HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #91

Surface Pro is your Windows PC/laptop/ultrabook --> This one can run whatever you used to run on Windows. There shouldn't be any issue running the programming software, except that it's not going to be user-friendly.

Surface RT is like the bigger version of Windows Phone --> Apps from Marketplace or wherever you find them.
dongdong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #92
High Supremacy Member

Given that the Surface RT is basically something akin to high end Android tablets or iPads, the pricing really that surprising meh? Or are people getting disappointed over nothing? At the end of the day, the most important thing is how much of Windows 8 functionality is shafted from W8 RT.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #93

Pricing revealed:

Microsoft Surface RT priced at $499 without Touch Cover, $599 with | The Verge

IMO retardedly priced.
Is that any more or less retarded than Apple's iPad pricing?

USD499 gets either Surface 32Gb or iPad 16Gb
USD599 gets either surface 32Gb w/touch type cover or iPad 32Gb
USD699 gets either Surface 64Gb w/touch type cover or iPad 64GB.

I think the Surface is quite favourable in pricing compared to the iPad at least.
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #94
Supremacy Member

comparing surface rt to other oems' rt tablets.
it is cheaper.
gibson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #95

Is that any more or less retarded than Apple's iPad pricing?

USD499 gets either Surface 32Gb or iPad 16Gb
USD599 gets either surface 32Gb w/touch type cover or iPad 32Gb
USD699 gets either Surface 64Gb w/touch type cover or iPad 64GB.

I think the Surface is quite favourable in pricing compared to the iPad at least.
Yea, but everybody knows iPads and Apple products in general are overpriced.

Admittedly, my assessment yesterday was a little short sighted. I read a few articles and commentaries and revised to think it's not that unreasonably priced.

If I have to choose between a 16GB iPad 3, 32GB iPad 2 and 32GB Surface RT, I'd easily pick the Surface - more memory with expandable memory, USB, kickstand, 16:9, comparable resolution (to the iPad 2).

I would definitely hold out for the Pro version, though. I hope it costs less than a MBA 11" i5.

Last edited by LouisLoh; 17-10-2012 at 01:58 PM..
LouisLoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #96

Yea, but everybody knows iPads and Apple products in general are overpriced.

Admittedly, my assessment yesterday was a little short sighted. I read a few articles and commentaries and revised to think it's not that unreasonably priced.

If I have to choose between a 16GB iPad 3, 32GB iPad 2 and 32GB Surface RT, I'd easily pick the Surface - more memory with expandable memory, USB, kickstand, 16:9, comparable resolution (to the iPad 2).

I would definitely hold out for the Pro version, though. I hope it costs less than a MBA 11" i5.
expandable memory?? do you mean disk space or ram? this information was released?

edit: saw the disk space expandable with card...

Last edited by fantasy87; 17-10-2012 at 02:28 PM..
fantasy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #97
E_T
Master Member

There shouldn't be any issue running the programming software, except that it's not going to be user-friendly.
User friendliness these days = familiarity with that interface. Win 7 is as user friendly as OSX. Many detractors are complaining not because Metro is not user friendly, rather they're not familiar with it.

I've been using Win8 on a TabletPC on regular keyboard & Trackpad for 4 months. Now that I've installed back my Win7 SSD to get ready for Win8 launch, I find the Start Menu so lame.

expandable memory?? do you mean disk space or ram? this information was released?

The Surface will be not upgradeable because everything is soldered on. At least, that's what I can tell from their animation.

now i can't imagine the pricing for Pro.

can't say much about RT since i am not really interested. only interested in Pro, there won't be much harm for the OEM. for x64, OEM doesn't really have a second choice of OS, they can only go with Windows or Linux in which Linux won't generate sale from the general consumers.
Expect Surface Pro 64GB to be USD1000-1200 with Touch Cover. Add USD200 for 128GB version + USD35 for Video-out since most TV don't have DisplayPort.
Old 17-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #98

There is microSDXC card slot for both RT and Pro version
Surface specifications
outrun100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #99

There is microSDXC card slot for both RT and Pro version
Surface specifications
yeah saw that...
now left ram and batt life to consider...
Old 17-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #100
Master Member

Surface Pro is your Windows PC/laptop/ultrabook --> This one can run whatever you used to run on Windows. There shouldn't be any issue running the programming software, except that it's not going to be user-friendly.

Surface RT is like the bigger version of Windows Phone --> Apps from Marketplace or wherever you find them.
thanks! if using w e keyboard, i think shld be ok.

yeah saw that...
now left ram and batt life to consider...
Pro gt 4gb RAM.

bt if Pro gonna be priced so high, then i guess might be better to get ultrabook instead. =(
XasakuraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #101

4GB RAM for pro version should be enough but i dun think its upgradable. Too bad no release date for Singapore.
outrun100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #102

thanks! if using w e keyboard, i think shld be ok.

