Microsoft Surface

tohchr

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. so does it means i can request for dual sim, and use one of my sim card for the mifi device?

Yes correct. However, take note that only the "Master" SIM can receive incoming calls and SMS. However, both SIM can make outgoing calls and SMS. Both SIM share the same amount of Data usage, do not think u got 2 sim, u got 2 x 2gb.. :s13:

PS: U can switch whichever SIM to be the master anytime by punching in a code. Get that code from your telco.

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Yes correct. However, take note that only the "Master" SIM can receive incoming calls and SMS. However, both SIM can make outgoing calls and SMS. Both SIM share the same amount of Data usage, do not think u got 2 sim, u got 2 x 2gb.. :s13:

PS: U can switch whichever SIM to be the master anytime by punching in a code. Get that code from your telco.

moi gotch 4GB:D

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
And the battery life doesn't deplete in any way as scarily as does a phone with its display turned on for the same period of time.

Hmmm... my personal experience when using my iPhone 5 as a bluetooth hotspot to my iPad mini WiFi, the drain, while definitely not as significant as leaving the screen on, is still sufficiently significant enough for me that I bring around a portable battery just to ensure it doesn't drain too quickly.

ArleFK

Reaction score
MiFi is basically a Mobile Hotspot. The newer ones have 4G while the older ones are 3G HSPA only.

4G ones are coming out, Huawei have a few but quite exp. I have one 3g huawei one, using it close to a year without much issue. Got it from one of the bros selling it in the marketplace.

Definitely better than using hotspot.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Lucky I sold mine half year ago. 4G come out, 3G price sure drop. Now using my Lumia 800 as hotspot. :D If I need 4G, I use my Lumia 920.

My main issue with Public WiFi hotspot is security. It's so easy to packet-sniff WiFi packets it's ridiculous, especially those without security. Then there's also the spoofed Public WiFi which may be capturing your data as you're accessing your banking site.

Or your email, many email servers still use plaintext userid & password... No way I'm going to use Public hotspot for anything that touches my digital identity!

Private MiFi is more secure even though WPA2 has been cracked.

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Lucky I sold mine half year ago. 4G come out, 3G price sure drop. Now using my Lumia 800 as hotspot. :D If I need 4G, I use my Lumia 920.

My main issue with Public WiFi hotspot is security. It's so easy to packet-sniff WiFi packets it's ridiculous, especially those without security. Then there's also the spoofed Public WiFi which may be capturing your data as you're accessing your banking site.

Or your email, many email servers still use plaintext userid & password... No way I'm going to use Public hotspot for anything that touches my digital identity!

Private MiFi is more secure even though WPA2 has been cracked.

but won't using phone as hotspot depletes the battery VERY VERY fast?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Depends on the platform. The MiFi I had was a Huawei one with 1500mAh battery. It also seem to be running some flavor of mobile Linux. Very powerful with web-server, firewall/NAT/routing, etc. With 1 connection, it can last 3.5 hours. With more connections, it can drop to 2 hours.

On my Lumia 800 (when I'm not actively using, screen off + battery saver mode on), it can last around 5 hours with its 1450mAh on 1 connection. But it's a basic hotspot, nothing more.

If you're not using the phone while hotspot is on, I guess battery draw is not that bad but that's my experience on WP7.8. Haven't tried on WP8, iOS or Android 4.2.

Although I heard an iPad 3 (3G) can tahan 15-20 hours as a dedicated hotspot using iOS5.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Depends on the platform. The MiFi I had was a Huawei one with 1500mAh battery. It also seem to be running some flavor of mobile Linux. Very powerful with web-server, firewall/NAT/routing, etc. With 1 connection, it can last 3.5 hours. With more connections, it can drop to 2 hours.

On my Lumia 800 (when I'm not actively using, screen off + battery saver mode on), it can last around 5 hours with its 1450mAh on 1 connection. But it's a basic hotspot, nothing more.

If you're not using the phone while hotspot is on, I guess battery draw is not that bad but that's my experience on WP7.8. Haven't tried on WP8, iOS or Android 4.2.

Although I heard an iPad 3 (3G) can tahan 15-20 hours as a dedicated hotspot using iOS5.

iPad last that long because its actively kicking any inactive connections from it. In places where there's weak reception, the iPad simply refuse to connect to server to avoid excessive power consumption.

I have an iPad mini and on a regular usage, it can be up for more than 5 hours here :)

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
No lah, iPad can last so long because it's got a HUGE A** battery inside! :D

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All i know so far is only NYP released news, managed to order a set with one person, will see how soon it arrives. Surface rt @ $300 is a pretty good deal imho

$300 sing for the surface rt? Does any one know if the nyp promo still on? From nyp if got tomorrow I go hoot...

Last edited:

jlhc87

Reaction score
Anyone know if Singapore has a service center? I bought my Surface RT from US but warranty should apply internationally.

Mr_Browneyes

Reaction score
Went to challenger to ask bout the 256gb version of the surface pro....the salesman obviously doenst know his products....gave me that sotong look n had to go n read the info beside the surface pro display to proudly tell me that it only comes in 128gb....like DUH! Guess i hv to get mine overseas....:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.