here are the Beitou photos:

Asia Pacific Hotspring Resort:
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photo...1305_0_ALB.jpg

The ramen shop we ate at:

Old 11-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #2897

I thought the link www.wonstar.com.tw and http://www.starshotel.com.tw/en/index.php links to the same website?
Ha!! Ha!! Ha!! You are right. I tried that link yesterday and got a No page response ! Today it worked .I guess these guys really cant make up their minds!! One Star to Wonstar to Stars Funny
Old 12-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #2898

D69, ur pics cant be accessed man...

anyway...i miss taipei soooo much....dunno when can i go again man....must really work hard now!!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #2899

I went to the Asia Pacific Hotspring Resort... its all the way to the end or top. There seems to be a free shuttle bus going there from Beitou station (not Xing Beitou station). Quite pricey but shiok, 1200NT for a private room.

Dun take their makan though, quite ex. For dinner, I went down abit and on the left ( while going down) spotted a few makan or cafes went there to see, got this small Ramen shop not bad, not hard to spot cuz quite crowded.

One bowl is around 150NT (extra big). THey got something like a side dish called hard boiled egg, they boil it in the hot spring water, then mix it with some sort of Jap sauce, seaweed etc. Beri nice!
so how to i get to asia pacific hotspring?
if go by mrt...should alight at xinbeitou or beitou?
NT1200is inclusive of one night accom w hot spring inside the room or what?
btw..are the hot spring there really hot?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #2900

Hey guys im posting from rainbow hotel now !!

Going to new year countdown later ...

Just a reminder to all ... DO NOT TAKE UP THE OCEAN VISTA HOTEL PACKAGE OFFERED BY RAINBOW. It totally sux! The hotel is damn rundown .. old and most impt.. DIRTY!
Me and my gf went there, saw the LAYERS of dirt in the washroom, really cannot take it, and demended to check out the room 1 hour later. In the end, they force us to pay a 500 NT penanlty fees. Damn frustrating!

In the end, we went to another hotel very near to the station, called Qian Tai Fan Dian, much cleaner than ocean vista! Cost us 1000NT for a standard room per nite. We also cancelled the original Taroko Gorge package (1 day tour) which cost us 988NT, and booked the package offered by Qian Tai, only cost us 700NT.

Thus, i strongly encourage everyone to stay away from the above hotel i mentioned.
More reports when im back.

Cheers
hmm..so taroko gorge is a must go for hua lian rite? what else is gd in hua lian?
do u think its fesible for me to take a train down to hua lian from taipei and reach there at night.
check into hotel and go for the taroko gorge tour the nex morning? after tour den i take trrain back to taipei again

u gt the url for qian tai fan dian? or how to write it in chinese?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #2901

Thanks for the replies! Two days to departure!! And feeling somewhat unprepared.
Changed at 19.4 at Northpoint money changer (probably not a good rate but it was convenient).

Have a rough idea of what to do but it's really rough... additions/suggestions appreciated!

Day 1 (Sat 14 Jan)
Arrive at 5.40pm - check into Cosmos hotel.
Head for Shilin Night Market (via MRT yah?) for dinner/shopping.
*anything else around here? would like to visit a nice casual lounge/pub or something quirky =P*

Day 2 (Sun 15 Jan) Taipei City
Not sure about the orientation but probably Ximending/CKS Memorial/Zhongshan/Taipei 101/Dihua Market... just around the city centre I guess? Then Beitou for hot spring (prob the public one) to wind down.

Day 3 (Mon 16 Jan) - Keelung/Jinguashi/Jiufen
Heard about this area and the fab night market but unsure of how to plan for this day... any ideas which I should go first and how (by bus)? Probably will take the train to Keelung for a start =)

Day 4 (Tue 17 Jan) - Danshui

Get a train to Danshui in the morning - Longshan Temple/Fort San Domingo?/Huwei Fort/Martyrs' Shrine/Fisherman's Wharf - could someone help provide directions to the forts/Martyrs' Shrine? Then more night-marketing probably

Day 5 (Wed 18 Jan) -

Unplanned...

