HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #2866

How abt tell Rainbow to cancel yr booking and refund u cos no room was booked. Then go book some other hotel... Else without a confirmed accomodation, it is pretty stressful to go there.
maybe u email Royal Castle hotel
hotel23831123@yahoo.com.tw
Good suggestion as Royal Castle is part of the same group of hotels. When is your Arrv date??
Old 30-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #2867
Arch-Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=nuttyazn][QUOTE=tidalstorm]How abt tell Rainbow to cancel yr booking and refund u cos no room was booked. Then go book some other hotel... Else without a confirmed accomodation, it is pretty stressful to go there.

maybe u email Royal Castle hotel
hotel23831123@yahoo.com.tw

Good suggestion as Royal Castle is part of the same group of hotels. When is your Arrv date??
Thanks Nuttyazn, finally managed to call thru. Now can rest my heart cos our booking was successful. Now is to plan the itinerary. You guys really very detailed on tat and lots of nice pics!
Old 31-12-2005, 12:23 AM   #2868

hi there....hmm...i went to the website...but it didn't state whether it offers packages to taroko gorge and hualien ocean park....do u happen to know whether they offer it?
which package do you mean? I took up the taxi driver offered and he went to the same places (and more ) as the tour buses that we usually looked at.
Old 31-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #2869
Supremacy Member

Smile

Hey guys im posting from rainbow hotel now !!

Going to new year countdown later ...

Just a reminder to all ... DO NOT TAKE UP THE OCEAN VISTA HOTEL PACKAGE OFFERED BY RAINBOW. It totally sux! The hotel is damn rundown .. old and most impt.. DIRTY!
Me and my gf went there, saw the LAYERS of dirt in the washroom, really cannot take it, and demended to check out the room 1 hour later. In the end, they force us to pay a 500 NT penanlty fees. Damn frustrating!

In the end, we went to another hotel very near to the station, called Qian Tai Fan Dian, much cleaner than ocean vista! Cost us 1000NT for a standard room per nite. We also cancelled the original Taroko Gorge package (1 day tour) which cost us 988NT, and booked the package offered by Qian Tai, only cost us 700NT.

Thus, i strongly encourage everyone to stay away from the above hotel i mentioned.
More reports when im back.

Cheers
Old 31-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #2870

A-1 MoneyChanger
#B1-K3, SCOTTS SHOPPING CENTRE
PICNIC FOOD COURT
67373218 10am ~10pm
Attn:Salim
Today :SGD1-NT19.60

Last edited by nuttyazn; 31-12-2005 at 08:50 PM..
Old 03-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #2871
D69

I just came back from taiwan trip (29/12/05). Missed the countdown but spent christmas there. The weather is not as cold as before 24th, when i arrived it was just right, no need thick clothes, but as we toured, the weather turned abit colder with rain.

The last night we spent at taipei was raining at night, but we still went to Shi lin, not so crowded and vendors willing to give discount cuz of rain hahaha! Other than that, not much clothes to buy for gals but for guys ok la can buy long sleeved shirts, much cheaper there than here.

Besides Taipei we went to Kaoshiung and Taichung as well. Reccommendation: Dont go for tour packages anymore, even if it is so called free and easy. We book the F&E from Dynasty Travel and bad points are we spend alot of time travelling on bus and being forced to go to shops like Linzhi, Pearls, Honey and Pi Shius.. total waste of time!

Since Taiwan is Chinese speaking, if you are Chinese, just DIY, book ur hotels and tickets urself even if it cost abit more. Reccommended places to go:

Taipei:

All the night markets
Jiufen
Beitou

Taichung

Fong Jia Jiang Night Market

Kaoshiung

Sin Jie Jiang Night Market
Liu He Night Market

Taroko Gorge

These are some of the places we went that were better.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #2872

Updates on NT$ Rates.
as of 2 jan 2006

Chinatown PPC level1 (beside the escalator)
exchange rate was S$1 = NT$19.6
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #2873

Updates on NT$ Rates.
as of 2 jan 2006

Chinatown PPC level1 (beside the escalator)
exchange rate was S$1 = NT$19.6
haha...me too.....
lucky plaza level 1(near an electronic shop/indian man) : S$1=NT$19.6...but must ask ard cos a few shops at the same area quoted lower $....
Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #2874
Supremacy Member

Hi people,

I came back from Taiwan on 1st January but ain't got the time to post till now.

