T100 Windows 8.1 Tablet by Asus

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is my experience for Asus T100. Been using this tablet as a small size laptop for work for the past 2 weeks. I imported mine directly from US. Prior to this, i had owned

- asus me400c (nice form factor, slow processor)
- Thinkpad tablet 2 (nice keyboard, slow processor)
- lenovo heliix (fast but too big as tablet)
- Nexus 7 2013 (new toy, nice for entertainment)
- ipad 2 (old toy)

This tablet meets all my expectation for work. Every day i open the following apps all at once on this tablet
- microsoft word (2 documents)
- excel ( 1 to 2 documents)
- internet explorer (2 browser tab)
- chrome (2 to 3 browser tab)

I have never encounter any lag when i switch between applications. I had tried using the tablet on the mrt to surf, read news, work on documents whole day without plugging in power. outlast all my colleagues ultrabook during meetings in terms of battery life and still have 20 to 30% battery life when i reach home around 7pm.

The keyboard is cramp if you compare to keyboards from a good ultrabook like lenovo helix or thinkpad x230. But if you had used before Asus ME400c transleeve keyboard, its similar in size. i made less mistakes on this tablet compare to me400c. Thinkpad tablet 2 keyboard is still better than this one. After 2 days, you kind of get used to the keyboard size and will make less mistakes. I actually use this tablet to type out my UAT test scripts for my current project.

As for resolution size, some will laugh at the lack of FHD screen. I once feel the same way but after trying out the 1900 X 1080 sceen of lenovo helix, i can tell you at 10.1 inch, this tablet resolution is just nice. On the helix, i often have to zoom in to 125 to 150%. to even see what i am typing. a FHD screen on 11.6 inch and below screen is useless and not very practical if you are typing at arms length. Its only good for watching movies when you hold the tablet close to your eyes

I also see a comment that this tablet is expensive ?? a tablet that is good enough to replace the functionality of an ultrabook like lenovo helix, comes with a dock in keyboard and on top of that comes with microsoft office student edition and still cost less than nexus 7 2013 LTE ... Its very cheap already :) Competing tablet like Venus pro 8 cost more and comes without a keyboard.

i only have one complain for this tablet and that is the limiting HDD size of this tablet. At 64GB, i only get like 31 gb of free space. Not enough space for me to use the tablet to burn a blu ray disc. If the ssd can be replace with higher capacity. This one will be a perfect tabet cum laptop. It already is a perfect productivity tablet for a traveller cos its so light.

Selling in U.S isn't expensive but in Singapore it is. I compared the past product, asus vivotab smart me400. While U.S sold it for $499 while Singapore sell it at $599 ($100 gap only). Same specs, nothing more, nothing less but for T100 in U.S is $399 but in Singapore $599? ($200 more). Same again, nothing more nothing less, bundle in Singapore and U.S are the same. I do not know why Asus set it at $599 but since you bought it from Asus, I will give you a thumbs up, making a wise decision. Is your T100 involve in International warranty?

Keyboard wise, alyssax and the youtube video I posted it in previous page, both mentioned the keyboard isn't really responsive (Just imaging if I type out my document, I need to do it twice, due to the unresponsive) while leads to Asus provided a bad QC on its product. Unless they have 2nd batch of keyboard as an improve version.

Kop

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Selling in U.S isn't expensive but in Singapore it is. I compared the past product, asus vivotab smart me400. While U.S sold it for $499 while Singapore sell it at $599 ($100 gap only). Same specs, nothing more, nothing less but for T100 in U.S is $399 but in Singapore $599? ($200 more). Same again, nothing more nothing less, bundle in Singapore and U.S are the same. I do not know why Asus set it at $599 but since you bought it from Asus, I will give you a thumbs up, making a wise decision. Is your T100 involve in International warranty?

Keyboard wise, alyssax and the youtube video I posted it in previous page, both mentioned the keyboard isn't really responsive (Just imaging if I type out my document, I need to do it twice, due to the unresponsive) while leads to Asus provided a bad QC on its product. Unless they have 2nd batch of keyboard as an improve version.

399 is USD, 599 is SGD. If you go to U.S and buy from their stores, you need to pay sales tax. Else if you import, you also need to pay for import charges. Overall, SG sets are roughly S$50 more expensive .

Last edited:

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

eno_lc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Charles_Wee

Reaction score
A very nice review. Thanks for that. Seems perfect for school. Is it heavy and does it get warm fast ? I need to be turned on and continuos typing for 3/4 of the day.

Yes this tablet is perfect for a student. The tablet itself is lighter than ipad 4 and as light as thinkpad tablet 2. the combine weight of both the keyboard and tablet is around 1kg.

As the OS is 32 windows 8.1, it has connected standby. You can put the tablet to sleep and battery loss is very minimum. I am constantly using the tablet for work and so far have no problem lasting whole day without charging. The tablet is using micro usb for charging so you can actually use those power bank to extend the battery life by charging the tablet while you work.

Charles_Wee

Reaction score

I registered my T100 for warranty and the registration is successful. Its international warranty. As for the price gap, its very common for the manufacturers to treat singaporeans like carrot head. Asus pricing is not too bad already. The new Dell XPS cost like 1.1k USD in US for top spec, here in singapore, Best denki is selling at 2.1k sgd. Lenovo x230 is like 650 to 850usd for i5 basic model, lenovo singapore is selling at 1899sgd.

So to get inexpensive electronics, dun buy in singapore. Import from US. Its usually half price for same specs and bundle :)

starch1990

Reaction score
any idea where i can see a demo set for this tablet? walked ard a few challenger yesterday and cant seem to find it..

miragez

Reaction score
@Charles_Wee have you tried using external mouse such as those branded wireless mouse ? Do they work ? I do know that the asus t100 has a mousepad in built. Just like to know whether does wifi mouse works or bluetooth

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I registered my T100 for warranty and the registration is successful. Its international warranty. As for the price gap, its very common for the manufacturers to treat singaporeans like carrot head. Asus pricing is not too bad already. The new Dell XPS cost like 1.1k USD in US for top spec, here in singapore, Best denki is selling at 2.1k sgd. Lenovo x230 is like 650 to 850usd for i5 basic model, lenovo singapore is selling at 1899sgd.

So to get inexpensive electronics, dun buy in singapore. Import from US. Its usually half price for same specs and bundle :)

How much in total you spent for T100?

Chee_Hian

Reaction score
I tried out the display unit at Vivo Best Denki

I did not experience the keyboard lag as mentioned. However, the keys are small. Similar to netbooks. Not really recommended for long term typing.

Other then that i think the tablet looks good..speed is not bad.

bad1986

Reaction score
I more likely to wait for the 8 inches 8.1 tablet to come before committing to this. 8 inches seem to be a good size for portability.

bad1986

Reaction score
You can get ACER W4

In addition to that, there is a few more into the dilemma.

1) Toshiba Encore (Most atas due to micro-HDMI)
2) Dell Venue Pro 8 - (Lightest of the lot)
3) Lenovo Mixx 2 8 inches

Hope they come to Singapore soon.

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In addition to that, there is a few more into the dilemma.

1) Toshiba Encore (Most atas due to micro-HDMI)
2) Dell Venue Pro 8 - (Lightest of the lot)
3) Lenovo Mixx 2 8 inches

Hope they come to Singapore soon.

Might come either this coming Sitex or next year IT show

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.