HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #1021

Hi, has anyone encountered the problem of electric shock when touching the side of Surface Pro during charging?
I got it before on my Surface RT, but that's my fingers is touching the tablet and elbow touching a metal surface.
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #1022
Master Member

Hi, has anyone encountered the problem of electric shock when touching the side of Surface Pro during charging?
Its fine if your fingers are touching it.
However once any part of your tiny hairs interacts with the surface, you will get them..

I have that annoying issue on both Surface RT and Surface Pro
LastBattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #1023

Its fine if your fingers are touching it.
However once any part of your tiny hairs interacts with the surface, you will get them..

I have that annoying issue on both Surface RT and Surface Pro
I have the same problem. I thought I was the only one since I got my unit exchanged but still having the same problem.

Last edited by chinhau5; 10-06-2013 at 04:16 PM..
chinhau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #1024
Master Member

I have the same problem. I thought I was the only one since I got my unit exchanged but still having the same problem.
It seems to be affecting every unit with SG/UK based 3 pin plug but not the US 2 pin one.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #1025
Supremacy Member

It seems to be affecting every unit with SG/UK based 3 pin plug but not the US 2 pin one.
That's strange cos the US pin does not have the earth pin. But I think it's the issue with the earthing circuitry not done properly inside coupled with a metal case. Same problem do almost all China tablets that are made of metal cases. IMO plastic is better.
Teo Ming Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #1026

I'm using the US 2 pin plug for my surface RT and I also get the electric shock, haha.
lexmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #1027
Master Member

I'm using the US 2 pin plug for my surface RT and I also get the electric shock, haha.
I saw a post somewhere at Twitter before, that the new plug for US variant have the issue fixed. Can't seems to find it now..

Surface Pro owners report shocks while charging | Microsoft | Geek.com
Microsoft Surface RT Tingle sensation | Annoying stuff I figured out (or am trying to)
Getting shocked by Surface : Surface

Microsoft does replace the entire set, no matter where you are from. But given that most of them are affected, it doesn't make sense to do so

That's strange cos the US pin does not have the earth pin. But I think it's the issue with the earthing circuitry not done properly inside coupled with a metal case. Same problem do almost all China tablets that are made of metal cases. IMO plastic is better.
Yeah... given that the connector to Surface does touch its metal cover.
I don't agree to plastic being better however... it feels premium like the iPad Mini.
Devices like Galaxy Note is although light but it just feels garbage & cheap to me.

Last edited by LastBattle; 10-06-2013 at 08:20 PM..
Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #1028

I wonder if there's any health hazard due to prolonged exposure to this kind of shock.
chinhau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #1029
Arch-Supremacy Member

finally took the plunge and hoot 1 set yesterday...
look at many places, challenger, harvey norman (almost all no free gift) and finally newstead at funan still got the mifi as free gift.
chin likes this.
game goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #1030
Arch-Supremacy Member

what did u guys use as a carrier/bag? the incipo bag is just nice, but i need something bigger, so that can keep the charger + mouse + pen.
n u guys use any screen protector?
game goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #1031
Master Member

what did u guys use as a carrier/bag? the incipo bag is just nice, but i need something bigger, so that can keep the charger + mouse + pen.
n u guys use any screen protector?
I'm still hunting for a messenger bag.. I plan to put my surface pro, charger, mouse, hdd, mifi, thumbdrive and preferably able to put my speaker in. Im using matt screen protector, why... becos previously I'm using all matt screen notebooks and I just love the anti glare haha

I'm currently using a case for macbook air.. looks and functions great but I need smth that i can sling on..
Red_Cheesepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #1032
E_T
Master Member

I wonder if there's any health hazard due to prolonged exposure to this kind of shock.
LOL, the reason is because your body picks up electrical charges as you go about your business. When you touch a grounded metal surface like the Surface connected to grounded charging adaptor, the charge will leak to the ground. If the voltage is high enough, an electric arc form near your skin & the metal surface and you feel the "shock".

To solve this, disconnect the ground. If you get shock even when using a 2-pin socket, the charge is coming from somewhere else.

And there's no health risk lah. Your body is itself generating a lot of electrical power...

Last edited by E_T; 11-06-2013 at 01:33 PM..
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #1033
Arch-Supremacy Member

can anyone clarify the battery life on the surfaces?

want to hear from someone who has actually used it.
roflolmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #1034
Master Member

can anyone clarify the battery life on the surfaces?

want to hear from someone who has actually used it.
aiyo... why so many of this battery life of surface thingy haha.. mine can last 4 hours minimum.. 5 to 6 hours normal usage not a problem for me..
Red_Cheesepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #1035
Master Member

aiyo... why so many of this battery life of surface thingy haha.. mine can last 4 hours minimum.. 5 to 6 hours normal usage not a problem for me..
I wonder how much juice can one squeeze out of it if you throttle to 40% of max cpu
knave is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.