[OFFICIAL] Taiwan Guide and Taiwan related matters - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwikleen

Reaction score
Where to buy pineapple tarts in taichung or kaohsiung? And other food souvenirs to get? Prefer more sour ones.

Will be staying at a friend's place wondering what to get for her? Have heard bkt many times but like which brand? Wanted to get pandan cake but would only be going to her place 5 days into the trip so..

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where to buy pineapple tarts in taichung or kaohsiung? And other food souvenirs to get? Prefer more sour ones.

Will be staying at a friend's place wondering what to get for her? Have heard bkt many times but like which brand? Wanted to get pandan cake but would only be going to her place 5 days into the trip so..

Pandan cake put fridge.
Bkt buy song fa, ng ah sio or A1.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahha I wish my bank more than my credit limit.

I bring cc in case I see things I really like then can buy using cc Ma. :(

In that case, cash might be better..At least u dun lose out on bank exchange rates for cc on overseas transaction..

Since bank is likely to convert TWD>USD>SGD before Visa/Mastercard(1%) and bank admin(Depending on bank)..

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Calkel steady :D gave very good suggestions here and there while I was in TW.. Thoroughly enjoyed my trip HL > CJ > TP..

Mango_ice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In that case, cash might be better..At least u dun lose out on bank exchange rates for cc on overseas transaction..

Since bank is likely to convert TWD>USD>SGD before Visa/Mastercard(1%) and bank admin(Depending on bank)..

Ya make sense.

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hualien to CJ (Alternative travel apart from cab)

From Hualien to CJ, many here actually suggested booking a cab which costs around 5-6k NTD but I discovered along the way that you could call the local E-GO Bus number and arrange for a small coach (6 pax max) sharing, a single trip would cost around 1.2k per pax and that would save you quite a substantial sum esp if you're a lone traveler.

I took the EGO bus, picked me up at 8.15am before making its way to pick up another 2 passengers. The drive was fast and safe, driver obviously had driven the same route countless times.

Another advantage of the EGO bus is the pit stops along Taroko and the peak of Hehuanshan, for those who hadn't been to these sites - you would actually get a chance to see it for around 15 - 20 mins per stop. For my trip, we saw Taroko for most parts - so it was the passengers unanimously agreed not to take any stops along Taroko sites minus peak of Hehuan.

Driver also took extra effort to introduce some of the sites and chatted with us along the way, whole ride prolly took around 4hours ish.

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cingjing

I hiked the trails for most part, Calkel bro introduced the sheep farm which I paid a small sum to visit for the sheep show. My advice - if you've been to Australia/NZ or some farm shows in other parts of the world, just skip this - damn touristy shiat.

Stayed at Mone Gardens which costs 200+ a night which was the most expensive accommodation of my entire trip. But the room was good; huge with sound systems, large TV, tub and a king sized bed. At night, I sat outside in the quiet and the cold, just chillax enjoy a good single malt and the weather.

If you're intending to do the nature trails (I think there were like 10 of them, longest would take around couple hours), bring a pair of good sports shoes. I walked most of the trails till my legs were crippled by the time I got back to the hotel. While walking from one trail to another, you might pass by little towns (e.g. little swiss, little england etc etc), some of these were quite worthy of a visit. I sat down and listened to an indie band while eating movenpick ice cream for awhile at one of the "little towns".

Didn't do the "renowned" star-gazing or sunrise trip (book with your minsu), found them too touristy and I doubted there was much to see on a cloudy and foggy night. Anyone who done it, perhaps can share your experience.

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Taichung

My advise for Taichung is to skip the ******* museums, I went to the museum of science and the 921 earthquake museum which were crappy with little or none interactions. I've been to various museums around the world and probably all in SG, and for the first time I found myself yawning my guts out touring a museum in TW. Knn, just siam, don't go, waste time.

Didn't do Gaomei Wetlands due to coming hurricane, which is a pity. Took a trip to Rainbow Village, it was flooded with tourists but overall I found it to be a joyous place, also took a evening post dinner trip to Tunghai University to visit the chapel, it was ordinary and probably things to do only if you need some fillers. Fengjia night market was another destination for me, bigger than the ZiQiang night market in Hualien but still just like another other night market you would see in TW.

Pity that I only had 2 nights in T.C., otherwise I would have done the Syue nature trail and Dasyushan forest trails.

Last edited:

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The remaining Hualien and Taipei, linbeh no write rah.. leave u to explore.. So many spoilers no fun le :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.