HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #1756
High Supremacy Member

normally when isthe typhoon period?? last how long... The recent one over??
Old 25-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #1757

HI,

I came across these people at a booth in the Taipei Main Station today. Mezzanine floor ,Near Pillar 17.Going down to departure from the NORTH e\EXIT. Their website shows the Hotel Coupon book you can buy and advertise 3 nights Double Room for NTD1999.I.E. A couple can stay together at NT 1999 .Booking from their booth during the Promotion gives you buy one get one free i.e. 6 Nights NT1999 They will be there for 2 weeks having come up North fron Chiayi.

http://www.alishan.com.tw The contact Cell number in Taipei 0955 854858
They represent many budget hotels around Taiwan including Taipei,Hualien,Taichung, Chiayi.e.i.c.

It is better if you call then when you are here and then get those Discount coupons for overnight stay in Hualien e.t.c.
You can check main details at the website
Old 25-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #1758

Taiwan trip during August

Hi,

I will be going to Taipei with my friend from 21/8/05 (Sunday) to 23/8/05 (Tuesday). Will be travelling on Jetstar asia and will arrive at Taipei around 5.10pm. We will be staying at Royal Castle (Chengdu) near Ximenting.

Would like to have some advice/comments on my planned itinerary for the trip. Would appreciate it if someone can tell me also whether did I indicate wrongly the station to alight ? Finally, hope you all have the patience to go through my lengthy itinerary.

First day
- To shop in Ximenting since will be near evening time when we arrived.
- To eat the Ah Zong Mian Xie plus the famous duck tongue. I know that the duck tongue costs $7 bucks per set but my friend got quite a small appetitie and one set can be quite a lot. Is there anyway that we can buy half a set ? Or can we combine with other items like duck wings ?
- Is there any particular shopping centre that we should go to in Ximenting ? How about far eastern shopping centre at this Bao Qing road ?

Second day
- Shop around Ximenting in the early morning or proceed to Cheng Pin near the Taipei Station. Alight at Taipei Railway Station. Get ready to leave by 10am. Heard that there are underground shops at the railway station, what time will they open ?
- Proceed to Guang Hua Shan Chang by 10.30am to buy japanese VCD. Alight at Zhongxiao Xinsheng.
- Proceed to reach SOGO Dept by 11.15am. Alight at Zhongxiao Dun Hua.
- Proceed to New York New York & Shin-Kong Mitsukoshi Dept Store at 1.15pm. Alight at Taipei City Hall.
- Leave by 4pm. Schedule to reach Wu Fen Pu by 4.30pm. Shop till 6.15pm.
- Go back to hotel by 6.45pm and unload stuff. Then proceed to Shilin Night Market. Alight at Jiantan.
- Dinner at Shilin Night Market. Must try the fried chicken cutlet and da bin bao xiao bin. And continue shopping.
- And finally back to hotel and packing luggage

Third day
- Shop around Ximenting in the early morning, if did not overslept.
- Proceed to Shin-Kong Mitsukoshi Dept Store at Taipei Station around 10am. Alight at Taipei Railway Station. Buy Kee Hwa Lao Pao Bi and Hualian specialities like sha qi ma and machi.
- Back to hotel and wait for airport transfer
- Home sweet home
Old 26-07-2005, 01:45 AM   #1759
High Supremacy Member

Hi,

I will be going to Taipei with my friend from 21/8/05 (Sunday) to 23/8/05 (Tuesday). Will be travelling on Jetstar asia and will arrive at Taipei around 5.10pm. We will be staying at Royal Castle (Chengdu) near Ximenting.

Would like to have some advice/comments on my planned itinerary for the trip. Would appreciate it if someone can tell me also whether did I indicate wrongly the station to alight ? Finally, hope you all have the patience to go through my lengthy itinerary.

First day
- To eat the Ah Zong Mian Xie plus the famous duck tongue. I know that the duck tongue costs $7 bucks per set but my friend got quite a small appetitie and one set can be quite a lot. Is there anyway that we can buy half a set ? Or can we combine with other items like duck wings ?
- Is there any particular shopping centre that we should go to in Ximenting ? How about far eastern shopping centre at this Bao Qing road ?

