HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Advise needed- bus 965 from xmd to jiufen & shifen & keelung

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2019, 01:02 AM   #1

Advise needed- bus 965 from xmd to jiufen & shifen & keelung

Hi
Anyone took bus 965 from xmd to jiufen before? Is there a way i can find out the bus arrival time at xmd as waiting time can be 30-40mins if missed the bus.

I plan to have the following, please advise is it doable or any better way to cover places list below:

8am bus from xmd to jiufen
9.30am reach jiufen. (Are the shops open?)
12.30pm took taxi to Houtong (anyone been to houtong from jiufen via taxi? If yes, how much is the fare?)
1pm houtong & mine exploring(will check out the train timing there to go to shifen or anyone have the train timing? Or is the timing in the google map reliable?)
2.30pm take train to shifen
3pm shifen waterfall
4pm shifen
5.30pm head to Keelung miaokou (1.5hr travel journey)

Thank you 😃😃😃
Toomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #2

Hi
Anyone took bus 965 from xmd to jiufen before? Is there a way i can find out the bus arrival time at xmd as waiting time can be 30-40mins if missed the bus.

I plan to have the following, please advise is it doable or any better way to cover places list below:

12.30pm took taxi to Houtong (anyone been to houtong from jiufen via taxi? If yes, how much is the fare?)
1pm houtong & mine exploring(will check out the train timing there to go to shifen or anyone have the train timing? Or is the timing in the google map reliable?)
3pm shifen waterfall
4pm shifen

Thank you 😃😃😃

You want to consider taking a semi guided tour for less than $30/pax as my previous experience with Klook was good:

Jiufen, Shifen and Keelung Miaokow Night Market Shuttle Bus from Ximen

https://www.klook.com/en-SG/activity...c-23084229d998
mummynew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

Hi

3pm shifen waterfall
4pm shifen

Thank you 😃😃😃
What I did was going to shifen first then take train jiufen.
Ximen station – zhongxiao Fuxing (change mrt) – Muzha station – take Taiwan shuttle bus #795 to shifen. shifen (old street) (2nd last stop) – shifen visitor center (shifen waterfall) (last stop)

After shifen sky lantern, you can take train to Ruifang.
After exit Ruifang, there are many taxi there, you can ask the price for a package to the place you want to go and end with juifen.

After jiufen finish, just take bus, alight 1 bus stop before reaching Keelung Railway station at lion bridge stop on chung yi road. Can ask local when you reach keelung city area.

After Keelung, can take train back to Taipei.
Andrew833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

What I did was going to shifen first then take train jiufen.
Ximen station – zhongxiao Fuxing (change mrt) – Muzha station – take Taiwan shuttle bus #795 to shifen. shifen (old street) (2nd last stop) – shifen visitor center (shifen waterfall) (last stop)

After shifen sky lantern, you can take train to Ruifang.
After exit Ruifang, there are many taxi there, you can ask the price for a package to the place you want to go and end with juifen.

After jiufen finish, just take bus, alight 1 bus stop before reaching Keelung Railway station at lion bridge stop on chung yi road. Can ask local when you reach keelung city area.

After Keelung, can take train back to Taipei.
but day time go Shifen release sky lantern is not nice leh... must release after dark then got the feel... and can see other pple play fire works...

btw for the sky lantern... there are options for those larger lanterns... if not much crowd still can get that... but if got a lot of pple... be prepared to wait coz they needed experienced helper to release the larger ones... we waited for almost 30mins before they find 1 experience guy to help release mine... even then can see some of them avoiding to help mine coz mine is the larger one... at first i thought how hard can it be... but then later realized not easy... especially when there are gusts of wind... can see even the experience guy struggle a bit... luckily everything went well...
wongkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Supremacy Member

but day time go Shifen release sky lantern is not nice leh... must release after dark then got the feel... and can see other pple play fire works...

btw for the sky lantern... there are options for those larger lanterns... if not much crowd still can get that... but if got a lot of pple... be prepared to wait coz they needed experienced helper to release the larger ones... we waited for almost 30mins before they find 1 experience guy to help release mine... even then can see some of them avoiding to help mine coz mine is the larger one... at first i thought how hard can it be... but then later realized not easy... especially when there are gusts of wind... can see even the experience guy struggle a bit... luckily everything went well...
You got hire driver so release sky lantern after dark is ok. But for diy, after dark then take train/bus to keelung is not a good option.
I never see anyone release bigger sky lantern before. Evening, shifen and jiufen very windy.
Old 30-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

You got hire driver so release sky lantern after dark is ok. But for diy, after dark then take train/bus to keelung is not a good option.
I never see anyone release bigger sky lantern before. Evening, shifen and jiufen very windy.
spend a bit more to take cab to keelung lor... got plenty of cabs there waiting... not sure how much though...

actually is not much bigger... maybe abt 15-20cm taller? that time i thought not a lot more expensive just get the big ones since already there...

personally i dun think worth the wait... the 15cm bigger not significant... should just get the normal size ones... and the anxiety seeing him struggle to release the lantern without burning my efforts of writing so much chinese characters is too much for my heart...
Old 30-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

spend a bit more to take cab to keelung lor... got plenty of cabs there waiting... not sure how much though...

actually is not much bigger... maybe abt 15-20cm taller? that time i thought not a lot more expensive just get the big ones since already there...

