HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #2116
Great Supremacy Member

So is the rooms in One Star better or East Dragon? Actually rooms just for sleeping .. Price n the TV programs more important~! haha
TV programs? what kinda u want? :p

u shld be tired after the whole day of walking...come back hotel...bath then watch a bit of TV...can z liao...

******watch out for some channels after 12am...u will find gems ****
Old 16-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #2117
High Supremacy Member

TV programs? what kinda u want? :p

u shld be tired after the whole day of walking...come back hotel...bath then watch a bit of TV...can z liao...

******watch out for some channels after 12am...u will find gems ****

boring one lar cannot see the 3 most important point.. or can see 2??
Old 16-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #2118
High Supremacy Member

currently not in taiwan and do not join tour groups so can't provide information re tour packages.

as for the minshuku, depends on what you like and always be careful that the photos shown may be different from what you see on the web. you can check out this site at http://inn.poja.com.tw/

do note that for decent nice beautiful minshuku, need to spend about S$40-100 each person (rooms starts from doubles). may get further discount on sunday nights (cos everyone need to go back to work), more expensive on fri and sat night.
those hot and popular minshuku include

http://www.shan-ling.com.tw/ (pricey)
http://garden.poja.com.tw/ (must book in advance, i miss this becos i didn't book in advance.
personally stayed at

http://www.watashio.com/
immediately next to the beach along the hualien coast south of hualien city down to their marine park. when the wind is big and the waves hitting on the shore, magnificient feeling, houses are generally made of bamboo, and is homey and warm. meant for people with a poetic romantic touch.

con: relatively expensive relative to lack of facilities, no TV, no internet, and not air-con or with heater, had a fan though, can consider if temp is not in extreme

http://flin.poja.com.tw/
north of hualien city towards xincheng and tarogo gouge. wooden houses, mixture of nostalgic taiwanese style plus european farmhouse design. internet at the counter, if you are the only people staying there, the obasang there is usually nice enough to allow you to use it. owned by a family but they dun stay there. gd service.

i stayed in this room,

but many other designs for you to choose from
for example this one

Last edited by zoossh; 16-09-2005 at 06:54 PM..
Old 16-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #2119
High Supremacy Member

also do note that TVs at minshuku are usually meant for healthy non-sleezy people so the channels are usually the standard 4 wired channel plus minus healthy cable channels. if wanna go cheap, can alos opt for those cheaper "japanese-styled" minshuku which is none other than mattresses in your HDB flat, shot to look nice on web photos, but nothing interesting when u arrive, so dun be taken in.
Old 16-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #2120
High Supremacy Member

those that travel in larger groups of 4-8 people can consider staying in those japanese-styled tatami-floored rooms, cheaper per capital and also quite nice. but no comfort of beds and some may not be used to it.
Old 16-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #2121
High Supremacy Member

it is also good to look at the map to see where you want to go and where you want to stay.

in general, there are a few places of accomodation

1. around hualien port in hualien city, near the airport and near the famous xixingtan (scenic beach at dawn and dusk)

2. ji'an district of hualien city, near most of the older streets for you to shop, eat and buy muar-chee.

3. shoufeng district south of hualien city, near their marine parks and various eating outlets

4. yuli to ruishui district, further south, for only hardcore travellers who wanted to see more of the folk culture there and try their white water rafting.

5. xincheng, north of hualien city, can go to both hualien city in the south or north to tarogo gorge.

6. taroge gouge, 1-2 accomodation at the entrance, 1 super posh hotel in the middle of the taroge gouge, one and only there (a number of other lodgings are closed, so be careful to check out before going), cost about S$100-200 (price dropped, used to be more than S$200 per nite per person). gd for couples who are willing to spend and spend time trekking the gorge over 2 days.

http://www.leaderhotel.com/blw/index.html

Last edited by zoossh; 16-09-2005 at 07:16 PM..
Old 16-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #2122

is there any parks worth going in or near to taipei? thought of spending maybe half a day relaxing at somewhere natural. is the yang ming shan park worth going?
Old 16-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #2123

juz curious..

