HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 03:10 AM   #2686

Hi all, Just back from an 8D trip to taipei and its surrounding areas. Will post my iteneries here soon while i download my pics to my computer. I have learnt plenty from this forum which benefited my trip greatly. In turn, I would like to return the favour. I would like to post pics as well. May i have any recommendations on websites to upload my pics so that i can crosslink here?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #2687

Hi everyone, after much planning and reading up on this wonderful thread, I've come up with this plan. Main purpose is to eat and shop as miuch as possible in this very short trip. All suggestions and help are very welcome!

Taipei 4 Days 3 Nites!

Day 1 (8 Dec, Thur)

1130: Arrive at Changi airport for check-in and lunch

1300: Board the plane!

1800: Arrive at Taipei CKS airport – Grab another 2 copies of Tourist Pass booklets – Look for Freego bus service for transportation to East Dragon hotel – Enquire about return trip

1930: Check-in at East Dragon hotel

1945: (Optional) Search and eat Ah Zong Mian Xian for appetizer!

2015: Chiong to Shilin for dinner and shopping!

2345: Catch the last train back to hotel

Day 2 (9 Dec, Friday)

0730: Wake up!

0815: Breakfast in hotel

0900: Leave for Jiufen – Take MRT to Taipei Main Station – Underground link to Railway Station – Buy tickets to Rui Fang Station (around NT40) – Bus to Jiufen

1030: Reach Jiufen – Things to look out for: Jiufen Chuan Tong Yu Wan (for early lunch), Teahouses with a killer view, City of Sadness site

1300: Proceed to Keelung, Miao Kou Seafood Market – Check out: Crab soup, Butter crab

1430: Proceed to Dan Shui – Take bus back to Ruifang railway station – train back to Taipei main station – MRT to Dan Shui station

1630: Reach Dan Shui – Search for Ah Ma Tie Dan, Ah Gei glass noodles

1800: Proceed to Yu Ren Ma Tou (Take shuttle red bus 26)

1845: Ferry ride back to Danshui

1915: Proceed to Jiantan MRT – Take shuttle bus to Miramar – Take Ferris wheel

2030: Proceed back to Ximending for shopping and dining!

2330: Hotel sweet hotel!

Day 3 (10 Dec, Sat)

0830: Morning call!

0915: Breakfast in hotel

0945: Proceed to Zhongxiao Xinsheng – Guang Hua Complex

1100: Proceed to Zhongxiao Fuxing/Dunhua for shopping

1300: Proceed to Taipei 101 – Taipei City Hall station – explore underground malls as well - Lunch

1530: Proceed to Wu Fen Pu. Explore the wholesale clothes centre for bargains!

1800: Proceed to Raohe Night market for light dinner and shopping

2000: Proceed to Shilin for more food and shopping

0100: Take cab back to hotel for well-deserved rest!

Day 4 (11 Dec)

0730: Mai tu liao, qi lai loh!

0815: Breakfast in hotel, eat outside if bored (highly likely)!

0900: Proceed to Xin Beitou for hotspring bath

0945: Reach Xin Beitou – Search for hotspring resort, preferably 1 hour package

1130: Back to hotel for check out

1230: Lunch at Ximending area – Jalan jalan everywhere!

1530: Reach Taipei Main Station – Take bus back to CKS Airport

1825: Flight back to Singapore!
After coming back from taipei, i seriously think you should extend your stay instead of making urself tired waking up early in the morning and rushing from places to places. It's not worth it. In the end, you are making urself follow the timing instead of enjoying urself in the sights and food of taipei. Some of the timings are not really realistic. I will post my iteneries once i can upload some pics. Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:01 AM   #2688

Hi all, just came back from my trip to Taipei. An overall enjoyable experience partly due to the many contributions from fellow forumers here. Not to forget my Lonely Planet Guide book to Taiwan.

Just a note. Me and my wife is mainly there for shopping, food and scenary. Not much into the museums as I have been to such places in Taipei before and my wife dun really fancy them. The hotel we chose is based on fellow forumers' recommendations which is of course Rainbow hotel - room very small, but didn't bother us as the only time we are back to the hotel is late at night and to sleep. The hotel ain't shabby at all and the staff very helpful and friendly. The location is very good as prior to heading back to the hotel to bath/sleep, we would do late night shopping in Ximenting area until the shop closed at 2300hrs.

We also have luxury of time as we are there for 8Days so we spaced out our iteneries. Actually I planned accordingly to some of your recommendations and things turned out not according to planned sometimes.

