > run it

Intel needs something in between That'll make it perfect for a real tablet-ultrabook combo.
Atom is too weak for the general task while 'I' series is too powerful and power hungry.

I might be selling my Pro soon.. Surface RT and a laptop is enough for now, waiting for the next version of Pro with better battery life on Intel Haswell

Last edited by LastBattle; 12-04-2013 at 07:02 PM..
LastBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #817

Anyone with windows 8 or RT can help me check the messaging app, I am having this problem right now -->

When I type something into the chat, the chat would repeat whatever I type.
For eg.
Me: Test
Me: Test (the 2nd test would be inserted by itself)
Me: Having this problem.
Me: Having this problem. (the 2nd "having this problem" would be inserted by itself)

This happens to me as well in the messaging bubble in Microsoft page like outlook, skydrive etc.

The person won't receive the double message, but it's irritating that the messages are repeated at your side. Anyone can help me check if they have the problem?

EDIT: The happens when I talked to someone who is online on FBchat in the messaging app.
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #818

does anyone here knows if sim lim square sells surface pro?
was thinking of getting a surface for my birthday and was wondering if singapore have any store that sells surface pro.
other than sim lim square, does any one know of any other place that sells the pro version?
lemon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #819
Master Member

Anyone with windows 8 or RT can help me check the messaging app, I am having this problem right now -->

When I type something into the chat, the chat would repeat whatever I type.
For eg.
Me: Test
Me: Test (the 2nd test would be inserted by itself)
Me: Having this problem.
Me: Having this problem. (the 2nd "having this problem" would be inserted by itself)

This happens to me as well in the messaging bubble in Microsoft page like outlook, skydrive etc.

The person won't receive the double message, but it's irritating that the messages are repeated at your side. Anyone can help me check if they have the problem?

EDIT: The happens when I talked to someone who is online on FBchat in the messaging app.
I got the same issue on my Surface, desktop & laptop too.
Old 13-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #820
High Supremacy Member

Copy the code that I have posted > Open Notepad > Save it as .reg file > run it

Intel needs something in between That'll make it perfect for a real tablet-ultrabook combo.
Atom is too weak for the general task while 'I' series is too powerful and power hungry.

I might be selling my Pro soon.. Surface RT and a laptop is enough for now, waiting for the next version of Pro with better battery life on Intel Haswell
Hmm...makes sense. Maybe i3?
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #821
Arch-Supremacy Member

I bought the 32GB Surface with touch cover bundle from Challenger. I have read a few months ago that some touch covers split due to the bending of the cover back while holding or something. I'm wondering if this issue is still occurring with the recent touch covers?
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #822
Master Member

I bought the 32GB Surface with touch cover bundle from Challenger. I have read a few months ago that some touch covers split due to the bending of the cover back while holding or something. I'm wondering if this issue is still occurring with the recent touch covers?
I got mine since December, and no signs of it spliting to date.
Not really a concern anyway.

wah lao eh i not here to shoot microsoft and be a android fanboy leh!

i wanted to buy the Surface RT to play play
Because i tried it at challenger and it feels like a Windows OS laptop in a tablet form

but research further and read read online, seems like RT is not good/popular choice

Why Windows RT is hurtling toward disaster | PCWorld

Editorial: Windows RT is Microsoft's biggest mess - Neowin

How Microsoft Can Save Windows RT, Surface RT | CIO Blogs

Microsoft's ARM blunder: 7 reasons why Windows RT was DOA ? The Register

I thot it can be a "tablet that works like a PC" for my wifey
she's always surfing flash sites or some streaming video websites

some of these sites/videos doesn't play on her ipad/note2
Honestly, I'm sick of those unprofessional and unfair reviews/ANAL-yst. They are just bashing/ writing anything negative for the sake of getting more attention. They don't care about the truth, and don't see the need to verify facts or just plain stupid.
Just look at the recent IDC press release on the steepest decline in PC shipments. So many facts were left out. The fact that no ultrabook, no tablet based W8 PCs were included in their report; the fact that they blame it entirely on Windows 8 & Microsoft when Mac is suffering it far worst.