what did u do in Jiufen and keelung...y u need to take 1 day each?

explore all e place loh, from breakfast to dinner, cos i quite free one mah, slowly take my time c c lok lok, next week going beitou for a hot spring
Old 16-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #2124
Arch-Supremacy Member

i cover jiufen + keelung in one day...

can give yeliu a miss if u dun like to see rocks
can show me your itenery for your trip to jiufen + keelung? thks

No lag, just flap flap!
Old 16-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #2125
High Supremacy Member

is there any parks worth going in or near to taipei? thought of spending maybe half a day relaxing at somewhere natural. is the yang ming shan park worth going?
yes. but yangmingshan is a big area, not just a park. u need more than half a day to really see the place, if a few people, share a cab but negotiate to cover nighttime. if alone, consider taking bus but to descend by last bus in evening.

yangmingshan, recommend that you go up to do trekking a few of the routes to see their waterfalls, visit the sulphur fumes, the milky lake and go to jinshan for hot spring, pop into some of the cafes and at night go to baiyun mansion for a dinner with jazz music.
Old 16-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #2126
High Supremacy Member

explore all e place loh, from breakfast to dinner, cos i quite free one mah, slowly take my time c c lok lok, next week going beitou for a hot spring
if u r talking about keelung city plus suburb, that's ok. but jiufen is very very small, and only with 2 main streets, so unless u go jinguashi also, it should be done within 3 hrs and extended at most to half a day, isn't it? but anyway, jiufen is really a nice place to take photographs.
Old 16-09-2005, 09:58 PM   #2127

juz watched shi zhi lu kou, they went to sun moon lake~ the scenery very nice but i think i wun be covering that area~ i will go furthest hualian only
Old 16-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #2128

if u r talking about keelung city plus suburb, that's ok. but jiufen is very very small, and only with 2 main streets, so unless u go jinguashi also, it should be done within 3 hrs and extended at most to half a day, isn't it? but anyway, jiufen is really a nice place to take photographs.
i go every mth mah, so must slowly cover, i always set off ard noon time if not too far away from taipei so by e time come back oredi nite liao, just nice to hv dinner or supper than koon
Old 16-09-2005, 11:05 PM   #2129
Great Supremacy Member

i go every mth mah, so must slowly cover, i always set off ard noon time if not too far away from taipei so by e time come back oredi nite liao, just nice to hv dinner or supper than koon
we are not so lucky as u to go taiwan every mth.

so we have to rush, jiufen + keelung for travellers like us is juz fine in 1 day
Old 16-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #2130

currently not in taiwan and do not join tour groups so can't provide information re tour packages.

as for the minshuku, depends on what you like and always be careful that the photos shown may be different from what you see on the web. you can check out this site at http://inn.poja.com.tw/

do note that for decent nice beautiful minshuku, need to spend about S$40-100 each person (rooms starts from doubles). may get further discount on sunday nights (cos everyone need to go back to work), more expensive on fri and sat night.
those hot and popular minshuku include

http://www.shan-ling.com.tw/ (pricey)
http://garden.poja.com.tw/ (must book in advance, i miss this becos i didn't book in advance.
personally stayed at

http://www.watashio.com/
immediately next to the beach along the hualien coast south of hualien city down to their marine park. when the wind is big and the waves hitting on the shore, magnificient feeling, houses are generally made of bamboo, and is homey and warm. meant for people with a poetic romantic touch.

con: relatively expensive relative to lack of facilities, no TV, no internet, and not air-con or with heater, had a fan though, can consider if temp is not in extreme

http://flin.poja.com.tw/
north of hualien city towards xincheng and tarogo gouge. wooden houses, mixture of nostalgic taiwanese style plus european farmhouse design. internet at the counter, if you are the only people staying there, the obasang there is usually nice enough to allow you to use it. owned by a family but they dun stay there. gd service.
can check with u how shd we book the minshuku ? Call them wl do? Also do we hv to make payment or deposit first? Becos from their website, most of them req some payment first...

still don't which Minsuku to book ...
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.