I have summarised the highlights of my trip. It was a great one due to the help provided here! Hence, I am here to return the help i got! Thanks.

Day 1
25th December 2005
- Shi Lin night market

Day 2
26th December 2005
- Bought 8p.m train tickets to Hua Lien on 27th December 2005 via Zhi Qiang Hao
- Wu Lai lao jie, waterfall and Aboriginal village
- Gong Guang night market
- Proceed to Hua Lien via 8p.m train.
- Stayover at Hua Lien

Day 3
27th December 2005
- Tour highlight includes Marble Factory, Swallow Grotto, Shakadang trail, Taroko Gorge, Ci Mu bridge, Martyr’s Shrine temple and Qi Xing Tan
- Shopped at Hua Lien night market
- Took 7:28p.m train back to Taipei via Zhi Qiang Hao

Day 4
28th December 2005
- Hotspring bath at Xin Bei Tou
- Tien Mu Circle
- Dan Shui lao jie
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Valentine’s Bridge

Day 5
29th December 2005
- Shanghai Dumpling restaurant in Breeze Centre
- Guang Hua Shang Chang
- Jacky Wu’s dessert shop (The Sweet Dynasty – Tang Chao)
- Jay’s shop (Omni)
- Wu Fen Pu
- RaoHe street night market
- Miramar ferris wheel
- Shi Lin night market

Day 6
30th December 2005
- Ding Tai Feng
- National Palace Museum
- Explore Xi Men Ding

Day 7
31st December 2005
- Tapei 101, New York New York and Warner Village
- Tried Mr Donut
- Wu Fen Pu
- Tried Moustache Zhang’s Lu Rou fan and Ji Rou fan
- Bought Tai yang bing at Lao Tian Lu’s shop in Xi Men Ding
- Tried PS Bu Bu (The antique car theme restaurant that Dao Ming Shi brought Shan Cai to in Metoer Garden)
- Went for the New Year countdown in Taipei CityHall

Day 8
1st January 2006
- Last minute shopping at Xi Men Ding
- Managed to catch Cyndi Wang’s mini concert in Xi Men Ding square in front of Rainbow hotel and Watson’s
- Took 3p.m FreeGo to airport
- Home Sweet Home

For those who are going soon ... enjoy!

Last edited by ralfale; 08-01-2006 at 01:30 AM..
Old 08-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #2875
High Supremacy Member

I just came back from taiwan trip (29/12/05). Missed the countdown but spent christmas there. The weather is not as cold as before 24th, when i arrived it was just right, no need thick clothes, but as we toured, the weather turned abit colder with rain.

The last night we spent at taipei was raining at night, but we still went to Shi lin, not so crowded and vendors willing to give discount cuz of rain hahaha! Other than that, not much clothes to buy for gals but for guys ok la can buy long sleeved shirts, much cheaper there than here.

Besides Taipei we went to Kaoshiung and Taichung as well. Reccommendation: Dont go for tour packages anymore, even if it is so called free and easy. We book the F&E from Dynasty Travel and bad points are we spend alot of time travelling on bus and being forced to go to shops like Linzhi, Pearls, Honey and Pi Shius.. total waste of time!

Since Taiwan is Chinese speaking, if you are Chinese, just DIY, book ur hotels and tickets urself even if it cost abit more. Reccommended places to go:

Taipei:

All the night markets
Jiufen
Beitou

Taichung

Kaoshiung

Liu He Night Market

Taroko Gorge

How come your F & E include transport and guided tour?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #2876

Hey Ralfale,

That was a pretty good trip you had, you covered a lot of places. Thanks for your report.
So how did you enjoy the countdown, wasn;t it Packed!!!!!
Next day report by police was 250K in the city square and another 150K in the side streets total of 400k people out that night. Best news was no reported injuries!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #2877
Master Member

anyone going during the Chinese New Year , that is from 29 Jan to 4 feb..?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #2878

As the CNY draws closer, there will be reports on What stores remain open or When they will open after the Holiday. I will post it here as soon as possible.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #2879
Supremacy Member

Hey Ralfale,

That was a pretty good trip you had, you covered a lot of places. Thanks for your report.
So how did you enjoy the countdown, wasn;t it Packed!!!!!
Next day report by police was 250K in the city square and another 150K in the side streets total of 400k people out that night. Best news was no reported injuries!!!!