I have added our food adventures in another thread! Do check out the goodies! http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1166084

Day 1 - 261105

1845 - Reach CKS Airport, free bus transfer to Rainbow Hotel in Ximenting
2000 - Reach Rainbow Hotel
2100 till past midnight - Shopping/Dinner/dessert/snack at Shilin Night Market
Past midnight - Cab back to Rainbow Hotel

Day 2 - 271105

1100 - SYS Memorial Hall
1200 - Met Taiwan Friend and lunch in Mala Resturant near Taipei City Hall
1330 - Taipei 101 observatory and shopping/dessert in foodcourt
1600 - Wu Fen Pu Fashion Center. Really cheap stuff here. It's not wholesale-like as what some people might think. It's retail shops catering to all sorts of buyers. THE place to head for if you are looking for clothes - Man and Lady.
2000 - Longshan Temple
2030 - Huaxi Night Market/Snake Alley
2130 - Back to Ximenting for beef noodle at Laodong

Day 3 - 281105

1000 - Yehliu sightseeing followed by lunch in seafood resturant
1400 - Transit through Keelung to Jiufen (wanted to go Jinguashi to see goldmine but monday it's closed). Drink tea, ate lots of snacks/light meals here. Bought pineapple cakes, jelly and preserved eggs.
1800 - Keelung MiaoKou Night market for sumptious seafood dinner. Ate lala, prawns and crabs all steam cooked. One of the best dinner we had. Better than Shilin.

Day 4 - 291105

1130 - Din Tai Fung for brunch. Not really spectacular. Standard slightly better than Singapore's version. Lots of Japanese tourists.
1300 - CSK Memorial Hall
1500 - Back to Hotel for break.
1630 - Danshui/Fisherman's Wharves. Took ferry to and fro. Ate Ah Geh's noodle (nothing special) and had fried mushrooms at Danshui. Night market there is more interesting than the wharves. The bridge at the wharves look just like the one at SAFTI MI.

Day 5 - 301105

1130 - Beitou Hot springs area. Went to Di-Re Valley/Hell Valley to see the steam lake.
1230 - Ya Tai Hot Spring bath. Took 1 hr private package. Ya Tai boasts the only center with open roof top private bath. It's good as when the water gets too hot, the wind coming in from the top feels very good. Had a sumptious seafood lunch at Ya Tai consisting of lobster, abalone, asparagus etc. The 1 hr private package also gives you 2 hr usage of the public area.
1800 - Shilin Night Market for more shopping! Our legs don't feel tired anymore after the soothing hot spring bath! My wife particularly loves the ladies accessories at this corner of the night market called City Jungle. It's the cheapest. Better than Wu Fen Pu.

Day 6 - 011205

0830 - Caught the train to Hualien.
1100 - Reach Hualien. Negotiated with taxi driver - 1400 for 2 pax to bring us to main highlights of Taroko Gorge. Someone here mentioned 550 per pax, but i can't get this price even after much negotiation. We went to Eternal shrine, couple of nice bridges, tunnels of 9 turns, swallow ghetto etc.
1500 - Qi Xing Tan (beach) for a fantastic beach view for phototaking.
1600 - Back to Hualien Central to buy famous muah chee. Really tasty if eaten on the spot. The ones we bought back ain't as good.
2010 - Reach back to Taipei. To ximenting to eat famous goose meat at Ya Rou Bian.

Day 7 - 021205

1200 - Had famous Ah Zong Mee Sua (at Ximenting) before heading to Pacific City Living Mall for shopping/snack and phototaking of the futuristic looking sphere shaped shopping center.
1500 - Back to Wu Fen Pu for more shopping!
1800 - Raohe Night market. Good place to have Tong Fen noodle in Mala soup and Pork Ribs soup.

Day 8 - 031205

1200 - Had Ah Zong Mee Sua again at Ximenting. It's really good esp the pork intestines.
1300 - Depart for CKS Airport.

Hope the above can help you plan. Will update/edit the above to provide more info like prices etc when i gather the information from my PDA.
Lastly, if you love taipei, do try Tokyo! It's another shopping/food paradise, and not to mention the quirky and cute Japanese!

Cheers!

Last edited by Kenneth; 04-12-2005 at 07:58 PM..
Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #2689

Rainbow hotel...direct off the main street of XIMENTING.

