HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #2746

Hi guys, I've been following the threads for my Taipei trip coming 21 Dec. You guys are really great! Help me and my buddies to book air tickets, hotel and plan the itinerary!

Here's our proposed itinerary, gleaned from the many posted here. Please let me have your comments, especially the 2nd day "Scenic Tour". Do we have time to travel to all the places? Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------

21.12.05 [Wed] – ONESTAR [DAY 1]

1630: ETA – Take [Freego] bus to XIMenDing (“XMD”) area: Destination: ONESTAR Hotel

1800: reach ONESTAR Hotel – unpack settle down

1900: Walk around XMD - eat Ah Zong Mian Xian

2100: Leave for Shilin Night Market – Take MRT to Chien Dan station

2300±: leave for Tien Mu Pubs [see mood]

22.12.05 [Thur] – ONESTAR – SCENIC DAY TOUR [DAY 2]

0100: RTU

0730: Reveille – Breakfast around XMD area

0900: ChiuFen – historical tour [train: find out]

1200: Hot Spring at Beitou Yangmingshan –– go to [Xinbeitou MTR STN]

Yangmingshan National Park
[This massive mountainous park on the outskirts of Taipei has waterfalls, volcanic craters, hot springs, and abundant wildlife. Cherry and azalea blossom in spring, and cool, fresh air in the summer are added attractions. Hiking trails, picnic and recreation facilities available.
Buses: 230, 260.]

1600: Danshui – fisherman’s wharf – Danshui old streets

1900/2000±: DINNER if dun mind spending on transport, recommend dinner at Baiyun Shanzhuang on top of Yangmingshan, can see most of Taipei's night scene. quite nice with music on the background.

2200: More shopping at Shilin Night Market?

2200-2300: RTU

23.12.05 [Fri] – ONESTAR
CULTURAL 1/2 DAY TOUR [DAY 3]

0700: reveille

0800: You Tiao and Guo Tie Breakfast at ___________ [find out on first day recce]

1000: Miramar Ferris Wheel

[My suggestion is take MRT to Yuangshan. Exit #1 cross road diagonally to Soccer Stadium bus stop. From there you can take: 21, Red 2 both very frequent. or 247, 287. Pronunced (May Li Hwa) From there to return to Taipei Station or Ximenting,take the 247 or 287 from across the road (Signboard should read- Hengyang Rd) ]

1300: return to XMD area – window shop etc

1530: leave for CKS

1600: CKS Memorial Hall – change of guards [every hour from

1700: Lung Shan Temple [open till when]
Built in 1738, this is one of the best temples to see in Taipei.. Examine the intricately carved stone dragon pillars, roof and caves. Watch the devout worship a variety of ancient gods. Visit the nearby Huahsi Street Night Market.
Buses: O West, 9, 24, 25, 38, 49, 62, 65, 231, 234, 264, 310, 503, 601.

1900: Huaxi Jie Night Market [walk from Lung Shan Temple]

2130: back to ONESTAR – shower/makeup

HUA SHAN MUSIC HALL
2F, 1, Section 1, Ba-De Road
Tel: (02) 2351-6003
Hours: 12 pm -12 am, Tuesday to Sunday
Live Performances: 9 pm- 11:30 pm

0200 - RTU

24.12.05[Sat] – ONESTAR [DAY 4]

0800: reveille

0900:

1000: XMD – Xing Guang San Yue – Presidential Office? / Taipei Railway Station/ Taipei 101 / Taipei World Trade Centre / New York New York /

LUNCH at vicinity of XMD /Taipei 101

Continue with above until 1700: back to hotel to rest/shower

DINNER: somewhere we can spend Xmas or proceed to club after Xmas – toss between MOS & PLUSH

Celebrate Xmas – Where?
MINISTRY OF SOUND! http://www.mos-taipei.com/EN/home.htm [MoS Taipei
No.310, LenQun 3rd. Rd., Taipei
Tel:+886-2-85021111]
0400±: RTU

25.12.05 [Sun] - ONESTAR [DAY5]

1000 /1100±: reveille

1200: Brunch around Taipei 101 + New York New York + Warner vicinity

1630: Wufenpu – shopping for clothes etc

Find those dessert places to eat desert

BROWN SUGAR

101, SongRen Rd.
Hours: Mon-Sun 6 pm-2 am; kitchen hours 6:30 pm-9 pm.
Minimum charge: Weekdays NT$300; Fri & Sat NT$480; Holidays NT$400

1900: Dinner at Raohe Night Market or PLUSH?

PLUSH!

138, BaDer Rd., Sec.4, 12F.
(02) 3762-1600
Hours: 11am- 9pm (Dining); 9pm-4am (Club)
Charge: Minimum NT$350 weekdays, NT$700 weekends and holidays. Lounge reservation required.

