HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #76
Master Member

MS Surface will fail or at best turn in a mediocre performance.

A tablet is a tablet and a notebook is a notebook. Not much point making a two in 1 and expect a lot of people to buy.

Its like the galaxy note. Fairly decent sales but sales still lose to SGS3 phone and galaxy tab. If people (retailers or corporate companies) wants a tablet, the first thing they think of is ipad. If they want a notebook, the first thing they think of is macbook pro or budget type like hp, acer...
i see it more as a ultrabook with touchscreen... my gut feel is that this will be the defacto standard for notebooks in 2-3 years time. imagine a powerful productivity notebook 1cm thick and 700g light. if Apple has no plans to combine the iOS with the MacOS in the near future, then I think they'll eventually return to their niche market days...
Old 20-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #77
Arch-Supremacy Member

The issue now is that tablets come along because they are low in consumption and people want the portability... that was what laptops have been missing and basically MS has kind of dropped the ball of that one cos they were so intent on protecting their desktop business... but Apple changed the game with their MBA and iPad... and now if MS were to really throw all they have into the game to produce a high powered laptop with lowest possible power consumption with the ease of a high quality touch screen, I can really see Apple return to the days of old... cos at the enterprise level, MS rules... and there is a trickle down effect to the masses cos dad's going to buy what he knows from work... that is a MS tablet or laptop that doubles as a tablet... and if this Surface can function with a full OS, then it will just take the enterprise world by storm... just imagine you're a business person travelling a lot, wouldn't you like to work on the plane at 12 hours a stretch without having to charge? Without a lap warmer on you? And with a full suite of connectivity? Basically with the form factor and battery life (unknown as of now), the office becomes portable... much more portable than say a laptop cos of the higher weight and chunky charger...
Teo Ming Ern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #78

dont dismiss it as a failure because of its size and its inbetween. When ipad first came out, everyone laughed at it, wondering how it will succeed. Now look at it.
soupgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #79
Master Member

The issue now is that tablets come along because they are low in consumption and people want the portability... that was what laptops have been missing and basically MS has kind of dropped the ball of that one cos they were so intent on protecting their desktop business... but Apple changed the game with their MBA and iPad... and now if MS were to really throw all they have into the game to produce a high powered laptop with lowest possible power consumption with the ease of a high quality touch screen, I can really see Apple return to the days of old... cos at the enterprise level, MS rules... and there is a trickle down effect to the masses cos dad's going to buy what he knows from work... that is a MS tablet or laptop that doubles as a tablet... and if this Surface can function with a full OS, then it will just take the enterprise world by storm... just imagine you're a business person travelling a lot, wouldn't you like to work on the plane at 12 hours a stretch without having to charge? Without a lap warmer on you? And with a full suite of connectivity? Basically with the form factor and battery life (unknown as of now), the office becomes portable... much more portable than say a laptop cos of the higher weight and chunky charger...
yup... and another thing to add. Nothing comes close to MS Office. Once Microsoft "mobilises" their Office suite, I think it'll be game over for their competitors.
Old 22-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #80
E_T
Master Member

The iPad will not go away immediately because at this point, Win RT is unproven.

I think what may happen is Win8 tablets will stop iPad's marketshare from going up further. If Win RT is successful, it'll be iPad & WinRT tablets dominating the market & Android tablets covering the bargain/entry-level with little profit.
Old 22-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #81

Can they make up their bloody mind! What exactly is MS Surface?! That table thingy you see in Running Man Episode 106 is MS Surface then they name their Win8 tablet Surface... what exactly is Surface...
OnLyOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #82
High Supremacy Member

Can they make up their bloody mind! What exactly is MS Surface?! That table thingy you see in Running Man Episode 106 is MS Surface then they name their Win8 tablet Surface... what exactly is Surface...
they rename the table to something else liao
the tablet is now surface.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #83

they rename the table to something else liao
the tablet is now surface.
What is it called now btw?

Edit--
Googled... It's now called PixelSense

Last edited by OnLyOnE; 22-08-2012 at 05:18 PM..
OnLyOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #84

Pricing revealed:

Microsoft Surface RT priced at $499 without Touch Cover, $599 with | The Verge

IMO retardedly priced.
Old 16-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #85

I think it's OK. Microsoft doesn't want to harm the partnerships it has with the various OEMs.
dongdong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #86

Pricing revealed:

Microsoft Surface RT priced at $499 without Touch Cover, $599 with | The Verge

IMO retardedly priced.
now i can't imagine the pricing for Pro.

I think it's OK. Microsoft doesn't want to harm the partnerships it has with the various OEMs.
can't say much about RT since i am not really interested. only interested in Pro, there won't be much harm for the OEM. for x64, OEM doesn't really have a second choice of OS, they can only go with Windows or Linux in which Linux won't generate sale from the general consumers.
ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #87

can't say much about RT since i am not really interested. only interested in Pro, there won't be much harm for the OEM. for x64, OEM doesn't really have a second choice of OS, they can only go with Windows or Linux in which Linux won't generate sale from the general consumers.
Actually, when MS decides to produce their own tablet, several OEMs have complained (Acer, HP, Dell, etc). These few OEMs are big players where x86/x64 OS are concerned.

The pricing is the one critical deciding factor whether they would abandon MS.

Therefore, the pricing of RT will be a gauge of the Pro's pricing and the OEMs' next step. If RT pricing is very attractive, Pro's pricing is unlikely to be unattractive, and they may consider moving to other OSes.

At this stage, Microsoft cannot afford to lose partnerships. Windows 8 has lots of detractors.

As you state, Linux generally won't generate sales. Them moving to Linux is probably not financially wise. But staying with MS is also not wise either, as Microsoft is now competing with them.
Old 16-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #88
Honorary Member

Can explain who are these OEM you are referring to? In what way is ms competing with them?
Old 16-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #89

Those who make PCs. HP, Acer, Dell, etc.

MS is competing them because they are now coming up and marketing their own products, which have traditionally been done by them.
Old 17-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #90
Master Member

been looking at the specs page, but still dun quite understand, so a few noob questions...

1. Surface Pro besides being able to run MSOffice, can it run 3rd-party software?
--- They said "can run all of the applications that you’ve used on previous version of Windows", bt i dunnoe if their applications refer to software programmes?
--- I am referring to software like programming software R, SPSS etc.

2. Their 64/128gb is ssd? or flash memory?

actually i want sth like ultrabook X tablet, so dunnoe if Surface Pro is one or not =/
XasakuraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.