Wu Fen Pu Fashion Area. It's NOT a warehouse! It's a shopping retail street. Go there and buy all your clothing needs and cheap prices. Bargain plz.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #2690

Can you spot the half submerged head of an Indian Chief? (Taroko Gorge)

Private bath at Ya Tai Hot Spring located in Beitou.

Queen Head at Yehliu.

Longshan Temple. We went inside to pray. Nearby is Huaxi/Snake Alley Night market. Nothing much. Skip this place. Go Raohe/Shilin/Miaokou.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:29 AM   #2691

Food stuff we bought. Mainly from Hualien (Muah chee), Jiufen (Jelly, Eggs and Pineapple cakes) and Yehliu (Salted cuttlefish).

Non-food stuff we bought. As you can see, mainly my wife's stuff - Shoes, scarfs, accessories, cardigans and skirts/top. For myself, some posters and an "expensive" jacket. We picked up some beautiful pebbles from Qi Xing Tan Beach in Hualien.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #2692

Hi Kenneth, Nice post. Nice pics too.

The NT550 would have been for more than two persons,

So, Imelda only bought 5 prs of shoe??

My GF has got so many pairs of shoes, I cant stand it. We go for walks and she ends up buying shoes. They are so cheap in some places here.

How much was Ya Tai and your lunch. Looks like it is worth recomending.

Ciao for now.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #2693

Ya Tai Hotspring in Beitou

Hi Kenneth,

Really envy the time you had in Taipei. I can't afford the luxury, sigh. Tickets all fully booked and I can't extend my stay.

How much did you pay for the 1 hour package in Ya Tai? Is it easy to find in Xin Beitou?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #2694

Hi Kenneth, Nice post. Nice pics too.

The NT550 would have been for more than two persons,

So, Imelda only bought 5 prs of shoe??

My GF has got so many pairs of shoes, I cant stand it. We go for walks and she ends up buying shoes. They are so cheap in some places here.

How much was Ya Tai and your lunch. Looks like it is worth recomending.

Ciao for now.
It's 2790NT for 2 pax. Very good luxurious place and meal. Check out my other post for pics of the food for this meal. Can't have such food at this price in Singapore.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #2695

Hi Kenneth,

Really envy the time you had in Taipei. I can't afford the luxury, sigh. Tickets all fully booked and I can't extend my stay.

How much did you pay for the 1 hour package in Ya Tai? Is it easy to find in Xin Beitou?

Thanks!
Hi, it's NT2790 for 2 pax. It's very easy to find. Just continue walking past Di-Re Valley and ask around. It's famous as we were actually recommended to them by another Hot Spring!

English name is Asia Pacific Resort. www.apresort.com.tw.
Call them and they will pick you up from Beitou and fetch ur back to the MRT. 02-2898-3088. Enjoy!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #2696

Hi,

I will be leaving for Taiwan on 10th December and below is my itinerary. All suggestions and help are very welcome!

I will be going alone to visit a friend there. I will be traveling alone for most of the time; weekdays.

I am thinking of looking for accomodation after I arrived. Some of the hotels (Guoguang, King Regency) that I looked on the web is fully booked on the 10th. Is this advisible?

I am thinking of booking Mei Shuang Hotel however I faced problem with their website. Can someone forward me the phone number?

Thanks in advance!

10th Dec (Sat) - 1650 Arrival in Taipei. Find hotel. Dinner somewhere near hotel. Nightspots - Brown Sugar
11th Dec (Sun) - National Palace Museum
12th Dec (Mon) - Hualien (Walk Around)
13th Dec (Tue) - Hualien (Taroke Gorge)
14th Dec (Wed) - Sun Yat Sun Memorial, CKS Memorial, Zhong Xia Dong Lu (Shopping), Dan Shui, Shi Lin Night Market, MOS
15th Dec (Thu) - Jiu Fen/Kee Lung
16th Dec (Fri) - Guanghua Shang Chang, Carneggies
17th Dec (Sat) - Yang Ming Shan, Tian Mu, Wu Fen Pu, Rao He Night Market, some pub around xin guang san yue
18th Dec (Sun) - Walk around - Gong Guan
19th Dec (Mon) - Depart for Sin.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #2697

Hi,

I will be leaving for Taiwan on 10th December and below is my itinerary. All suggestions and help are very welcome!

I will be going alone to visit a friend there. I will be traveling alone for most of the time; weekdays.

I am thinking of looking for accomodation after I arrived. Some of the hotels (Guoguang, King Regency) that I looked on the web is fully booked on the 10th. Is this advisible?

I am thinking of booking Mei Shuang Hotel however I faced problem with their website. Can someone forward me the phone number?

