Microsoft Surface

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SHOULD I BUY 64 GB AND AN SD CARD OR 128 GB. OR VIVOTAB SMART.

the atom z2670 like too slow...

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
If you're not doing anything heavy duty like open big MS Office files, than Atom is ok. Email/Surf web/watch online video are all ok.

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you're not doing anything heavy duty like open big MS Office files, than Atom is ok. Email/Surf web/watch online video are all ok.

:( But surface pro so much more :D:D:D

Can game too haha. 500 more for the powerful surface pro over th vivotab...

Coming from 2010 macbook air... The atom cpu doesnt seems fast enough to justify a purchase.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
If u come from MBA, then don't bother with ATOM coz that's not the only thing slow. The HDD is eMMC, not SSD. So moving big files is also damn slow.

Surface is full spec Core i5 with a fast SSD with built-in encryption & TPM security.

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But it stills does moffice, torrent, watch video not necessarily 1080p some more... ITunes all comfortably what... Also where do you find the information about the emmc? I Google quite extensively can't find information about vivotab being emmc drive...

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS VivoTab - Tablets & Mobile - ASUS

All ATOM-based Win 8 tablets use eMMC.

If you open a large excel file, 2GB is not gonna hack it. If you torrent, the eMMC will also slow down coz not enough RAM, so have to use Pagefile, which slows things down some more.

For simple single tasks, no problem. But once you need to multitask or do anything serious like Macros or large calculations in Excel, ATOM + 2GB RAM + eMMC sure can't tahan the load.

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you open a large excel file, 2GB is not gonna hack it. If you torrent, the eMMC will also slow down coz not enough RAM, so have to use Pagefile, which slows things down some more.

For simple single tasks, no problem. But once you need to multitask or do anything serious like Macros or large calculations in Excel, ATOM + 2GB RAM + eMMC sure can't tahan the load.

Thanks for this information... Did not come across until this video Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Review - YouTube... This information changes quite a lot of things haha ... :s13: Thanks again...

Will focus on either surface or back to mba i guess.

soupgoblin

Reaction score
Might let go of my set at cost price if there are people interested. Got charged 420 for touch keyboard tgt with 32gb rt cos the other MO collapsed and failed to order cos apparently too many orders, they denied it T.T What a waste sia.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this information... Did not come across until this video Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Review - YouTube... This information changes quite a lot of things haha ... :s13: Thanks again...

Will focus on either surface or back to mba i guess.

I'm thinking of buying the Thinkpad 2 for work & Metro only but MS go & dropped the price of Surface Pro. Now can't decide between Thinkpad 2 or Surface Pro. That 10hr battery + Wacom stylus is worth the price...

Or maybe I should upgrade my Fujitsu tablet 1 last time and wait for next-gen Haswell based tablets... decisions. :(

dlrowehtleah

Reaction score

i don't know about Atom n eMMC but 2GB ram is definitely more than enough 2 deal with Excel macro on a XP PC for general users. RAM is not a issue.

while i rarely work with macro, i used Excel pivot table extensively and my typical data file sizes are 60MB ~ 120MB. my 2GB ram n old PC handed them effortlessly.

in my office, there are Excel pgms that file sizes range from 1 - 4GB!! so obviously these will not run on a pathetic 2GB ram PC but i'm certain that d surface pro will be equally miserable in dis aspect too. ;)

arcanehacker

Banned
Reaction score
i don't know about Atom n eMMC but 2GB ram is definitely more than enough 2 deal with Excel macro on a XP PC for general users. RAM is not a issue.

while i rarely work with macro, i used Excel pivot table extensively and my typical data file sizes are 60MB ~ 120MB. my 2GB ram n old PC handed them effortlessly.

in my office, there are Excel pgms that file sizes range from 1 - 4GB!! so obviously these will not run on a pathetic 2GB ram PC but i'm certain that d surface pro will be equally miserable in dis aspect too. ;)

Off topic but Excel files that big is just a corrupt waiting to happen..

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

A Core i5 CPU has 6-8x more L2 cache than Atom dual-core. This speeds up integer & floating point calculations especially for large Excel with many inter-dependencies. The situation is worse for Macros because the VBA in Excel is not optimized to byte-code so scripting speed is already slow on Core i5. On Atom, you can almost see individual steps being executed.

eMMC has good random read speed but very poor peak transfer speed so reading & writing large files is horribly slow. It's even slower than WD Black with 7200RPM laptop HDD.

Agree that 2GB is enough most of the time unless you have really large files but this means you can't multi-task. Surface Pro gives much higher head-room with 4GB.

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
just curious, those using type cover, you cover the tablet with the type cover, will the type cover keys scratch the screen?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
just curious, those using type cover, you cover the tablet with the type cover, will the type cover keys scratch the screen?

By right no. BUT if any sand particles get onto the keyboard, the sand CAN scratch the Gorilla 2 glass.

knave

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the Thinkpad 2 for work & Metro only but MS go & dropped the price of Surface Pro. Now can't decide between Thinkpad 2 or Surface Pro. That 10hr battery + Wacom stylus is worth the price...

Or maybe I should upgrade my Fujitsu tablet 1 last time and wait for next-gen Haswell based tablets... decisions. :(

was there a price reduction for Surface Pro? I tot its only for the RT.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Pro no price drop ah? I thot got... nevermind then. Will stare at the Thinkpad 2 & wait for Lenovo to drop price... :D

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to challenger to ask bout the 256gb version of the surface pro....the salesman obviously doenst know his products....gave me that sotong look n had to go n read the info beside the surface pro display to proudly tell me that it only comes in 128gb....like DUH! Guess i hv to get mine overseas....:D

singapore got 256gb surface pro meh??? i think only japan got. or did they release some recent news that i missed out?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.