26.12.05[Mon] - ONESTAR [DAY 6]

1000: Taipei 101 area – last min shopping

1100: Farewell lunch for IP/LKM

1330: IP/LKM leaves for CKS Airport

1650: IP/KM leaves for SG – NY happening in TPE!!

27.12.05[Tue] - ONESTAR [DAY 7]

NY’s personal itinerary

1100: NY checks out Hyatt

1400: NY departs for SG
Old 13-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #2747

HI,

Welcome to the forum.
You are back tracking a lot here. i will need some time to fine tune it so you wont waste too much time travelling back and forth. Will post later or tomorrow.
Lots of Dessert places in Shihlin ,Ximenting and Raohe Street market And these :
Ice Monster
http://www.icemonster.com.tw/

Eastern Ice Store:
http://www.efy.com.tw/

What's On in Taipei Pubs and NIght spots, check this out now and again before you leave for the current deals. many places have Ladies Nights and your comment on "Shower and makeup" could put you in that category.
Lots of specials for foreigners as well.

http://www.taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/index.htm

Day 2: Best to drop Jioufen. Go to YMS in the morning (Best time) by Bus 260 , then to Beitou for the Hot Springs by bus 230, then to Danshui by MRT from Beitou,and then back to YMS for your dinner (Before you head for dinner to YMS, check the weather, if it is cold and very cloudy, no view) So plan an alternative.

One Star now Known as Stars Hotel (Someone must have told them that One Star is the lowest grade for a Hotel)
Stars Hotel

Shopping Areas in Taipei:
http://crazy_azn1.tripod.com/taiwan/id2.html
Tourist spots , Shopping Areas, Night Markets you can visit by MRT:
http://crazy_azn1.tripod.com/taiwan/id5.html

Last edited by nuttyazn; 13-12-2005 at 11:05 PM..
Old 13-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #2748

Wink

HI,

Welcome to the forum.
You are back tracking a lot here. i will need some time to fine tune it so you wont waste too much time travelling back and forth. Will post later or tomorrow.
Lots of Dessert places in Shihlin ,Ximenting and Raohe Street market And these :
Ice Monster
http://www.icemonster.com.tw/

Eastern Ice Store:
http://www.efy.com.tw/

What's On in Taipei Pubs and NIght spots, check this out now and again before you leave for the current deals. many places have Ladies Nights and your comment on "Shower and makeup" could put you in that category.
Lots of specials for foreigners as well.

http://www.taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/index.htm
Hi nuttyazn,

I know I can always count on you for your valuable comments. For the "Scenic Tour" on day 2, we basically whipped out a map and planned our route from East (Jiufen) to West (Danshui). In the middle, we hope to squeeze in a HotSpring bath at Beitou. It'll be great if you can guide us on how to get from place to place.

Thanks for the tips on the Ice Stores.

Erm, we are 3 guys travelling and the "Shower and make up" was sort of a funny thing to get prepared for a happening (hopefully) nite out! hehe

For this trip, we are planning to have a mix of everthing: scenic, cultural and city life (read: clubs!).

Oh for the benefit of readers, we are putting up at Onestar hotel. Had a terrible time looking for a suitable place to put us up for the entire stretch. Rainbow, Royal Castle, etc were quite booked. Onestar could only give us 21-23Dec initially. With a stroke of luck, I got a call on Monday to say they can offer us a room for weekday at NT1620 and weekend at NT1920. Plus NT500 for additional bed.

Needless to say, I confirmed straightaway! No need to place deposit. Just put in my name. Is it safe? Fear that they cancel last minute and we'll have to sleep at a suana for the rest of the holiday....
Old 13-12-2005, 11:46 PM   #2749

Hi nuttyazn,

I know I can always count on you for your valuable comments. For the "Scenic Tour" on day 2, we basically whipped out a map and planned our route from East (Jiufen) to West (Danshui). In the middle, we hope to squeeze in a HotSpring bath at Beitou. It'll be great if you can guide us on how to get from place to place.

Thanks for the tips on the Ice Stores.

Erm, we are 3 guys travelling and the "Shower and make up" was sort of a funny thing to get prepared for a happening (hopefully) nite out! hehe

For this trip, we are planning to have a mix of everthing: scenic, cultural and city life (read: clubs!).

Oh for the benefit of readers, we are putting up at Onestar hotel. Had a terrible time looking for a suitable place to put us up for the entire stretch. Rainbow, Royal Castle, etc were quite booked. Onestar could only give us 21-23Dec initially. With a stroke of luck, I got a call on Monday to say they can offer us a room for weekday at NT1620 and weekend at NT1920. Plus NT500 for additional bed.

