HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #2641

This is in Hualien : Catholic Church 03-8691122 NTD350 per night- room dorm not too clear, you can call them. in Tiansiang : Altitude 480 meters,

Kaohsiung:
1YHF Hostel 120 Wenwu-1 St (07) 201-2477
1 blck E of Chunghua-3 & N of Chihsien Rd NT$280-up
Call ahead...

Happy Family
16 Lane 317, Linsen-1 Rd (07) 236-1690 Short walk to train station NT$250-up
Old 24-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #2642

Transport from CKS To Friends Hotel

Hi All,

Earlier in the thread someone recommended Friends Hotl. Anyone else stayed there and knows how to get there from the airport? Is there a limo bus that goes straight to the hotel?

I read from pg 1 to 111 until cross eye liao but dun see this info
Old 24-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #2643

Hi,
Friend's Group has many branches, Which branch are you talking about?? Avoid the one at ZhongXiao E RD Sec 4 as it is on the 12 th floor with a KTV below and a snooker hall above.

Friends's Group

Last edited by nuttyazn; 24-11-2005 at 09:41 PM..
Old 24-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #2644

HI guys and gals .I found this site, Looks like home stay all around the Island. From as low as NT500. You have to click on the link with the NTD logo for the respective budget.
Unfortunately, I cant read the Chinese, so you can go through it and pass on some recomemdations to other Forumers. Thanks,
http://ezhome.org.tw/
Old 24-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #2645

Friend Hotel

I'm referring to Friend Spring (You Chun) at Minquan West Rd.
Old 24-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #2646

I'm referring to Friend Spring (You Chun) at Minquan West Rd.
Hi,
You can take the Evervoyage (Evergreen) Bus to Minquan W Rd MRT then walk to the hotel which is not too far. Fare should not be more than NTD140

Evervoyage Route map:
Old 25-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #2647

Thanks!

Thanks for your help!
Old 26-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #2648

Just came back from Taipei late last nite. Was there for a week. Weather ranges from poor to fair..average temp was around 19-20 degrees. The wind can be quite cold esp at nite.

We were quite unlucky, it rained continuously for a few days there. Went to Yangming shan and Jinguashi but couldn't see the full splendour cos of the rain and fog... will post my full itinerary later.

Thanks to all in this forum who've helped in one way or the other inplanning of my trip!
Old 27-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #2649

OK, as promised, here are the things we’ve done for our 7 days Taiwan Trip:

Day 1 – 19/11
Reached Taipei at about 7-8pm. Took a Dayou bus instead of freego, longer way, but alight directly at Taipei Station.
Went Shilin Market for the nite, the place was VERY crowded since it’s a Sat nite! The crowd was very similar to what we experience at Chinatown during CNY season!
Hotel – Mei Shuen – Really koyak (lousy), but for NT$800 a nite, I’m not complaining much.

Day 2 – 20/11
Went CKS Memorial, Ximending, then Taipei 101, New York New York etc. Didn’t go up Taipei 101 as it was very cloudy and hazy. Later took a bus from City Hall station to Miramar Ferry wheel. The journey was quite long, about an hour or so (couldn’t rem exactly).
After taking the wheel, boarded their free transfer bus to Shilin Market (Jiantan Station) again for a quick bite, then headed back to Hotel.

Day 3 – 21/11
Took Zhiqiang hao on 6.45am to Hualian. Journey was about 2.75hrs. Once reached there, was approached by a cabby for Hualian tour. He quoted us NT$1800 (I know someone paid only NT$1500 here for the tour) but decreased to NT$1700. As we need a place to stay for the nite as well, he offered his Minshu too. NT$1200 for one nite. We find it OK so accepted his offer. We did not see many competition for this sort of Cab tour… maybe it wasn’t peak season? The cabby took us to his Minshu to drop off our luggage, then started the tour. Went to Chang Chun Ci, Yan Zhi Kou, Jiu Qu Dong, Tian Xiang in Taroko gorge. Had lunch in Tian Xiang. He offered to bring us to Qing Hai Duan Ya (cliff by the sea) for another NT$2000. We declined but instead ask him to bring us to Qi Xing Tan. He charged us additional NT$200. The wind was pretty strong and it rained intermittently. Later he dropped us off at Hualian town centre. We walked around for a while and head to Zhiqiang Nite market (very small nite market) for food. Then we walked back to the Minshu in the rain!

Day 4 – 22/11
What we did this day was not for the “faint hearted”! :-P
We originally wanted to go Hualian Ocean park but was discouraged by this cabby. He said there was nothing much to see and play there but if we insisted on going, he have the tickets at NT$890 per pax. We decided not to go to Ocean park but dunno wad to do next. I asked him about whether he takes people to He Huan Shan. He said yes but due to the distance, it would be very pricey! He quoted us NT$8000 for a trip to He Huan Shan, Qing Jing Farm and Sun Moon Lake! I was in a dilemma, as I would very much like to see the mountains but was concerned about the price and weather. After some negotiation, we agreed at a price of NT$7300, which is almost the price we paid for 6 nites of lodging in Taiwan! That’s why I said it wasn’t for the faint-hearted! Maybe I just wanted to see the mountains very badly!

We set off at 7am in the morning, passed by Taroko gorge again and took the meandering mountain roads to head for one of the He Huan Shan’s peaks, Wu Ling (above 3200m sea level). Some stretches of the road were quite scary as u could see traces of fallen debris and rocks due to landslides! Maybe these were destruction caused by the recent Long Wang typhoon. After about 2.5 - 3 hrs drive, we reached wu ling. It was shrouded with mist and fog and we couldn’t see any landscape at all! Very disappointed. It was very cold and wet (cos of the mist and clouds) at the peak, definitely below 5 degrees Celsius.