Thanks in advance!

10th Dec (Sat) - 1650 Arrival in Taipei. Find hotel. Dinner somewhere near hotel. Nightspots - Brown Sugar
11th Dec (Sun) - National Palace Museum
14th Dec (Wed) - Sun Yat Sun Memorial, CKS Memorial, Zhong Xia Dong Lu (Shopping), Dan Shui, Shi Lin Night Market, MOS
15th Dec (Thu) - Jiu Fen/Kee Lung
16th Dec (Fri) - Guanghua Shang Chang, Carneggies
17th Dec (Sat) - Yang Ming Shan, Tian Mu, Wu Fen Pu, Rao He Night Market, some pub around xin guang san yue

Hi, I think Nutty is the best person to advise you on the hotels. I am sorry i can't help. But i can tell you that most of the places you would go, you will definitely pass through Taipei Main Station. So staying near it is always a good choice!

I see you are a pubbing person. One of my regret is that we didn't go any of nightspots in Taipei. Only went to KISS long time back as an 19 yr old. Was good of course!

As for Hualien, it's up to whether you are a nature trekker? If so, you will need 2 days to complete some of the trails in Taroko Gorge. If not, one day will be enough, bargain with a cab to bring you to the key spots. Oh, don't forget Qi Xing Tan beach. It's a lovely beach next to an Air Force base. Pick up some very nice pebbles while you are there.

You can skip Yang Ming Shan and try Yehliu. I was told it's nothing much except a big flowery clock there. Yehliu is more spectacular. You can include it as part of your 15 Dec tour of keelung, jiufen. It's all along the eastern coast of Taiwan.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:47 AM   #2698

I think if you have the time and love nature and weather is good, can try Yang Ming Shan (nearest national park to Taipei City). There's even a ticket you can purchase for NT$60 and you can take bus rides within YMS area unlimited times for the whole day.

There are many hiking trails too but the one I (and unfortunately my wife had to walk with me) took leads up to Cising Garden. I actually wanted to go to the peak of Mt Cising but weather was foggy then and wind was strong, so dropped the idea. I can't throw my wife there alone too. :-P

Here's some pics I took during my "climb"

A typical trail, some parts r very steep so got to be careful not to fall over!

View at Cising Garden

Descending from Cising Garden

BTW, they've somewhat a cheeky signboard there (read the chinese text). Too bad I couldn't see the "Sha Mao" mountain cos of fog too!

Old 05-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #2699

Hi,
Thanks in advance!

10th Dec (Sat) - 1650 Arrival in Taipei. Find hotel. Dinner somewhere near hotel. Nightspots - Brown Sugar This is a Jazz Club
11th Dec (Sun) - National Palace Museum then Tian Mu There are a lot of happenings in the Xinemting area on Sundays afte 1.m..
14th Dec (Wed) - CKS Memorial then Sun Yat Sun Memorial, Zhong Xia Dong Lu (Shopping), Dan Shui, Shi Lin Night Market, MOS
15th Dec (Thu) - Yeliou then Jiu Fen/Kee Lung
16th Dec (Fri) - Guanghua Shang Chang Should take you only half a day if you are interested in Electronics, PC , Peripherials, Magazines, Comics, VCDs. DVDs., Carneggies
17th Dec (Sat) - Yang Ming Shan, Wu Fen Pu, Rao He Night Market, some pub around xin guang san yue
Hi,

ADD:No.52 Jian Guo North Rd, Sec. 1, Taipei Taiwan. R.O.C. 
TEL:(02)8771-3066.URL:Hsuan Mei
FAX :(02)8771-0851.E-mail:service@hsuanmeihotel.com.tw
Old 05-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #2700

Taichung Hotel:For your Info

Posted by Gumbico at TA, who returned recently.

Zaw-Jung Business Hotel , 100, Fu-Hsin Road, Sec. 5 ,Taichung 401, Taiwan, ROC
Tel: 04-2223-5838 Website: Zaw-Jung Business Hotel

This has got to be the BEST budget hotel in Taichung. Our rate is $1100NT and this room is huge (bigger than what we had at Grand Formosa Taroko) and it's clean. Plus it has free internet with network cable in the room. And my favorite part, it is literally right across the street from the rear entance of the train station. If you walk down from the rear station, look across the street and you will see a Bank of Taiwan building, the hotel is right under that sign and the entrance is to the right of the banks entrance.

Last edited by nuttyazn; 05-12-2005 at 10:42 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.