Needless to say, I confirmed straightaway! No need to place deposit. Just put in my name. Is it safe? Fear that they cancel last minute and we'll have to sleep at a suana for the rest of the holiday....
Don't worry, this is what i do, i booked the Onestar hotel by putting my name .. that all ... anyway, u need to cross the road and u wl reach Ximenting ... and maybe a 5 to 10 min walk to MRT ... quite good location ...
Old 13-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #2750

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments on the exchange rate. My fren just changed at 19.6 and I was hoping to get the same rate

Hi Taediumv,

Lucky you! I called up Onestar and the receptionist asked me to wire money over. So I din take up the rooms even tho they were available.
Old 13-12-2005, 11:57 PM   #2751

Ha taediumv .. this is what we bought during our Taiwan trip .. i walk until my leg almost break ... but my wife still can carry on ...
Old 14-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #2752
Supremacy Member

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments on the exchange rate. My fren just changed at 19.6 and I was hoping to get the same rate

Hi Taediumv,

Lucky you! I called up Onestar and the receptionist asked me to wire money over. So I din take up the rooms even tho they were available.
Wow ... 19.6 is a good rate. Do you happen to know where did your friend change the money?
Old 14-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #2753
Supremacy Member

You can try Good Ground Hotel:
http://www.eztravel.com.tw/eztravel...ITY_CD=TP2&BID=
Book Directly online is cheaper than direct to the Hotel according to Hotel Staff. So far reports: Nothing fancy but clean and safe with regular amenities Close toTaipei main Station.

Last quote for Rainbow for triple was NTD2180 .Give them a short call and check:886-2-23119193 or Fax:886-2-2388 5011
Rainbow Hotel

Another Hotel East Dragon Hotel: Very close by and Nice and clean: Last quote for triple was NTD2400/-
Tel:886-2-23116969 Fax:23116967
East Dragon Hotel

For Rainbow and East Dragon: Nett with breakfast.

P.S. If you dont want Chinese Porrige for breakfast every day,ask for Western breakfast or you will get Chinese breakfast everyday.
Wow, thanks for the info nuttyazn, looking through the website now
Old 14-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #2754

Wow ... 19.6 is a good rate. Do you happen to know where did your friend change the money?
U can get that rate at people's park complex....
Old 14-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #2755

Hi nuttyazn,

Just give them a call the day before to reconfirm especially that you are definitely going to be there. Many people have done that and no worries.

(Shower and Makeup) Really threw me a curved ball there

NTD1680 is room without bath Tub but a couple of forumers made a mention of an excellent Massage Shower!!!
Old 14-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #2756
Supremacy Member

U can get that rate at people's park complex....

Great! Thank you for the information.
Old 14-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #2757

At Parkway Parade but dun have that rate anymore.

Just saw last night's news on counterfeit NT notes. So scary ...
Old 14-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #2758

huh? what news? can share with us? cos i m going to change e $$$ most prob this weekend.....dun wanna get conned....didn't watch news this week....how to differniate?

ya....from yahoo.com.sg go finance....at the bottom of the page, u can check for exchange rates....it's the rates from a major bank....but when u go change, usually it'll not be that rate due to the taxes or the commission of the banks....or at money-changers....but it's a very good indication of the rates in s'pore.....from my past 2 yrs experience, the rates shown at yahoo and the rate given by moneychangers will only have a diff of 0.2%...that is, if rate in yahoo is 19.96...then on average, you can change at 19.76 outside....the $ shouldn't be too low eg:19.6.....and hmm...the best moneychangers i have met thus far(rates quite good) are the ones at Bridge Road-Jalan Sultan, besides 7-11, another one near Penisula and Capitol Building...just opposite/beside Bata shoe shop, the one at Level 1 of Bugis Junction, besides Top-shop,at POSB atm, all these have good rates....the diff only less than 0.2%.......as for Golden Mile, it's only good if u changing ringgits...otherwise,the rates aren't that great.....and they can be quite rude....as for people park complex, they r also quite good.....

u guys know of other places that usually gives good rates? maybe can share share...haha....
Old 14-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #2759

also, hmm...i felt that there's a lot of us going to taiwan.....maybe we can kinda of get together....cos sometimes there r a lot of pics or stuff that we may not be able to share due to maybe space or time constraints....felt that it maybe good.....also, cos there're many ppl who always go there...maybe there're some $$$ left or loose change, we can kinda meet up to exchange or buy over...it's sometimes better than doing it at moneychangers......also, we can ask ard for help eg:get others to maybe buy back something for us?

jus my tots...what di u all think?
Old 14-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #2760

Just check the rate both over at yahoo and xe.com are all 20.XXX today
yesterday I did check up two of my my neighourhood money changer and was quoted 19.3
I suppose the rate will be better soon and can get better rate in town, maybe places like SLS, mustapha, chinatown and change alley....
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.