Appreciate any inputs (places I can drop by/should give a miss)! Thanks =)
Old 13-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #2902

Hi,
Day 1 (Sat 14 Jan)
Arrive at 5.40pm - check into Cosmos hotel.
Head for Shilin Night Market MRT to Jiantan stop

Day 2 (Sun 15 Jan) Taipei City
Not sure about the orientation but probably Ximending/CKS Memorial/Zhongshan/Taipei 101/Dihua Market... just around the city centre I guess? Then Beitou for hot spring (prob the public one) to wind down.
CKS Memorial Hall (MRT CKS), Longshan Temple (MRT LT), 101, Warner Village(MRT Taipei City Hall) Taipei Main Station to Dihua St, a bit of a walk but you will pass a few interesting areas. Back to Ximenting. Read following story:
Taipei Times: CNY Shopping for Goodies

Day 3 (Mon 16 Jan) - Keelung/Jinguashi/Jiufen
Heard about this area and the fab night market but unsure of how to plan for this day... any ideas which I should go first and how (by bus)? Probably will take the train to Keelung for a start =)

You can take a bus direct to Jinguashi from Taipei then go to Jioufen and end up in Keelung to go to Miaokow (walking distance from Station) http://www.miaokow.org

Day 4 (Tue 17 Jan) - Danshui

To Martyr's Shrine: Get there by about 8.45 am - Bus from opp Cosmos: 247, 287 -Fare NT15 . From there go to Yuanshan MRT by bus 208 or Red 2, or 21. Then to Xin Beituo - Hotspring then to Danshui about 7 stops away (Alll by MRT)

Fort San Domingo?/Huwei Fort/Fisherman's Wharf - could someone help provide directions to the forts/ Then more night-marketing probably The Red bus 26 Goes to Fisherman's Wharf and passes the Forts. Day 5 (Wed 18 Jan) -

Unplanned...

Appreciate any inputs (places I can drop by/should give a miss)! Thanks =)
I write more once I am back home later, Missed your post Yesterday, busy started cleaning the house for CNY, cant do it all at once.
Old 13-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #2903

zbl_81 itiernary

hmm....now it's my itiernary...thanks to everyone for your help.......

hmm...it's very long winded.....sorry ah....i cut a portion of it from my blog.....for a full and more long winded one, go to my blog.... http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!nwsfQgSIEhurMX0btwQ-/profile

5th jan - at taiwan
reach CKS airport at 5+pm
waited for fren to pick up till nearly 7pm
went railway station to pick up tixs to hualien at ard 9pm(quite a maze there cos the mrt station and a shopping mall r also located at the same building)
reached fren house at ard 9+pm to stay overnite

6th jan - going to hualien
woke up at 5+am
took cab to railway station(NT$105 from nearby huaxi nite mkt to station)
train reached promptly at 645am
took Tze Qiang mount route(ard 3 hrs,NT$443)
Minsu owner picked us up at discussed time at 1015am(must state clearly front or back exit as distance quite far;waling ard 10-15min,car 5min)
Stayed at Teatea house http://teateahome.myweb.hinet.net/room.htm (NT$1500 1st nite for 2pax;NT$1200 2nd nite). Owner Mr Zhang is a very sweet and nice guy...very kind and helpful to us throughout whole trip
placed our stuff and quickly went to hualien ocean park. reach ard 11+am.....stayed there till 5+pm....got a lot of amusement park games...and a few animals shows....the entry tix (NT$890;minsu owner charged us NT$800 including a ride there)allow u limitless rides on the park games.......but not too much variety or scary/thrilling enough......love the animals shows though
but here come the bad part of taiwan.....some cab drivers pestered us to take up rides at NT$300...very ex...one of us was so bad when we turned down their offer that he spoke vugularities at us and honked at us.....we were utterly shocked.....kinda spoilt our day and tarnsihed the good image of taiwanese ppl.....it was that bad...then we took a public bus to the town(NT$37per pax)....shopped ard Zhong shan rd,one of the most busiest st in hualien....bought some goodies.....then went back minsu at 10+pm