Pro gt 4gb RAM.

bt if Pro gonna be priced so high, then i guess might be better to get ultrabook instead. =(
4GB RAM for pro version should be enough but i dun think its upgradable. Too bad no release date for Singapore.
of course 4gb is enough... but some win 8 tablet nw comes with 2gb onli... so that is a concern...
actually pro itself is basically an ultra book... u just pay for the newer stuff and toys...
just that i have no idea why the pro version can only come 3 months later
Old 17-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #103

Actually, when MS decides to produce their own tablet, several OEMs have complained (Acer, HP, Dell, etc). These few OEMs are big players where x86/x64 OS are concerned.

The pricing is the one critical deciding factor whether they would abandon MS.

Therefore, the pricing of RT will be a gauge of the Pro's pricing and the OEMs' next step. If RT pricing is very attractive, Pro's pricing is unlikely to be unattractive, and they may consider moving to other OSes.

At this stage, Microsoft cannot afford to lose partnerships. Windows 8 has lots of detractors.

As you state, Linux generally won't generate sales. Them moving to Linux is probably not financially wise. But staying with MS is also not wise either, as Microsoft is now competing with them.
if i remember correctly, Acer was indeed not happy with MS coming up with Surface. but before Windows 8, nobody except samsung had an usable tablet. i tried installing Windows 8 on one of the acer iconia, it doesn't work as great. Samsung slate 7 on the other hand was the only tablet at that time which could really function.

In my opinion, MS coming up with Surface is a wake up call for all the OEMs, to let them know how poor their products has been.

for x64, OEMs can't abandon MS. i doubt there is another consumer grade OS that run on x64? Apple will never license out their OS X.

therefore if they have to abandon Microsoft, they will have to close their the PC unit of their business.

lastly in general, i do not like most of the OEMs. i can't even use a brand new PC without having to format them to get rid of all the crap that comes pre-install. that is a serious waste of time. a machine directly from Microsoft will ensure that it is clean.

been looking at the specs page, but still dun quite understand, so a few noob questions...

1. Surface Pro besides being able to run MSOffice, can it run 3rd-party software?
--- They said "can run all of the applications that you’ve used on previous version of Windows", bt i dunnoe if their applications refer to software programmes?
--- I am referring to software like programming software R, SPSS etc.

2. Their 64/128gb is ssd? or flash memory?

actually i want sth like ultrabook X tablet, so dunnoe if Surface Pro is one or not =/
Surface Pro can run whatever you can run on Windows 7 which is why it is call Pro

User friendliness these days = familiarity with that interface. Win 7 is as user friendly as OSX. Many detractors are complaining not because Metro is not user friendly, rather they're not familiar with it.

I've been using Win8 on a TabletPC on regular keyboard & Trackpad for 4 months. Now that I've installed back my Win7 SSD to get ready for Win8 launch, I find the Start Menu so lame.

The Surface will be not upgradeable because everything is soldered on. At least, that's what I can tell from their animation.

Expect Surface Pro 64GB to be USD1000-1200 with Touch Cover. Add USD200 for 128GB version + USD35 for Video-out since most TV don't have DisplayPort.
i don't think i can go back to windows 7 after using windows 8 for months.

i hasn't seen any tablet that is much upgradeable

i could see the Pro replacing some of the ultrabook in the market since the spec is quite on par.

and Surface comes with a magnetic power adapter aka MagSafe which really make it a plus.

MagSafe is really important. i am always tripping on laptop without MagSafe.

Last edited by ashhong; 17-10-2012 at 09:43 PM..
ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #104
Master Member

oh didnt know Pro can be basically considered as an ultrabk. had my eyes on it since it was announced. haha.

hopefully by the time it comes out, it would still hav some competitive edges over other ultrabooks.
XasakuraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #105

if i remember correctly, Acer was indeed not happy with MS coming up with Surface. but before Windows 8, nobody except samsung had an usable tablet. i tried installing Windows 8 on one of the acer iconia, it doesn't work as great. Samsung slate 7 on the other hand was the only tablet at that time which could really function.

In my opinion, MS coming up with Surface is a wake up call for all the OEMs, to let them know how poor their products has been.

for x64, OEMs can't abandon MS. i doubt there is another consumer grade OS that run on x64? Apple will never license out their OS X.

therefore if they have to abandon Microsoft, they will have to close their the PC unit of their business.

lastly in general, i do not like most of the OEMs. i can't even use a brand new PC without having to format them to get rid of all the crap that comes pre-install. that is a serious waste of time. a machine directly from Microsoft will ensure that it is clean.
Acer made the loudest noise and threatened to end partnerships with Microsoft in public. That's why most people remember Acer being very unhappy with Microsoft when Microsoft came up with the idea of selling a product themselves.

HP, Dell and some others made noise, but not as prominent as Acer itself.

I agree with you that if Microsoft didn't step in, these OEMs don't know how poor they are faring.

I don't believe they need to close down their PC business unit if they abandon Microsoft, but they got to size it down significantly.

I hope that with Microsoft stepping in to set minimum benchmarks, things will improve.
dongdong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.