Yah countdown was great. Atmosphere definitely better than Singapore. Lots of pple! Taking train back to ximen is a torture queued almost an hour to get to the train. LOL But still, it was great. Will definitely go back next time if there's a chance.

For those going to taiwan soon, some experiences from me ..

1) Bus trips are 15NT flat. Sometimes its easier to take direct bus from destination A to B then to take the train. For eg, i took bus from RaoHe street night market to the ferris wheel. There pple there are friendly. Just seek their advice which bus to take most likely they'll be able to advice you. On the bus, there're LCD display stating which stop is that. For instance, 'Taipei city mall train station'. For those landmark places like mrt station, places of interests, most likely at that bus stop the panel will display that building place. If you are really scare u miss the stop, can always ask the bus driver to call you when you've reached the place

2) As mentioned in previous thread, do avoid ocean vista hotel recommended by rainbow. I highly suspect rainbow staff have commision when they introduce clients to ocean vista. When i reach there at nite ard 11pm, the manager drove his car to pick us up at the train station. Took ard 15 min to reach to hotel. The place was quite dark and isolated. Quite far from the main busy around in hua lien. Hotel room was bad. Reminds me of those scenes from ghost story. lol. I don't even dare to take pics of the hotel in case i captured something i shouldn't. LOL The hotel i changed to 'Qian Tai hotel' is definitely much better. Price around the same also and location is just 5 min walk from trian station!

3) My Wu Lai waterfall trip was quite disappointing, which made me cancelled my original plans to go jiu fen see the waterfall there. The waterfall is small! But after asking the locals, i was told that if want to see the full scale of the waterfall (most water), have to go in feb.

4) For those interested in the P.S Bu Bu antique car restaurant i mentioned, there's only 1 'car' in the restaurant that have the dining table and chair INSIDE the car. The rest of them are only partial 'cars' which the dining tables are outside the car. (not sure if u all understand what i meant haha). Anyway, my advice is if u really planning to go, do ask rainbow staff to book for u in advance as that only 'car' is really hot. Really need advance booking to get it.

I think that's abt all i recalled for now ....

Last edited by ralfale; 08-01-2006 at 01:19 PM..
Old 08-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #2880

Taipei:

All the night markets
Jiufen
Beitou

Taichung

Kaoshiung

Liu He Night Market

Taroko Gorge

Same here. I was on 7 day package tour but I'm with Namho. I think I was there at the same time with you...hehe. The only thing that I enjoyed being on package tour is that I get to stay at 5-star hotels. But we didn't get to enjoy the facilities as we reached the hotel late and had to check out way too early to rush to another place.

When I first went to Taiwan, taipei only, I complained of having to walk too much. Now with tour package, I realised too much time on bus, sat until my legs hurt! But one good thing is, I don't have to worry about buying too much things and having to carry them around all day. I couldn't linger longer at places where I like more and was forced to linger around places where they start selling us very expensive items like Lu Tai (deer foetus), honey, etc.

At least from the brochures I took at the hotel would be enough to help me get around Taiwan (to the tourist area) next time...(especially Tainan). (When we went to the tour agencies, they keep saying that it's very difficult to travel around Taiwan without the tour guide, rubbish. Even Jiufen is very easy with the details provided by people in this forum(even more detail than the ones told by the tourist helpdesk) and it saved us almost NT1000 for 4hr guided tour!)

I love the sea view when travelling at Nan Hui Gong Lu (too bad can't alight to take photos)

Great International Buffet Dinner at Hualien:

Views taken while travelling along NanHui Highway:

Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.