7th jan - at hualien
next morning woke at 9+am for breakfast.....went on our way to Tarako Gorge......met at station at 11+am....charged NT$950 for a 1/2 day tour with buffet lunch at the Grand Formosa/Tarako Hotel(forgot name.only remember that it's quite big and beautiful)...It's by Merry Tours...the trip to Tarako Gorge is a definite must-go place in hualien! it's very stunning and beautiful.....only managed to go to Tian Hsiang and Nine-turns trails due to lack of time....very beautiful.....will definitely go there again.......back to city at 5+pm......went straight back to minsu cos very tired....slept til 8pm....then went for dinner.....when we were done, it's ard 10+pm....nite market nearby already closing......only one, Nanbing nite mkt, is too far away.....by car, ard 20min......so went to internet cafe to clear email(2hrs;NT$40)...then back to minsu to pack...slept at 3+am.......

8th jan - last day at hualien...
took 1135am Chu Kwang sea route train back to taipei(4 hrs;NT$343)
Checked in One star hotel at Ximenting. Location very good...it's ard one end of Ximenting but alongside main road so it's very safe...walked past Yang Cheng Ling perforamce which is just opposite the hotel...hotel lobby is small, restaurant is small.....but room good.......however, the toilet is without shower curtain...had a hard time bathing while trying to keep the toilet as dry as possible...rested for a while then went to mrt to go to Danshui. the famous lover brige and fisherman wharf is there. Alighted at Danshui and took a public bus(NT$15) there......it's at the terminal stop.....however, as it's winter period and was raining and chilly, so didn't manage to see the beautiful sunset which it is so famous for....a lot of couples there.....stayed for a while...then went to Danshui Lao Jie(Old St).....only one long st......but got quite a few things to look ard at......then went to Shilin....
traffic in taiwan is a bit more scary than in s'pore....even with the green man on, cars will still cross yr pathways;had a few times seeing that happening,so beware)
bought a top over there...but my fren bought more....a definite recommended place to shop and eat....a must-go...then took last train at 1210am back to hotel...placed our stuff and looked for internet cafe to clear email and surf net(1hr;NT$30)...then back to hotel to rest as all sops were closed at ximenting.....

9th jan - a day to taipei county....
had breakfast at hotel, food selection quite limited. took Kwo Kwang bus to Yeliou at 9+am near railway station......reached ard 11+am i think...can't remember properly...walked ard till 1+pm.....saw the famous Queen's head rock formation at the park(need to pay NT$50 for entry to the park) and walked to the end of Yeliu.....near the power/light station at the tip of the park....saw a few caves there....very quiet and dark there.....and also saw ppl fishing over there....btw, there's a lover's cave/pathway there....tot of mentioning it as it seem that no one in the forum mentioning it at all.....
then took bus to keelung to transit to jiufen...reached ard 2+pm....ate at a cafe over there(a main course+drink;NT$200)...then bought some local products.....the view there was great.....went off at 3+pm.....reached Rueifang at 4+pm in hope of catching train to Taipei......but need to change train...so detour back to Keelung for bus to Taipei...didn't visit the Miaokow nite mkt....only went past it in a bus.....seem quite packed and quite good...also didn't spent time at all at Keelung....cos rushing for Guessx3 recording.....(must plan yr time and itiernary well for trip to these areas well:Yeliu,Keelung,Jiufen,Jingguashi as there's a lot of changing of bus and travelling time)reached Taipei city hall at 6+pm.....took mrt to Kunyang station....then crossed the road to take bus 22 to CTV for Guessx3 recording...only a few stops away....was late for recording as time stated by forum was to be there by 630pm......but instead, waited till 9+pm then recording started...till 1140pm....then took bu back to Kunyang....however miseed the last train....so took cab back to hotel(NT$260)...