personally i dun think worth the wait... the 15cm bigger not significant... should just get the normal size ones... and the anxiety seeing him struggle to release the lantern without burning my efforts of writing so much chinese characters is too much for my heart...
Haha normal size is good enough liao.
If planning diy, cost is a factor. So, for me if can I don't take cab, the diy experience is wonderful.
Btw, there is very few cabs at shifen. More cabs at ruifang and jiufen.
Old 30-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Haha normal size is good enough liao.
If planning diy, cost is a factor. So, for me if can I don't take cab, the diy experience is wonderful.
Btw, there is very few cabs at shifen. More cabs at ruifang and jiufen.
i arrive at shifen around 5pm on a weekday... that time already got a snaking queue of cabs there... at least 10-15 cabs there... not sure whether are all of those empty or already booked... but once i reached there... got cab drivers approached us whether we need cab back to train station or taipei a not... some even offer us to take us to those lantern shops... so i reckon should be a lot of empty cabs?

yah lah... DIY got DIY fun... but personally i felt lantern should be launch at night lah... more spectacular...
Old 30-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Just download the taipei bus app.

Very good!! Once you get used to it, u will probably stop taking taxi for most of your trip unless no-choice.
(Taipei Bus - Real Time)
(Taichung Bus - No Ad)

Or BusTracker Taiwan (Difficult to use initially, but once u understand, it will be very informative)

And use the taxi app when you are in tourist zone.
Many syndicated parked taxis will ask for a fixed inflated fare.
But with app, you get metered fare, and waiting time usually 10-15mins.

(search keyword: 55688, u need a taiwan number to register, cash payment ok)
Once u had a taiwan number, you can get FoodPanda when your legs are jellied.
They will deliver to hotel reception, or minsu doorsteps.

Last edited by kevinlaikf; 30-12-2019 at 12:48 PM..
kevinlaikf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

i arrive at shifen around 5pm on a weekday... that time already got a snaking queue of cabs there... at least 10-15 cabs there... not sure whether are all of those empty or already booked... but once i reached there... got cab drivers approached us whether we need cab back to train station or taipei a not... some even offer us to take us to those lantern shops... so i reckon should be a lot of empty cabs?

yah lah... DIY got DIY fun... but personally i felt lantern should be launch at night lah... more spectacular...
Ok will take note, in future will consider flying lantern in the evening.
Old 30-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

Just download the taipei bus app.

Very good!! Once you get used to it, u will probably stop taking taxi for most of your trip unless no-choice.
(Taipei Bus - Real Time)
(Taichung Bus - No Ad)

Or BusTracker Taiwan (Difficult to use initially, but once u understand, it will be very informative)

And use the taxi app when you are in tourist zone.
Many syndicated parked taxis will ask for a fixed inflated fare.
But with app, you get metered fare, and waiting time usually 10-15mins.

(search keyword: 55688, u need a taiwan number to register, cash payment ok)
I download (Taipei Bus - Real Time) app when I'm doing diy in tw. But Taichung diy will waste a lot of time so hire driver just for Taichung only.
The rest either train/HSR/bus.
Old 30-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sky lanterns are an environmental plague. Wonder why people do it for the novelty and fun of it.
Old 30-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Sky lanterns are an environmental plague. Wonder why people do it for the novelty and fun of it.
Don't worry, local is doing sky lantern recycling. I saw them doing it. But it's truth, they need more affect on cleaning.
Old 30-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

$$$... the money that is driving the economy too tempting... besides they got a good excuse in preserving a tradition/culture... and in taiwan... whoever bans sky lantern is looking at losing votes too... cab drivers, food hawkers, tour operators, local residents etc confirm lose their votes...

just like cigarettes... there is practically nothing good from smoking... but the money generating from it is just too big to ignore... imagine without cigarettes... gahment will be collecting less taxes... pharmaceutical companies less revenue from lung cancer treatments... hospital/doctors less revenue... etc...

at least they do lantern recycling... heard from my driver that locals who brings in the debris get a token amount from the town council...

oh ok... another side note to take when buying souvenirs at shifen... those little sky lantern hangings things are more expensive there... it is at least NTD20-40 cheaper at other places like night markets... hmm... but then 20-40 not really a lot also...
Old 30-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
Supremacy Member

$$$... the money that is driving the economy too tempting... besides they got a good excuse in preserving a tradition/culture... and in taiwan... whoever bans sky lantern is looking at losing votes too... cab drivers, food hawkers, tour operators, local residents etc confirm lose their votes...

just like cigarettes... there is practically nothing good from smoking... but the money generating from it is just too big to ignore... imagine without cigarettes... gahment will be collecting less taxes... pharmaceutical companies less revenue from lung cancer treatments... hospital/doctors less revenue... etc...

at least they do lantern recycling... heard from my driver that locals who brings in the debris get a token amount from the town council...

oh ok... another side note to take when buying souvenirs at shifen... those little sky lantern hangings things are more expensive there... it is at least NTD20-40 cheaper at other places like night markets... hmm... but then 20-40 not really a lot also...
Little sky lantern souvenirs you buy from other places may be cheaper but they are the basic tier of sky lantern souvenirs. There are many better one only in shifen.
I brought a wooden one with light blinking if you on it.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.