Yes I'm a MS fan, I admit. And I do have Asus Transformer, Galaxy S2, iPad 3, Lumia 800/900/920 myself.
===

Try it out yourself and tell me what you think later. Don't simply look at the bad side of it, or what others say, what you hear.

>> If you just read those articles carefully, don't they apply to Android tablets and iPad too? Did anyone say the iPad or Android 3 (tablet) is a disaster, DOA when its out?

-iPad/Android doesn't even have desktop apps for you to multi task on
-You can multi task with snap mode on Windows 8 while its impossible on Android (I know its on galaxy, but none of the apps are optimized)/iPad
-iPad/Android don't have MS Office
-Android apps are pretty much 90% scaled up phone apps, makes no difference to have a tablet to a phone (The same app on Android tablet and Windows 8 is a huge difference apart)
-iPad/Android are never build as a 'productivity' PC like Windows, but rather an entertainment device
-To date there's 60,000 Windows Store apps & its only 6 months. Give it a year and it can well overtake Android tablet that's more suitable for 7 inch market at the current path its going
-You can play any flash content on IE10 (there's no flash on iPad and limited support on Android)

On the other hand, a jailbroken Surface RT can actually run ANY Win32 apps as long as its recompiled by the developer. The potential of RT is just up to Microsoft, if they want to open it up or not. I really hope they do, once the Windows Store reached a certain level such that app count won't matter much already.
I'm waiting to see what Microsoft have to offer on Windows Blue update, if they are able to merge both Windows Phone 8 & Windows 8 app store into one mega ecosystem.

Last edited by LastBattle; 14-04-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Old 14-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #823

can run matlab or vba on rt?
SVG84R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #824

I got mine since December, and no signs of it spliting to date.
Not really a concern anyway.

Honestly, I'm sick of those unprofessional and unfair reviews/ANAL-yst. They are just bashing/ writing anything negative for the sake of getting more attention. They don't care about the truth, and don't see the need to verify facts or just plain stupid.
Just look at the recent IDC press release on the steepest decline in PC shipments. So many facts were left out. The fact that no ultrabook, no tablet based W8 PCs were included in their report; the fact that they blame it entirely on Windows 8 & Microsoft when Mac is suffering it far worst.

Yes I'm a MS fan, I admit. And I do have Asus Transformer, Galaxy S2, iPad 3, Lumia 800/900/920 myself.
===

Try it out yourself and tell me what you think later. Don't simply look at the bad side of it, or what others say, what you hear.

>> If you just read those articles carefully, don't they apply to Android tablets and iPad too? Did anyone say the iPad or Android 3 (tablet) is a disaster, DOA when its out?

-iPad/Android doesn't even have desktop apps for you to multi task on
-You can multi task with snap mode on Windows 8 while its impossible on Android (I know its on galaxy, but none of the apps are optimized)/iPad
-iPad/Android don't have MS Office
-Android apps are pretty much 90% scaled up phone apps, makes no difference to have a tablet to a phone (The same app on Android tablet and Windows 8 is a huge difference apart)
-iPad/Android are never build as a 'productivity' PC like Windows, but rather an entertainment device
-To date there's 60,000 Windows Store apps & its only 6 months. Give it a year and it can well overtake Android tablet that's more suitable for 7 inch market at the current path its going
-You can play any flash content on IE10 (there's no flash on iPad and limited support on Android)

android does have other office app though, still quite usuable. And the pdf supports highlighting, textbox, sticky note etc. Does RT have?(I asking a real qn as I not very sure. Windows 8 phone does not have a pdf that can put sticky note or highlight)

Android plays most flash content.

At the end of the day, RT is good as long as you are not a computing professional
SINple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #825
E_T
Master Member

I've not tried the Asus Vivotab (Atom) but HP Envy X2 (Atom) is quite fast. Lenovo Thinkpad 2 (Pre-production unit at Win8 launch) was ok if you're mostly doing office work so I think dual-core Atom is good enough for most people.

As for Haswell, you can actually get Haswell power performance now by switching to Power Saving mode with 50% CPU speed, that'll give you a TDP of about 10W which will buy you a bit of battery life.

Core i3 uses about 12W. The Southbridge or ICH chipset uses another 4-5W. Atom SoC only use like 7W total... about the same as a quad-core ARM-based SoC.

I would love an Atom-based Surface.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.