10th jan - my fren last day in taiwan
we woke ard 10am....quite tired....packed our stuff and went to Ximenting....but a lot of shops r opened yet as it's still too early for them....went for Ah Zong mian xian.....NT$35 for small bowl;NT$50 for a big bowl...then it's time for my fren to return to s'pore...took a coach NT$170 to airport arranged by hotel at 3pm. pick-up at east Dragon hotel which is just besides One Star.
As for me, took mrt to railway station to stay at Happy Family,a hostel....the owner, Mr Lee, is very kind....he saw that i have a lot of luggage...so instead of the single bedroom at 5th level which he arranged for me, he allowed me to stay in a double bedroom at level 2 at the same rate NT$400...so kind of him.....gotten to know a lot of ppl at the hostel....quite an experience.....room and facilities wise,dun expect too much as it's real cheap.......fee usage of internet...but must be considerate as ppl will use it too.......rested at hostel till 4+pm....then explored ard the area....went to Shinkong store at the railway station(didn't went to K Mall and the newly opened shopping mall there....so silly)...shopped ard for a while....as it's like S'pore shopping mall...so didn't spend muh time there....then walked ard the streets...a lot of students ard...a lot of bookstores too....without knowing, walked till Ximenting again....ate at Ah Zong mian xian again...saw some tv station filming footage of the stalls there....then went back hostel to check up for info on the net.....

11th jan - trip to Sun Moon Lake
didn't took the tip suggested in the forum - train to Taichung and take tour offered over there.....cos a bit out of my budget....
took 9am Kwo Kwang bus direct to SML instead at NT$840. Reached ard 1+pm.....looked ard...but it's quite a small town....then bought the tix to view lake by a small boat(NT$300)....but waited from 1+pm till 3+pm still no trip to tour lake....reason? cos no other tourists taking the boat.....nearly cried....cos spent so much time and effort and $$$ to come to SML....however, when they saw that i have waited for so long, they get 2 locals to come along for the boat tour....however, i stood at a disadvantage...i need to pay NT$400 instead of NT$300 as fewer ppl...also my tour of the lake will be cut to 20 min instead of 1+hr....as i need to rush for my bus back to Taipei at 410pm....i took up the offer...cos i think i will not cme back to SML again.......quite pretty....but may not recommend to ppl as there dun seem to be anything much except for the lake....too much time, money and effort needed to go SML itself....but will recommend ppl to go there on a weekend including a trip to the aboriginal village nearby....cos bascially SML and the village is dead except during weekend!!!!!!
Reached ack Taipei at 8+pm...rushed to Taipei City Mall to see see look look at Shinkong shopping belt at that area...it's newly opened on 1st Jan 2006....very huge shopping belt.....but as i reached there ard 9pm....and shops close at 930pm....so didn't see much...took pics of Taipei 101.....at 10+pm...took mrt to Zhonghsiao area....dun have any streets vendors selling clothes...think it's only for weekend ba?! also got a lot of shops closed....but still have a lot of those individualistic shops and cafes operating...Luxy, one of the happening joints, is just located inside one of the builidngs...took last train at 1206am back to railway station to hostel.....opps....i forgot to add that at Taipei city Hall mrt station....saw Warner Village(the cinema mall;just across Shinkong)...last show was 1+am....$ ard NT$285...more ex to watch show in taiwan than in s'pore....New York New York just besides it.
Old 13-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #2904

12th jan - last day in taiwan
woke up at 9+am....tried to get bus tixs to CKS airport till 12+pm....cos caught in heavy rain and also cos a lot of bus agency dun drive to CKS....asked almost all the agencies there...the only 2 buses to CKS as what they said were Dayou and Kwo Kwang.....bought the bus tix to CKS from Kwo Kwang at NT$125. Then took mrt to Xindian then changed bus to Wulai(Xindian to Wulai;by bus-NT$40;by cab-i heard it's NT$100) Reached wulai at 1pm....rushed ard to view scenery....took tram ride NT$50per way up the slope to view waterfall...quite okie....then ate at a aboriginal shop...ate lu ruo fan for NT$25..then took tram back to base station...then bought xiao mi jiu(rice wine) at NT$500 for 4 bottles.....then took bus back to Xindian......took cab from Xindian to hostel for NT$200+.....quickly rushed out of hostel as it's already 3+pm..i m rushing for 335pm bus to CKS.....missed it due to bad road traffic.....so took cab to CKS......was crying on the cab....cos was so afraid of missing my flight as the road traffic was bad.....was supposed to pay NT$770 but as the cab driver was the one that got me stuck in the bad road traffic,thus missing my bus and also he know that i dun have much $$$ with me liao...so he just get me to pay $380.....hee heee...so happy....reached airport at 5pm.....quickly checked in....excess bagagge....NT$100 for 1kg...paid NT$800 by my debit card......
then it's back to S'pore!!!!!!
Old 13-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #2905