Second day
- Shop around Ximenting in the early morning or proceed to Cheng Pin near the Taipei Station. Alight at Taipei Railway Station. Get ready to leave by 10am. Heard that there are underground shops at the railway station, what time will they open ?
- Proceed to Guang Hua Shan Chang by 10.30am to buy japanese VCD. Alight at Zhongxiao Xinsheng.
- Proceed to New York New York & Shin-Kong Mitsukoshi Dept Store at 1.15pm. Alight at Taipei City Hall.
- Go back to hotel by 6.45pm and unload stuff. Then proceed to Shilin Night Market. Alight at Jiantan.
- Dinner at Shilin Night Market. Must try the fried chicken cutlet and da bin bao xiao bin. And continue shopping.

Third day
- Proceed to Shin-Kong Mitsukoshi Dept Store at Taipei Station around 10am. Alight at Taipei Railway Station. Buy Kee Hwa Lao Pao Bi and Hualian specialities like sha qi ma and machi.
- Home sweet home

like that less then 3 days also want to go?? but yr plan quite ok lar boipain.. but it is a waste u pay for the airfare to go for 3 days.. first day reach there plus book in ard 7pm..
Old 26-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #1760
High Supremacy Member

Hi,

First day

Second day

Third day
- Home sweet home
if you live near ximenting, dun need to spend so much time there, esp if u r guys. give u 3 hours, should be more than enough, unless u can look at a pair of jeans for half-an-hour. and it is not so nice in the day, let alone in the early morning.

usually travelling in city, follow this rule
1. early morning - sightseeing (becos most shops are not opened till 11am and most museums till 9am)
2. after 8-9am - goes into places with admission and closing hours
3. night time - save it for night markets and clubs (as most scenaries are gone at night)

ximenting, can go after 9pm, still crowded. shilin can go after 11pm, still crowded. save the time for other places, unless u r only interested in shopping. can go danshui at sunset before returning to shilin, it is along the way.

if dun mind spending on transport, recommend dinner at baiyun shanzhuang on top of yangmingshan, can see most of taipei's night scene. quite nice with music on the background.
Old 26-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #1761

Thanks for your advice. But if I go to Shilin after 11pm, how am I going to come back because I know the MRT there will end around 11 plus. Me and my friend are girls, thus quite afraid to take cab in night hours.
Old 26-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #1762
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for your advice. But if I go to Shilin after 11pm, how am I going to come back because I know the MRT there will end around 11 plus. Me and my friend are girls, thus quite afraid to take cab in night hours.

cab quite safe lar.. if u stay XMT.. then cab fare is quite cheap
Old 26-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #1763
High Supremacy Member

ic, sorry didn't know y'alls are girls. i c why ximenting has become a major pt of interest. but do note that some of their wear is quite j-hip hop, probably dun hit the taste in sg. but in terms of season, now is summer, so y'alls would probably get what u want. basically yours would have sufficient time for ximenting based on your current plan, and there are no major buildings that u must enter in ximenting as the area is mostly made up of small shops. imagine the area as a fan shape. u start from the ximen station, it will open up into 3 main street like that of 3 spines holding the fan, halfway through along any of the 3 main streets, u can cross the road (imagine it as an internal diameter) and go on to the outer parameter. u can come the area in a systematic way, or u can just follow your heart. some of the smaller alleys have more interesting stuff, like some tattoos if u like, or custom-made leather goods (which u may not have time to wait for the production). if u like korean stuff, there is one little store opened by koreans selling authentic korean imported posters, u problem getting a gd one for kwon sang-woo or lee byeon-heon.

security is better than a decade ago, but is never a gd promise on anything. being a girl is an inherent risk, unless you have a bigger group larger than 3. having 4 is gd for sharing rooms and cabs. i have come across a pair of irish girls who crossed a dell too early at dawn (5am) in nepal, they were robbed of all their backpack (all belongings on travelling) and one of the girl was slashed in the shoulder. the same could have happened to guys too, but similarly not in groups.

