HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #2881
pop
Master Member

I couldn't linger longer at places where I like more and was forced to linger around places where they start selling us very expensive items
this is one thing i hate about packaged tour - waste your time to bring you to places to shop for things they can earn commission on. the other thing being the way the tour guide 'demand' tips. i'll be glad to tip if service is really good but most times it becomes like a compulsory thing and the way they do it always leaves a bad taste.

btw, that hotel in hualian, is it called mei lun or something, i think I passed by it the last time.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 PM   #2882

hi pple...will be going taipei in this coming may.
can i just check with you guys whether this mei shiuan hotel is gd? The website says room rates starts from NT650. Any hidden charges like taxes?

or what other hotels can i try with a <$50 per night budget.
Pls help. Thank you!!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 AM   #2883

this is one thing i hate about packaged tour - waste your time to bring you to places to shop for things they can earn commission on. the other thing being the way the tour guide 'demand' tips. i'll be glad to tip if service is really good but most times it becomes like a compulsory thing and the way they do it always leaves a bad taste.

btw, that hotel in hualian, is it called mei lun or something, i think I passed by it the last time.
Yup yup! It's called Mei Lun (Parkview Hotel) =)
Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #2884

Been reading through the excellent forum and itineraries! Will be in Taipei this weekend
Some questions hope you guys can help out:

1) Any particular places to find good men's clothes? Or should I just hit all the night markets?
2) Was thinking of trying the hot springs... would the public (i.e. cheap) ones do at Beitou?
3) Heard that there's some sort of "EZ link" card we can buy from the stations (?) to use for trains/buses over the few days there... is it advisable?

Many thanks =)
Old 10-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #2885
Supremacy Member

Been reading through the excellent forum and itineraries! Will be in Taipei this weekend
Some questions hope you guys can help out:

1) Any particular places to find good men's clothes? Or should I just hit all the night markets?
2) Was thinking of trying the hot springs... would the public (i.e. cheap) ones do at Beitou?
3) Heard that there's some sort of "EZ link" card we can buy from the stations (?) to use for trains/buses over the few days there... is it advisable?

Many thanks =)
1) Man's clothes everywhere also got like the retail shops along the streets. But for cheap clothes in wu fen pu, 90% are woman's clothes

2) Public ones expects you to be fully naked Me and my gf too shy for that, so we booked a private room instead. Prices are around 50 SGD for 2 person?
But of cos, public pools are much cheaper.

3) There's a 1 day pass which cost 200NT (if i remembered correctly). However, i dont think its worth it since i don't spent 200NT to travel in a day.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #2886

hi guys..after going thru 193pages of posting..i must say that it is extremely useful

but it makes me confuse about rainbow and ocean vista. so rainbow is not bad just that it always gets fully booked and so they recommmend another hotel whh is ocean vista and apparently it sucks?

Last edited by tamahome81; 10-01-2006 at 02:41 PM..
Old 10-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #2887

3) There's a 1 day pass which cost 200NT (if i remembered correctly). However, i dont think its worth it since i don't spent 200NT to travel in a day.
The one ralfale is toking abt is sort of the tourist one day pass. Ya, usually I don't even get to spend NT200 on MRT transport coz at one stop you already can spend quite some time there.

In Taipei, they have a card similar to SG ezlink card. It's called "You1 You2" card, ie EasyCard. You have to pay NT200 as deposit for the card (if I remember correctly). Minimum top-up amt is NT500. So total NT700 for one card. On your last day you can get a full refund of the residual amount at the MRT control station.^^
It's much more convienient than to keep buying single trip tickets from the machine (which means you need to carry alot of coins) and it gives a small discount just like when we use our ezlink card in SG.

Types of MRT Cards (Chinese Version)

Types of card in English

I think this card has mentioned in previous postings.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #2888
Master Member

just came back as well fr taipei as well, the ez link card cost 500Nt with (100Nt as deposit and 400Nt in stored value). Can refund everything back including the deposit.