Thanks nuttyazn
Really appreciate the directions (bus services etc) especially!! We really want to maximise what we can especially around Taipei city and not having go back and forth on the train
Is the itinerary for Day 2 you mentioned the recommended one to follow in order (i.e. CKS/Longshan/101/Warner/Ximending)? If so I'd gladly stick with it

Day 3 still seems a bit unfilled to me... can I spend the entire day at Keelung/Jiufen and still end up at Miaokow (the temple street market?) that opens only in the evening I suppose?

Was thinking of trying a public hot bath at Beitou... just so I have tried it... although every one here seems to have booked private baths?

zbl -> nice trip you had! lol @ the excess baggage!

Last edited by Scientist; 13-01-2006 at 10:23 PM..
Old 13-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #2906

Is the itinerary for Day 2 you mentioned the recommended one to follow in order (i.e. CKS/Longshan/101/Warner/Ximending)? If so I'd gladly stick with it

The route is correct. Some places open earlier than others so it is best to cover them in the Mornings.

Day 3 still seems a bit unfilled to me... can I spend the entire day at Keelung/Jiufen and still end up at Miaokow (the temple street market?) that opens only in the evening I suppose?

To get to Jioufen from Taipei city directly :

From the Exit #1 at MRT Stop: Zhongxiao-Fuxing, You can take a Keelung Bus to
Jiofen and Jingashih. From there a Keelung bus to Keelung. Miaokow is open 24 hrs 365 days a year. Keelung is also an interesting place:If you finish early, you can came back to Taipei and visit Gonguang NM, (Gongunag MRT Exit 4) and Shida NM i(Shida MRT in that order. )
http://www.klcg.gov.tw/english/e/e_list.asp

Was thinking of trying a public hot bath at Beitou... just so I have tried it... although every one here seems to have booked private baths?

NO problems on the Public Pools. All these establishments have a Private and Public areas. The Public areas not private but a lot cheaper as well. Go for it and we can look forward to your report as well

Note: Day 2 Ximeneting is great in the Afternoons after 1pm (Autograph signings and Promos by Stars), so you can go there CKS Mem, Longshan, Dihua St (Keep stuff at Hotel) Ximenting till 4.30pm then 101 building, Warner Villlage and back to Ximenting or Shihlin.

Your Day 5- Is that the day you depart in the Evening?? If so, you can do the Front Station mall, Taipei City Mall: These are the Undergroung malls of the Taipei main Station. Next to the Hotel. After which you can have your lunch and then walk to the CKS Bus Terminus near the Hotel, Turn right and keep walking passed all the Bus stops till you see this sign:

http://crazy_azn1.tripod.com/taiwan/id10.html

Have a good trip here.

PS : To get to your Hotel, take the KuoKuang Bus to Taipei Main Station, They drop you of at the East Entrance, Walk down the road and turn left, Cosmos is there, abt 2 mins away. Dont forget to pick up maps at the Info counter at the Main Station

Last edited by nuttyazn; 13-01-2006 at 11:38 PM..
Old 13-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #2907

Thanks nutt was waiting for ya reply hehe

One last thing, was thinking of squeezing Wufenpu and Raohe night market (from previous posts)... can I get there easily from say, Taipei 101 area or Taipei Main Station.