but dun miss danshui, rem to catch it the right time. u can reach there as early as 3-4pm, basically do simple shopping along the streets mostly selling local traditional food just like asakusa, the mood is fairly similar. there is one shop which opens itself as a musuem on their fishing process and sell fishballs, crackers and stuff. but dun think that is all for danshui (which for the first time i'm there, i thought that is all, and i'm pretty disappointed at the dirty shores with some sampans and birds). take a bus to danshui yuren matou, takes abt 15mins and intervals is also that frequent. at sunset, it can get pretty nice on the pier, and there are people doing portraits at the usual price. wait till the early night and it will still be quite nice....
Old 27-07-2005, 12:03 AM   #1764
High Supremacy Member

try to post my first travel photo on the forum... hopefully it works...

Danshui's yuren matou (fisherman's wharf)
Old 27-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #1765
High Supremacy Member

my favorite among all the pic i took in taiwan.

qingjing farm
Old 27-07-2005, 12:18 AM   #1766
High Supremacy Member

my 2nd favorite.

alishan - fuqishu (couple's tree)
Old 27-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #1767
High Supremacy Member

3rd fav. ok, my last for taiwan. dun want to clutter this thread with all my pics, but quite shiok showing off some fav pics. yeah!

kaoshiung - love river (this one forgot to take off the date cos i'm new to that camera)

Last edited by zoossh; 27-07-2005 at 12:29 AM..
Old 27-07-2005, 02:19 AM   #1768
High Supremacy Member

my favorite among all the pic i took in taiwan.

qingjing farm

u the butts man??
Old 27-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #1769
Arch-Supremacy Member

I went to Xinbeitou for hotspring, then around lunch time headed to Tamshui. We ate snacks as we walk around in Tamshui. We didn't go for those 'proper' meals. The fishballs there's different. My bf had 2 rounds of fishballs at 2 different stalls. We also went to Yurenmatou. Roundtrip ferry ticket costs NT80. I quite like Yurenmatou. A relaxing place, different from the city. Maybe becos we are a couple and I enjoy the strolling (though I was quite tire already). The scenary is quite nice there. Then we took the ferry back to Tamshui, walk around, didn't take dinner but ate along the way (smelly beancurd, xia juan, etc). Then we listen to the musician playing near the mrt. Left the place around 9plus....then too late to go to Shilin and we were too tire as well. Went back to hotel in Ximenting, bought soup, mianxian and some other snacks back to hotel to makan.

We went to Shilin Night Market on a seperate day but as we were too tire, we walked for a while, bought some snacks and then took a cab back to Ximenting. Costs about SGD10 for the cab fare. Can't really remember the amount. But when I go travelling, I don't mind spending, especially when I'm tire.

We had more fun/food (actually more food than fun) at Wufenpu and Raohe Night Market.

Too bad I fell sick on the second last day and we spend another 2 hours at the hotel resting. We were at Taipei 101, Warner, New York New York and wanted to head to Wufenpu but had to return to hotel. Then we left hotel at about 6.30pm to Wufenpu...walked for a while before we found the place. Then we left Wufenpu to Raohe Night Market (not very far.....had to cross a bridge) at about 10.30pm. Bought more food, took cab back to hotel at about 1am.....shops were starting to close. Back at hotel, makan till about 3.30am plus 4am then we slept....then next morning almost couldn't wake up....went to Lungshan Temple to see see look look and take photos then went back to Ximenting. Bought some makan, quick lunch at hotel then depart for airport.

Was there for 5 days and first day nothing much.....had to meet friends for dinner....and 2nd day had to change hotel. Didn't go to Wulai as planned. Was there for 5 days and returned back to Singapore on eve of Typhoon. Raining very heavily on Sunday when we left. Had to take cab to airport instead of coach due to heavy rain (didn't want to missed our flights as cars were driving too slowly).

Will post some photos on the hotel that I stayed at. Hotel is good and I strongly recommend this. Stayed at Rainbow for one nite and didn't like it. Personal preference.
Old 28-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #1770

Hmmmmmm. I will have to report you to the Mayor Ma as the real cause of the food shortage , It was not the typhoon damage as reported in the press!!

My GF always does that, plans for a day out then gets tired halfway and we buy back a lot of food!!!!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.