As there were not much to see except for fog and some debris, we headed for Qing Jing farm shortly (Nan Tou area). It took another hour or so. This is a very nice place! Being hailed as Taiwanese Switzerland in one of their travel handbook! We spent about 2 hours there walking around the farm, enjoying the scenery and companies of sheep and goats! After our lunch, we set off to Sun Moon Lake, which took about another hour.

We started the journey back to Hualian from Sun Moon lake at abt 3.30pm, reached Hualian station only at abt 8.30pm! Taking the cab meandering those perilous mountain roads in the night was quite an experience! Even the cabby’s mother was worried and called him a few times to check on his whereabouts. Took the last train back to Taipei and checked into One Star about 0020hrs.

Day 5 – 23/11

The weather was fair early in the morning. After our breakfast, we took the 9.40am bus to Yeh liu. It started to rain very heavily at Keelung. Xian…
After Yeh Liu, went back to Keelung for lunch, then took a train to Ruifang to buy the NT$80 admission ticket to Jinguashi (as advised by another forumer here). Luck wasn’t really on our side. The shop was closed. We took a bus to Jingguashi and toured around for a while. It kept on raining and it was getting late and the museums will be closed at 5pm. After Jinguashi we took the bus again to head for Jiufen. It was already dark and we walked around the old street for a while and took some pics. Later took a bus back to Keelung for MiaoKou Nite market. End the day by taking the Guoguang bus back to Taipei.

Day 6 – 24/11

Weather seemed to have changed for the better. Went to YMS in the morning. I actually made my wife to climb up the countless steps to Qixing Garden. It took us about an hour plus to hike up. When we reached there, it was very foggy and windy. Temp was around 12 degrees Celsius Xian again… Couldn’t see far. We hiked down the other way to reach Leng Shui Keng (cold water hot spring…ironic rite?)
Saw many enjoying the hot springs inside a small building, but we merely soaked our tired feet in a pool outside for a while. The water wasn’t hot at all, hence the name…
We planned to head for Danshui in the evening, as there were still some time, we went to walk around SOGO at Zhong Xiao Fu Xing station.

When we reached Yuren Matou, the sun was almost covered by the clouds again. No brilliant sunset to enjoy. Rest there for a while and head back to Danshui old street for snacks and makan. Later went to Hua Xi street to look see. Lots of store selling adult toys there!

Day 7 – 25/11

As we’re taking the 6.25pm flight back, we have the morning at our disposal. Did some last min shopping at New York New York. Decided to go up to the observatory at 101. Though the weather was better, the surrounding was still foggy. Couldn’t see very far. In the observatory, you could actually feel the building moving slightly.
Went to Wu fen pu in the afternoon before heading back to hotel to get our luggage. My wife was not that interested in the clothing cos most of them were autumn wear, not suitable for use in Singapore.

If you’re going to Taiwan this week, they’re having their last few days of campaigning before the election! Very interesting to see the candidates doing all sorts of stuff to win over votes!

Thank you for bearing with the rather long post. I hope it can be useful to anyone planning for trip to Taiwan.
Old 27-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #2650

Hi,

Nice post.

Your NTD7300 was pretty good. Others paid NT4000 one way from Taichung via Chingling to Hualien. These drivers are pretty skillful.
Old 27-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #2651
Banned

hey guys..can help me c whether this tour package good anot? 1k plus..worth?

http://www.ctc.com.sg/travelpkg_view...ravelpkg_id=34

can gif some opinions?
Old 28-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #2652

Some pics I took...

Wuling Signboard

Qing Jing Farm
Old 28-11-2005, 02:09 AM   #2653

Hi,

Nice post.

Your NTD7300 was pretty good. Others paid NT4000 one way from Taichung via Chingling to Hualien. These drivers are pretty skillful.
Yah, had to agree the driver is skilful. But sometimes if a tour bus or lorry was in front, it'll hog up the traffic as the mountain roads are all single lane .He told me it is easier to dirve at night as u can see the oncoming vehicles from afar!
Old 28-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #2654
Supremacy Member

Yah, had to agree the driver is skilful. But sometimes if a tour bus or lorry was in front, it'll hog up the traffic as the mountain roads are all single lane .He told me it is easier to dirve at night as u can see the oncoming vehicles from afar!
wow, ur trip is almost similar to mine when i went last dec! also reached on a sat nite and went to shilin at nite. also went thru taroko to tian xiang, but then i stayed in tian xiang instead of hualian, then took a bus to li shan, which further than he huan shan. the bus driver must have been driving faster than 80km/hr on those roads! is the wu ling u visited near wu ling farm? its weird how come i nv see that wu ling sign when i was at wu ling farm. when i was back in taipei i also went yms
Old 28-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #2655

wow, ur trip is almost similar to mine when i went last dec! also reached on a sat nite and went to shilin at nite. also went thru taroko to tian xiang, but then i stayed in tian xiang instead of hualian, then took a bus to li shan, which further than he huan shan. the bus driver must have been driving faster than 80km/hr on those roads! is the wu ling u visited near wu ling farm? its weird how come i nv see that wu ling sign when i was at wu ling farm. when i was back in taipei i also went yms

I wasn't sure whether its near wu ling farm, the surrounding was so foggy and it was drizzling. On my return trip to Hua Lian, it was already dark when we passed by Wu Ling again.

I like YMS too. When we were there, lots of aunties and uncles were hiking as well. They're very friendly and will show you the direction if you're not sure.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.