Many thanks again, look forward to telling you guys how it went when I get back!
Old 14-01-2006, 12:17 AM   #2908
Supremacy Member

hmm..so taroko gorge is a must go for hua lian rite? what else is gd in hua lian?
do u think its fesible for me to take a train down to hua lian from taipei and reach there at night.
check into hotel and go for the taroko gorge tour the nex morning? after tour den i take trrain back to taipei again

u gt the url for qian tai fan dian? or how to write it in chinese?
I would think Taroko Gorge is the main attraction in Hua Lien? The main tour highlights includes Marble Factory, Swallow Grotto, Shakadang trail, Taroko Gorge, Ci Mu bridge and Martyrís Shrin temple that we took up from Qian Tai Fan Dian.

From the experiences posted in this forum, if you are not staying over in Hua Lien ... it will be good to take the earliest train from Taipei to Hua Lien, take up a tour (either by travel agencies or you can approach any of the cab drivers who act as tour guide as well) to bring you around the main attractions in Hua Lien.

We had actually wanted to do this as well but suddenly thought that we can take the last train to Hua Lien and stayover for the night. From Hua Lien, we will take up the one day tour. Hence, that was what we did! Then return to Taipei taking the night train.

However, you have to book the train tickets in advance lest there are no more seats for the time slots that you want. Especially so if the time slot that you want is hot! Also, i realised that the person who sell you the train tickets might not give you seats side by side. Cos i was seated with my gf for our trip to Hua Lien. But we were assigned different seats on our way back to Taipei. The good thing is, we managed to change seat with the person who was supposed to sit besides me so that i can sit with my gf. But if you don't mind not sitting with your friends, it should be alright.

Nope, i ain't got the URL. It is actually very easy to spot the Fan Dian. When you stepped out of the train station, just walk straight and cross a road and you will be able to see it. The signboard is in red and hung up high on the Fan Dian.

Last edited by ralfale; 14-01-2006 at 12:38 AM..
Old 14-01-2006, 02:29 AM   #2909

I would think Taroko Gorge is the main attraction in Hua Lien? The main tour highlights includes Marble Factory, Swallow Grotto, Shakadang trail, Taroko Gorge, Ci Mu bridge and Martyrís Shrin temple that we took up from Qian Tai Fan Dian.

From the experiences posted in this forum, if you are not staying over in Hua Lien ... it will be good to take the earliest train from Taipei to Hua Lien, take up a tour (either by travel agencies or you can approach any of the cab drivers who act as tour guide as well) to bring you around the main attractions in Hua Lien.

We had actually wanted to do this as well but suddenly thought that we can take the last train to Hua Lien and stayover for the night. From Hua Lien, we will take up the one day tour. Hence, that was what we did! Then return to Taipei taking the night train.

However, you have to book the train tickets in advance lest there are no more seats for the time slots that you want. Especially so if the time slot that you want is hot! Also, i realised that the person who sell you the train tickets might not give you seats side by side. Cos i was seated with my gf for our trip to Hua Lien. But we were assigned different seats on our way back to Taipei. The good thing is, we managed to change seat with the person who was supposed to sit besides me so that i can sit with my gf. But if you don't mind not sitting with your friends, it should be alright.

Nope, i ain't got the URL. It is actually very easy to spot the Fan Dian. When you stepped out of the train station, just walk straight and cross a road and you will be able to see it. The signboard is in red and hung up high on the Fan Dian.
so u r recommending to take a night train to hua lien and stay in the fan dian..after whh nex morning go for tour..and finally take the night train back? correcT?

where can i find travel agencies for hua lian? in hua lian itself or should do it in taipei?
Old 14-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #2910

ya...i tink taroko is the main attraction of hualien la...i suggest u take the night train back to taipei( this is wat i did )....i spent the whole day time in hualien, and i felt abit tired n bored after the tour, so we decided to head back taipei to rest....after the rest, we actually headed to gongguan for dinner/supper....

i'm kinda city person...so i dun really like to spend the night there as i heard from the kind driver tat theres nothing much to do at night there...=)
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.