Went for a guided tour as well but got extended for free and easy.... Have stayed in Paradise and flowers hotel..... Paradise hotel room ok but toilet cmi... flowers hotel location quite good (btw, I stayed in the old flower hotel). Room ok but toilet very small....

As for the guided tour thingy, I found that it is quite good. I know sit inside the bus quite long and can be very sian also but I realised that I gain quite a fair bit of knowledge in terms of history and cultures... Maybe my tour guide is good....

Did not buy any clothes as all selling winter wear... Managed to see Yang Cheng Lin and Zhang Shao Han during my stay there.... Overall, the trip is good.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #2889
Supremacy Member

hi guys..after going thru 193pages of posting..i must say that it is extremely useful

but it makes me confuse about rainbow and ocean vista. so rainbow is not bad just that it always gets fully booked and so they recommmend another hotel whh is ocean vista and apparently it sucks?
Hi, rainbow is good for its location. But the room is quite small though. Overall i'll recommend it.

Ocean vista is located in hua lien. I went there for overnite stay so that i can go for a full day tour of taroko gorge the following day.
Definitely not recommended as u can see from my earlier post

Enjoy your trip =)
Old 10-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #2890

can also try ONE star....newer than rainbow hotel..i tink its the newest hotel in Ximending...its not far, jus a 10 mins walk to the ximending shopping district....( theres a chio receptionist there....hhe...)
http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/...2/img_1664.jpg

NT1680 for a twin room.....if im not wrong....

As for the hotspring, can try SHUI DU hotspring at xinbeitou, can wear swimsuit to enjoy the hotspring...theres also a naked pool at basement....various of offer three....outdoor/indoor public pool, private pool, couple suite pool.....etc

the hotspring url: http://www.spaspringresort.com.tw/hotel.php

Last edited by cyngeiw; 10-01-2006 at 09:44 PM..
Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #2891

can also try ONE star....newer than rainbow hotel..i tink its the newest hotel in Ximending...its not far, jus a 10 mins walk to the ximending shopping district....( theres a chio receptionist there....hhe...)

As for the hotspring, can try SHUI DU hotspring at xinbeitou, can wear swimsuit to enjoy the hotspring...theres also a naked pool at basement....various of offer three....outdoor/indoor public pool, private pool, couple suite pool.....etc

bro u got the url for one star hotel?
NT1680inclusive of all taxes and weekends?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #2892
Supremacy Member

bro u got the url for one star hotel?
NT1680inclusive of all taxes and weekends?
The link for One Star Hotel is www.wonstar.com.tw
Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #2893

The link for One Star Hotel is www.wonstar.com.tw
Sorry, wrong info.
Weekend rates a bit higher.
One Star Hotel Now known as "Stars Hotel"
http://www.starshotel.com.tw/en/index.php
Stars Hotel
82, Chung-Hua Road. Sec. 1, Taipei, 108
Tel:886-2-2382-0889 Fax:886-2-2382-0719

(Note:Booking by fax, phonel.)
Old 11-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #2894
Supremacy Member

Sorry, wrong info.
Weekend rates a bit higher.
One Star Hotel Now known as "Stars Hotel"
http://www.starshotel.com.tw/en/index.php
Stars Hotel
82, Chung-Hua Road. Sec. 1, Taipei, 108
Tel:886-2-2382-0889 Fax:886-2-2382-0719

(Note:Booking by fax, phonel.)

I thought the link www.wonstar.com.tw and http://www.starshotel.com.tw/en/index.php links to the same website?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #2895
D69

I went to the Asia Pacific Hotspring Resort... its all the way to the end or top. There seems to be a free shuttle bus going there from Beitou station (not Xing Beitou station). Quite pricey but shiok, 1200NT for a private room.

Dun take their makan though, quite ex. For dinner, I went down abit and on the left ( while going down) spotted a few makan or cafes went there to see, got this small Ramen shop not bad, not hard to spot cuz quite crowded.

One bowl is around 150NT (extra big). THey got something like a side dish called hard boiled egg, they boil it in the hot spring water, then mix it with some sort of Jap sauce, seaweed etc. Beri nice!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.